Steam crash when Downloading a game

hi there .

after i start steam when i downloading a game after a few minutes its crash.

this is the log:

Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1378500910_client)
ExecCommandLine: "/home/habernir/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam"
System startup time: 6.27 seconds
Generating new string page texture 72: 128x256, total string texture memory is 442.37 KB
Generating new string page texture 73: 128x256, total string texture memory is 131.07 KB
Running Steam on   64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME has been set by the user to: /home/habernir/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime
Generating new string page texture 74: 32x256, total string texture memory is 475.14 KB
Generating new string page texture 75: 64x256, total string texture memory is 540.67 KB
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1378500910_client)
ExecCommandLine: "/home/habernir/.steam/root/ubuntu12_32/steam steam://open/driverhelperready"
ExecSteamURL: "steam://open/driverhelperready"
[0912/090438:ERROR:cef_context.cc(499)] No data resource available for id 4501
Generating new string page texture 98: 128x256, total string texture memory is 671.74 KB
Generating new string page texture 99: 384x256, total string texture memory is 1.06 MB
Generating new string page texture 100: 256x256, total string texture memory is 1.33 MB
Generating new string page texture 101: 128x256, total string texture memory is 1.46 MB
Generating new string page texture 102: 8x256, total string texture memory is 1.47 MB
Uploading dump (out-of-process) [proxy '']
/tmp/dumps/assert_20130912090428_1.dmp
/home/habernir/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 704:  5615 Segmentation fault      $STEAM_DEBUGGER "$STEAMROOT/$PLATFORM/$STEAMEXE" "$@"
Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = no
error: HTTP response code said error

you can see that the last error its “error: HTTP response code said error”

anyone know how i can fix it?

i add

87.248.210.253 media.steampowered.com

to /etc/hosts

but it doesn’t work

We need some more information.
Do you use WLAN? How fast is your Download-time and which DSL do you have?
Which game do you want to have?

i don’t use wireless and i have 15Mbit download speed .

in the past when i use ubuntu steam work ok soo i think that the problem its in using steam in opensuse, no?

the game that i try to download and install in steam its L2D2

You get only deb-files and tar.gz there.
I have found this README for Steam.
Test it, please and give us feedback about it.
That’s looking like you can download the software, but you can’t execute steam.sh.

Best regards.

thanks but i download and install from this repo:

Index of /repositories/games/openSUSE_12.3

i mean that i download and install from this repo but the problem is still here

I have found the page Steam - openSUSE , where you can read:

Some users report that newer updates of the Steam client temporarily require starting with the following command to avoid a crash. Also users report missing sound in video-clips and games. Try to load Steam without local runtime to solve this:

$ STEAM_RUNTIME=0 steam

Loading Steam without local runtime means loading without the pre-bundled libraries that Steam delivers within the package. These could be older versions, with bugs resolved in newer versions, already installed on your system. Steam will attempt to use the ones installed on your system, when started with this option.

I hope, that can help you.

thanks a lot .
i will try that

This is very confusing. The OP here is Haber_Nir. Now this “thanks for helping” post is from habernir2008.

Please Haber_Nir, can you explain if somebody here is mimmicking as you?

When that is not the case and both are the same person, then you must be aware that our T&C say:

Members may not create or use secondary accounts for deceptive purposes including but not limited to: circumventing the T&C, rejoining the community after being banned or blocked, circumventing staff actions or directions, or posting as different persons

There is also an extensive paragraph there that tells you what to do if you want to change your forum id.

its me i use habernir2008 because Haber_Nir its connect to an OLD mail and i try to change it but its not let me change (also in novell site i try) soo i use habernir2008 from now. and its will not happen again.

i try it and this is the result :

habernir@linux-ke2t:~> STEAM_RUNTIME=0 steam
Running Steam on   64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is disabled by the user
unlinked 0 orphaned pipes
[0916/184715:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager was not provided by any .service files
[0916/184715:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(958)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation
/home/buildbot/buildslave_steam/steam_rel_client_ubuntu12_linux/build/src/steamUI/../common/steam/client_api.cpp (290) : Assertion Failed: ClientAPI_InitGlobalInstance: InternalAPI_Init_Internal failed.

Assert( Assertion Failed: ClientAPI_InitGlobalInstance: InternalAPI_Init_Internal failed.
 ):/home/buildbot/buildslave_steam/steam_rel_client_ubuntu12_linux/build/src/steamUI/../common/steam/client_api.cpp:290

Uploading dump (out-of-process) [proxy '']
/tmp/dumps/assert_20130916184715_5.dmp
/home/buildbot/buildslave_steam/steam_rel_client_ubuntu12_linux/build/src/steamUI/SteamStartup.cpp (652) : Assertion Failed: ! "There was a problem with your Steam installation.
" "Please reinstall steam.
"
unlinked 2 orphaned pipes
CAsyncIOManager: 0 threads terminating.  0 reads, 0 writes, 0 deferrals.
CAsyncIOManager: 57 single object sleeps, 0 multi object sleeps
CAsyncIOManager: 0 single object alertable sleeps, 1 multi object alertable sleeps
[2013-09-16 18:47:14] Startup - updater built Sep  6 2013 12:04:22
[2013-09-16 18:47:14] Verifying installation...
[2013-09-16 18:47:14] Verification complete
Shutting down. . .
[2013-09-16 18:47:15] Shutdown
Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = yes
response: CrashID=bp-5cb4e204-3bf0-4d1e-9c2b-832c92130916
habernir@linux-ke2t:~>

Please read the part in the T&C about how to chance your e-mail and act accordingly.

i just fill the contact form in the link you gave me and hope they answer back because i can’t login in the old email.

and AdaLovelace or hcvv do you know how to solve the last error about steam?

I PMed you about that. When you get no answer, please PM me again.

Sorry, no knowledge of this subject from my side. I am not a gamer at all. Your two “faces” were reported to the mods and I try to sort out the mess. I hope more knowledgable people will tune in to help you.

I’m not a gamer, but wanted to help you with the installation.
The new error-message is more helpful.
That’s a general Bug of Steam. You can ask the Steam-Community about that: General Discussions :: Steam Client Beta

Good luck!

I have no experience with steam either.
But googling for your error message brought up this: Gentoo Forums :: View topic - [Solved] Steam linux client failing to start
There they solved it by running steam with:

STEAM_RUNTIME=1 steam

And another search result implied that running:

steam --reset

could help either (you should then try to run steam normally afterwards, i.e. without STEAM_RUNTIME).
This should only reset the steam client, all game data should remain intact.

thanks but after its download 13-20% of L2D2 it crash and display the next message:

“error: HTTP response code said error”

i will wait for the next steam client version.

thanks all , Nir.

I have seen games crashing during download on Steam on several distro’s, not just OpenSUSE.

In fact I have found to be the most stable of all of them.

On my machine I have an SSD. I traced the problem to the SSD going into a locked state due to some power management bug in firmware or the Linux kernel (or both).
The way to clear the problem for me is to do an orderly shutdown of the computer & disconnect the power (in my case turning off the power switch on the power supply at the back of the computer). Then power back on & restarting.
Game downloads then go back to normal.

I have found the least problems by using the i686 version of OpenSUSE (specifically 32 bit PAE Desktop kernel).

Regards
Chris

the last steam update (20 sep) look like they fix this problem (until now this is work ok)