spew of SYSFS{}= will be removed in a future udev version, please use ATTR{}

I’ve upgraded to latest milestone suse 11.3 and I get a slew of these errors when machine boots:

Apr 12 11:13:39 localhost udevd[441]: SYSFS{}= will be removed in a future udev version, please use ATTR{}= to match the event device, or ATTRS{}= to match a parent device, in /etc/udev/rules.d
/51-gpsd.rules:10

these are interspersed with the occasional error

Apr 12 11:13:39 localhost udevd[441]: can not read ‘/etc/udev/rules.d/79-yast2-drivers.rules’

the file mentioned is empty:

ls -la /etc/udev/rules.d/79-yast2-drivers.rules

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 Sep 8 2009 /etc/udev/rules.d/79-yast2-drivers.rules

I have checked my old backups and it appears this file has been empty a long time - before I upgraded it was dated Sept 8th 2009

any advice on what to do?

here’s the SYSFS entries in my udev/rules.d files

/etc/udev/rules.d # grep SYSFS *
51-hso-udev.rules:#SYSFS{idVendor}==“0af0”, SYSFSidProduct}==“6911”, RUN+="/sbin/modprobe hso"
51-hso-udev.rules:#SYSFS{idVendor}==“0af0”, SYSFSidProduct}==“c031”, PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c ‘uname -r’", RUN+="/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/%c/kernel/drivers/net/wwan/hso.ko debug=0xff"
51-hso-udev.rules:#SYSFS{idVendor}==“0af0”, SYSFSidProduct}==“d013”, PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c ‘uname -r’", RUN+="/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/%c/kernel/drivers/net/wwan/hso.ko debug=0xff"
51-hso-udev.rules:#SYSFS{idVendor}==“0af0”, SYSFSidProduct}==“d033”, PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c ‘uname -r’", RUN+="/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/%c/kernel/drivers/net/wwan/hso.ko debug=0xff"
51-hso-udev.rules:#SYSFS{idVendor}==“05c6”, SYSFSidProduct}==“1000”, PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c ‘uname -r’", RUN+="/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/%c/kernel/drivers/net/wwan/hso.ko debug=0xff"
51-usb-modeswitch.rules:SUBSYSTEM==“block”, SYSFS{idProduct}==“5010”, SYSFS{idVendor}==“1410”, RUN="/bin/eject %k"
52-irda.rules:# check if SYSFS product description contains IrDA and restart irda
55-hpmud.rules:# SYSFS{idVendor} to ATTR{idVendor} and
55-hpmud.rules:# SYSFS{idProduct to ATTR{idProduct}
55-hpmud.rules:# because SYSFS is deprecated and ATTR works for openSUSE.

BTW, my 11.3milestone install is an 11.2 that’s been upgraded by loop-back mounting the ISO images, added them as repos and doing a zypper dup (with care as I have build factory repos too)

Hello,

getting a lot of these errors

udevd[473]: can not read '/etc/udev/rules.d/79-yast2-drivers.rules'

after fresh install of MS6. Curiously just on one of two tested system’s.

Anything critical ?

Regards, pepun

I fixed the problem by
a/ deleting the empty file /etc/udev/rules.d/79-yast2-drivers.rules
b/ uninstalling usb_modeswitch which had the troublesome SYSFS entries

what made me take such drastic action was the discovery that udev was eating a lot of CPU generating these log messages as fast as it could, and then rsyslog was being hammered and eating the rest of that CPU’s core, so my machine was generally running very badly and quite hot.

Ok,

a zypper dup to MS 7 removed the problem. Fine.

Regards, user2304.