Suse Linux 11.3 Freezes after upgrade

Hi,

I installed Suse 11.3 and it freezes randomly. No mouse control, keyboard. Sometimes the screen renders just the part of it, mostly top part of the screen and then freezes. I’ve gone through the /var/log/messages and I found this last line prior to restart (not sure if this is relevant)
linux-fcvk kernel: [185.318403] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PFIFO_DMA_PUSHER - Ch 1

Can you please help?

Thanks,

Gali

I installed Suse 11.3 and it freezes randomly. No mouse control, keyboard. Sometimes the screen renders just the part of it, mostly top part of the screen and then freezes. I’ve gone through the /var/log/messages and I found this last line prior to restart (not sure if this is relevant)
linux-fcvk kernel: [185.318403] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PFIFO_DMA_PUSHER - Ch 1

Can you please help?

Thanks,

Gali

So you may want to add the kernel load option nomodeset to the standard startup of openSUSE (not failsafe as that command is already there). Just type in nomodeset and then press the enter key and see if that allows your setup to function. This command can be added to the /boot/grub/menu.lst file with root user access. This command changes which video driver is loaded. If it helps, you might tell us more about your computer and video hardware. Also, openSUSE 11.4 is the most current released product, why did you elect to load version 11.3? Have you attempted to fully update your installation online?

Thank You,

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 00:36:02 +0000, pastorduijang wrote:

> Can you please help?

A little more from the log and some information on your hardware would
probably help someone troubleshoot the issue. All I can pick up from
your post is that you probably have some sort of nVidia video card and
are using the OSS nouveau driver.

That’s not really enough to diagnose the problem with.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

That’s not really enough to diagnose the problem with.

Jim

Unless you are drinking beer at the time and then it seems like quite enough information to make a snap decision with. lol!

Thank You,

@jdmcdaniel3,

Thanks dude! this worked indeed :slight_smile:

So this has something to do with the video driver huh. My video card is a RIVA TNT2 on AMD Duron 1.1 (old rig but works just fine)

Why not 11.4? I just happen to have the installation kit of the 11.3 already but I’ll upgrade this to 11.4 soon.

@jdmcdaniel3,

Thanks dude! this worked indeed :slight_smile:

So this has something to do with the video driver huh. My video card is a RIVA TNT2 on AMD Duron 1.1 (old rig but works just fine)

Why not 11.4? I just happen to have the installation kit of the 11.3 already but I’ll upgrade this to 11.4 soon.

Well first I am happy to hear that this command worked and it is the same that you would use with openSUSE 11.4 should you upgrade again. As for upgrading, in just a few more months, openSUSE 12.1 comes out. If you have spent anytime at all getting openSUSE 11.3 working, I think I would just sit back, relax, use what you have and wait for the next big update to arrive on Thu, Nov 10 2011, which is when the next big openSUSE 12.1 Public Release date occurs.

Thank You,