SUSE 11.1 on DC7800 - SoundMax Problem

Hi,
I just bought SUSE 11.1, installed on my HP DC7800 and I’m wow’d by it - I’m now well in the process of ditching Vista (except for Flight Simulator), but I can’t get sound to work normally on SUSE via Yast. The card shows as 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller. If I configure it via YAST, I hear a brief double-click and an error-window pops up…

YaST got signal 11 at YCP file sound/complex.ycp:601
/sbin/yast2: line 437: 30061 Segmentation fault $ybindir/y2base $module “$@” “$SELECTED_GUI” $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARGS

If I ‘delete’ the item via Yast, when I exit Yast, the error pops up…

YaST got signal 11 at YCP file sound/complex.ycp:601
/sbin/yast2: line 437: 30713 Segmentation fault $ybindir/y2base $module “$@” “$SELECTED_GUI” $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARGS

If instead I use alsaconf, then it does work OK. Is there a problem with my installation, or is there a Yast problem?

Thanks,
Jack

YaST does not work in all cases, just like alsaconf does not work in all cases (but they both work in most).

If it works after running alsaconf, then IMHO its best to stick with that. ie if it is not broke, why fix it ?

Do you have to run alsaconf everytime you restart your PC, or is just running it once sufficient for all subsequent reboots ?

Note my replies may be very slow and intermittent. I’m currently on vacation away from Europe, in the middle of my vacation (thus far having visited Bangkok, MaCau, Shenzhen, and Hong Kong), currently in Phuket, and planning on visiting Koh Lak, Koh Lanta Island, Krabi and Phi-Phi Islands before returning via Bangkok to Frankfurt.

Good luck.

Thanks for the fast reply; I agree that if its OK with alsaconf then leave as is - just the once did it, so everything works fine from then on. It was just the suspicion that I’d somehow got a flawed install and that this sound thing was symptomatic of something wrong with Yast or my underlying installation.
I’ll stop worrying :slight_smile:

Enjoy your trip - cheers.
Jack