Steam + Left 4 Dead 2 dosn't run after updates

Hello,

Yesterday apper accounce a couple of updates, actually quite a few, and i installed them all. However, right after that trying to run Left 4 Dead 2 game (under steam) would not work. No error given, nothing. Deleting and reinstalling the game didn’t work either. So i launched steam from a terminal, and i got this error while trying to launch the game.

(steam:27191): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.
Failed to load the launcher (/home/radu/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Left 4 Dead 2/bin/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found (required by /home/radu/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Left 4 Dead 2/bin/libtier0.so))
Game removed: AppID 550 "Left 4 Dead 2 (Beta)", ProcID 31807 

(steam:27191): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

glib is installed, i double checked. Can anyone help ?

I don’t know what is wrong, but you can use the following terminal command to see what was installed just before it stopped working and post the most recent updates for us to see.

rpm -q --all --last

Thank You,

Hello! How can you start left for dead 2? I try to run it, but i see only black screen. :frowning:

To see error in steam you need to start it through the command-line.

Did you try what jdmcdaniel3 suggested, if you do not know how, ask us.

Steam and Left for Dead 2 are still working pretty good over here.

In general a better place to report these problem is on the steam for Linux forums, and if that does not help, look here:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux

But it seems the problem is on your site, so this forum might be the best place for this issue.

Open up the command line and paste the command given by jdmcdaniel3 and hit enter.
Then copy paste the code here.

Use the # button, so it wont mess up the code.

The message trying to remove a child which does not believe were its parents,is not a show stopper.

This one is though:

Failed to load the launcher (/home/radu/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Left 4 Dead 2/bin/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15' not found 

Sorry been away for a while. Now i’m back, and decided to reinstall opensuse, it takes 20-30 minutes and i just wanna play :). However, same error, it’s a segmentation fault. Been over all forums, tried all the possible tweaks, nothing.

/home/radu/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 704:  7008 Segmentation fault      $STEAM_DEBUGGER "$STEAMROOT/$PLATFORM/$STEAMEXE" "$@"
Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = yes
response: CrashID=bp-c2be8083-8b97-4a96-bc4d-2981a2130716

actually now that i think about it, after reinstalling i did let all the updates…so it makes no difference from what i had before. I can’t install anything, either Left 4 Dead 2 or Dota…or if i just leave Steam open for a while…same error. It does work in offline mode without any errors. So…maybe it’s something flash related ? think i read somewhere that steam uses flash for their store. Any ideeas would be apreciated

oh yea…and before DD comes and trolls me again :

I use OpenSuse 12.3 + KDE, Nvidia with 319 installed via Nvidia repos in OpenSuse. I also tried the 325 with manual install but i got the same error, so i don’t think that it’s the driver.

Hi rbarsoianu,

Take a look at this posts, which covers your same issue and error message:

ubuntu 13.04 raring not starting :: Left 4 Dead 2 Beta General Discussions

It’s not your system glibc to blame, but rather the local steam version L4D2 is using.

In my case, I only have one steam version of libstdc++.so.6:

.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Left 4 Dead 2/bin/dedicated/libstdc++.so.6

I don’t have one in bin/dedicated as indicated in the post above, and my game launches fine.

You can find all instances with:

find ~/.local/share/Steam/  -iname "libstdc*"

If you installed L4D2 earlier in the Beta, or are subscribed to the beta channel for it, you may well have multiple versions.

Also, if you need to install a newer version the following resources may help, though I’ve not used steamcmd myself:

Re : hlds_linux left4dead2-beta

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD

Cheers,
LewsTherin

Hy,

I have the newest steam installed, i’m not inside the beta, and the install is fresh. The problem for me now it’s not that i cannot play Left 4 Dead 2, it’s that i can’t even download it. Neither Dota 2, neither anything. As soon as i open Steam, it crashes within 5 minutes. Sometimes it takes 10 secconds…sometimes it’s donwloading another 1% of Left 4 Dead before crashing.
So i do not have a

./Left 4 Dead 2 Beta/bin/dedicated/libstdc++.so.6 

A search of that library comes out with

radu@linux-1ud9:~> find ~/.local/share/Steam/  -iname "libstdc*"
/home/radu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/installed/libstdc++6_4.6.3-1ubuntu5_i386.md5
/home/radu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/installed/libstdc++6-4.6-pic_4.6.3-1ubuntu5_i386
/home/radu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/installed/libstdc++6-4.6-pic_4.6.3-1ubuntu5_i386.md5
/home/radu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/installed/libstdc++6_4.6.3-1ubuntu5_i386
/home/radu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/share/doc/libstdc++6
/home/radu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/share/doc/libstdc++6-4.6-pic
/home/radu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
/home/radu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6.0.16
/home/radu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/4.6/libstdc++_pic.a
/home/radu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/4.6/libstdc++_pic.map
/home/radu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime.old/i386/usr/share/doc/libstdc++6
/home/radu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime.old/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
/home/radu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime.old/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6.0.16
/home/radu/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/downloading/550/bin/dedicated/libstdc++.so.6

I deleted the one in “downloading” directory, Steam crashed in under 1 seccond after that

Made some progress thou, tried to skip the steam client and install it via steam cmd, so no flash no nothing, just a simple download. And it fails :). Here is the output :

Steam>app_update 550 -beta beta validate
 Initial App state (0x402) update required
 App state (0x10502) reconfiguring, progress: 0.00 (0 / 0)
 App state (0x300502) downloading, progress: 48.96 (6619678458 / 13519979364)
 App state (0x300502) downloading, progress: 49.12 (6641468718 / 13519979364)
 App state (0x300502) downloading, progress: 49.12 (6641468718 / 13519979364)
 App state (0x300502) downloading, progress: 49.12 (6641505509 / 13519979364)
 App state (0x300502) downloading, progress: 49.12 (6641505509 / 13519979364)
 App state (0x300502) downloading, progress: 49.12 (6641672514 / 13519979364)
./steamcmd.sh: line 30:  6087 Segmentation fault      $DEBUGGER "$STEAMROOT/$PLATFORM/$STEAMEXE" "$@"

On a different note i tried last night a fresh install of OS + Steam for Ubuntu (12.04), Linux Mint 15 and Fedora 19. It works perfect under all of them (actually not that perfect…under fedora it starts to slow everything down after 1h of gametime…gnome shell goes crazy and eats 2 gb of ramm). Anyway, it does seem to be an OpenSuse only related bug.

any1 ? any ideeas to get me started in some direction

Looking at line 30 of steamcmd.sh it appear to be within the conditional checking for gdb. Do you have gdb installed?

You might want to add set -x to the start of the bash which may provide some additional useful information on why it is failing at that point.

2 much headake. I’m not ussualy lazy but this is taking 2 long to play. So i just reinstalled everything, currently L4D2 is at 61%, 0 errors. The only thing that i did different than my previous install was not to encrypt my hdd holding /home. Don’t know if it’s related or not, and i still have 39% to go untill the install finishes, but i keep my fingers crossed.

Google Translator

Hello!

I found a solution to start the Valve games I was having trouble starting the latest Steam updates.
Just install xfce4 (xfce4-session, xfce4-session-branding-openSUSE and xfce4-notifyd) and log in with XFCE, carries with it the start Steam and ready you can now exit Steam and waxing session XFCE (taking into account that if you had to do it you do not use XFCE), start your preferred GUI, in my case KDE and Valve games will be worked.
I believe that this occurs because of Steam BOX, which must be configured to run XFCE, just so explains the dependence.

Up!

Texto Original!

Olá!

Encontrei uma solução para iniciar os jogos da Valve que estava tendo problemas para iniciar nas ultimas atualizações da Steam.
É só instalar o xfce4 (xfce4-session, xfce4-session-branding-openSUSE e xfce4-notifyd) e iniciar a sessão com o XFCE, com ela carrega inicie o Steam e pronto você já pode sair do Steam e encerar a sessão do XFCE (levando em conta que se você teve que fazer isto você não usa o XFCE), iniciar a sua GUI preferida, no meu caso KDE e os games Valve estarão funcionado.
Acredito que isto ocorra por causa do Steam BOX, que deve estar configurado para rodar o XFCE, só assim explica a dependência.

Até!

It should be fixed in the current version now, please retest.