sound problem, Sound Blaster Z PCIe, KDE

Hello. I just installed the multimedia package. I’m playing music through Amarok. I usually use ‘VLC’, but haven’t installed it yet. I have MSI motherboard and sound blaster z audio.

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/sound-blaster-z.aspx

I’ve setup the sound card(s) audio with yast, nothing happens. I can try motherboard audio. Need help.

On 04-01-2016 22:06, lord valarian wrote:
>
> Hello. I just installed the multimedia package. I’m playing music
> through Amarok. I usually use ‘VLC’, but haven’t installed it yet. I
> have MSI motherboard and sound blaster z audio.
>
> http://www.soundblaster.com/products/sound-blaster-z.aspx
>
> I’ve setup the sound card(s) audio with yast, nothing happens. I can try
> motherboard audio. Need help.
>
>
hi
Have you try to install pavucontrol ?
Some times it works. Other more digging is needed.

Try to paste here the result of :
cat /proc/asound/cards

And also , you could run a > also-info.sh (type this your shell) , and
paste the result link here.

This way, you are giving more information, so someone can help.
Also , search for a thread “xfce no sound”
I had similar issue, and I had help to fix it. The procedure has to be
more or less the same.

I seem to duplicated this message. OPPS, but i’lll answer them both anyway. Here:

https://forums.opensuse.org/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=511882

FYI…

I’ll be able to post later, once I gather the info.

cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xfe080000 irq 30
 1 [Creative       ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Creative
                      HDA Creative at 0xfe404000 irq 31

And also , you could run a > also-info.sh (type this your shell) , and
paste the result link here.

Can you clear that up? ??

alsa-info.sh is a diagnostic script that provides detailed information on a PC’s audio configuration under GNU/Linux such that we can then figure out why the audio does not work.

To run that you need to open an Xterm/konsole when the PC is connected to the internet, and with regular user permissions enter:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh

and let the script run to completion. Select “UPLOAD/SHARE” when prompted. When the script completes it will tell you where the ALSA information is located. Please copy the http address here in this thread so that we can look and see what the content may be.

Armed with that information we may be able to give you a suggestion on how to get your sound working.

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=7394134e3c1fa8176aef1532b5418f15c09408a5

I think I see the problem with your PC sound setup.

If one’s PC has multiple sound devices (which I will call ‘cards’), then by default, GNU/Linux will send sound to card-0 (and not to card-1). Your PC is setup with an HDMI device as card-0 and your analogue sound as card-1. Nominally one’s speakers are connected to analogue sound device (while a TV will be connected to HDMI connector). Hence it is likely your PC’s sound applications are trying to send sound to the HDMI device - and you have nothing connected to that.

Unfortunately both analog and HDMI devices use the same alsa ‘intel’ driver (alsa module as indicated below). YaST does not work well for reassigning sound devices if they use the same sound driver.

There are two approaches I know of to better configure your sound so that it will work:

1. one is to take advantage of pulse audio, and install the application ‘pavucontrol’ and use that to redirect your sound to card-1 on an application by application basis (as pavucontrol allows one to control the routing of sound an a per application basis).
  2. the other is to perform a custom edit to the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file, such that when your PC boots sound card-0 will be the analog sound and sound card-1 will be the HDMI and all applications will then send sound to sound-card-0 which is the analog sound where your speakers are likely connected

The following addresses approach #2. Having typed that, you may prefer to implement approach #1.

For approach #2 I note the following from the diagnostic script:

!!Loaded ALSA modules
!!-------------------

snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_intel

!!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
!!-----------------------------

** 0 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia**
                      HDA NVidia at 0xfe080000 irq 30
** 1 [Creative       ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Creative**
                      HDA Creative at 0xfe404000 irq 31

!!PCI Soundcards installed in the system
!!--------------------------------------

01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF114 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
**03:00.0 Audio device: Creative** Labs SB Recon3D (rev 01) 

!!Advanced information - PCI Vendor/Device/Subsystem ID's
!!-------------------------------------------------------

01:00.1 0403: 10de:0e0c (rev a1)
    Subsystem: 3842:1469
--
03:00.0 0403: **1102:0012** (rev 01)
    Subsystem: 1102:0010
!!Aplay/Arecord output
!!--------------------

APLAY

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: Creative [HDA Creative], device 0: CA0132 **Analog** [CA0132 Analog]
card 1: Creative [HDA Creative], device 1: CA0132 Digital [CA0132 Digital]

I colour coded the above to make it easier for you to understand. Orange is your PC’s HDMI. Green is your PC’s analog sound.

I propose you add the following two lines to the start of your PC’s /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file. This may not work as I do not know the current content of the 50-sound.conf file, so it would help me if you post the content of that file. But while waiting to provide that content and receive my reply, you can try adding this entry to the start of the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file, reboot and test. Note you will need to make this edit with root permissions.

options snd_hda_intel index=0 vid=1102 pid=0012 
options snd_hda_intel index=1 vid=10de pid=0e0c 

With the above I try to force the Creative device to be index-0 (which is sound card-0) and the HDMI to be index-1 (which is sound card-1) by using the PC’s PCI designation.

Do NOT run YaST > hardware > sound after doing this as it will wipe out the settings.

You will need to do the edit with root permissions, save the edit, and reboot and test.

Again - this may not work as I do not know the full content of the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file currently, and what is in there now could mean what I have proposed for you to enter will not work.

Isn’t it also possible to achieve the desired preference of soundcards in
KDE, in Configure Desktop -> Multimedia -> Audio and video settings -> Device preference ?

I did that didn’t work.

FYI, I’ll be without access to my computer for a few days. I think I can turn the motherboard off in the bios. (I thought I did.) Still I might have need to be able to knowledge to run both. I’ll post as soon as possible.

Please post here the content of the file /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf.

I will be out of country for the next week - so my replies may be sporadic - if at all.

That assumes that KDE can tell which alsa intel module is associated with which card. My suspicion is it can not. This probably would work with different sound modules loaded - but when they are different instances of the same module - well - I am not surprised to read it won’t work.

I have seen this succeeding in a laptop. But from time to time the setting of priorities of sound cards is getting lost and needs manual intervention through … KDE -> Multimedia -> …

Now I understand why.

Current:

/etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel,snd-hda-intel
# svHJ.aI0zRHBQWr8:SB Recon3D
alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel
# NXNs.R7QPXJEaHE7:GF114 HDMI Audio Controller
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel

Changed:

(reboot)

That change didn’t work.

Current:

50-sound.conf.YaST2save

50-sound.conf

Replace the entire /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file with only this:

The other entries in the 50-sound.conf are undoing the settings I proposed.

Further to this - do not forget to reboot after making this change, and only then test it. Use pavucontrol to tune your applications to use the appropriate sound device after the reboot.

Also - if sound does not work after applying the above, please again run the diagnostic script (with the above in place) and post here the URL … ie in an xterm/konsole with PC connected to the internet, as a regular user, send the command:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh

and let the script run to completion. Select “UPLOAD/SHARE” when prompted. When the script completes it will tell you where the ALSA information is located. Please copy the http address here in this thread so that we can look and see what the content may be.

Do NOT run YaST > Hardware > Sound after making the change, as YaST will undo the changes I proposed being made to the file. This is important.

I installed pavcontrol and tested with youtube. Output devices is showing a song playing.

Also, motherboard audio is disabled.

Configuration:
GF114: off

SB Recon 3D:
Analog Stereo Output

(cont)

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=c74067dd07174b76a30db5bc63c317d8d6809b48

The config file is set. PAV ‘output devices’ shows a song playing.

SB Recon Stereo3D Analog Stereo 100%

Port: Analog Output

Center jack on audio card. * * * * *
^

Two stereo speakers (mini) with volume set at 3/4.

Motherboard Audio: disabled

Why did you do this ? What device is on your motherboard ? Is it also creative like the Sound Blaster Z PCIe ? I had thought the creative was the soundblaster Z PCIe . … Frankly changing too much a configuration at a time can cause confusion.

That illustrates success in switching your analog device “HDA-Intel - HDA Creative” to card-0, which is the default audio device.

But there are many errors in the dmesg - which I can not tell if are associated with your disabling the audio device on the motherboard - hence I wish you had not changed that as it simply confuses me - and I did not ask that be done. Note:

24.066783] snd_hda_intel: unknown parameter 'vid' ignored
   24.066788] snd_hda_intel: unknown parameter 'pid' ignored
   24.066792] snd_hda_intel: unknown parameter 'vid' ignored
   24.066795] snd_hda_intel: unknown parameter 'pid' ignored
   24.067090] snd_hda_intel 0000:01:00.1: Disabling MSI
   24.067102] snd_hda_intel 0000:01:00.1: Handle VGA-switcheroo audio client
   24.067194] snd_hda_intel 0000:03:00.0: Disabling MSI
   24.067197] snd_hda_intel 0000:03:00.0: Force to non-snoop mode

I’m not smart enough to second guess what the impact of what you have done on the motherboard BIOS may be - so I think I need to bow out of this thread.

Before I do - may I point out thou you have aspects disabled in your openSUSE mixer which I question as being correct. Specifically:

!!-------Mixer controls for card 0 [Creative]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Default PCM',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'HP/Speaker',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [off]

Should those be OFF given they are associated with the Creative ?

Good luck with your efforts.

Isn’t it the time to connect a TV to HDMI output of the computer and observe sound playing on TV?