Stripy cursor and text

Hi,

Two weeks ago I got me a new computer, based on the AMD chipset (MDB AM2 FOXCONN A690VM2MA VISTA). A week later I downloaded the install CD for Suse 11.0, and performed an Internet install. This was, I believe, the fourth install of Suse I performed.

After installation I noticed that when I move my cursor I got a very stripy cursor, which made positioning the cursor very difficult. Scrolling a page down made the text stripy also. And with stripy I mean that the cursor or text is obscured by horizontal lines.

I asked advice from a co-worker. Sadly his experience is in Ubuntu, not in Suse. But he said this was a problem he had experience with himself. He said the problem was caused by (the driver of) my graphical card. If I remember correctly, a Radeon driver is used. But if I read the order form of my supplier correctly, this is the wrong one. The form has “ONBOARD AMD690V 2D/3D PCIE” as entry for the VGA.

So, the big question is, how will I solve my problem? Instruct Suse that Radeon is the incorrect driver. If so, how?

TIA,
Abel

Abel,

in Yast, enable the ATI community repository and install the proprietary ATI driver.

HTH
Uwe