Sound on Acer Aspire 8930G

Hi, I just got my new laptop the acer Aspire 8930G and I cannot get the sound to work. I have tried the suggestions from different hreads and still no sound.

Some of the relevant info
aquarium:/home/pevi # cat /proc/asound/card0/codec* | grep Codec
Codec: Realtek ALC889
Codec: LSI ID 1040
Codec: Generic 10de ID 6

aquarium:/home/pevi # aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

alsa-info.sh output is at http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=050a550f521dae5baebf0d36dde763331bbe5792

I tred adding the model option with auto and enable_msi=1, stll no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am not greedy :slight_smile: but has anyone with similar hardware got sound on all 6 speakers?

Thanks in advance.
Aakhunaten

There are many things I would like to comment on. Its possible most of them are not directly relevant to your sound problem, but its difficult to determine (unless I have the hardware, which I do not) as to which ones could be causing your problems.

First, I note this from the diagnostic script output describing your PC’s mixer configuration:
!!Amixer output
!!-------------
!!-------Mixer controls for card 0 [Intel]
Simple mixer control ‘Master’,0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
Mono: Playback 44 [69%] -20.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control ‘Front’,0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
Front Left: Playback 42 [66%] -20.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 42 [66%] -20.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control ‘Surround’,0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] -62.00dB] [off]
Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] -62.00dB] [off]
Simple mixer control ‘Center’,0
Mono: Playback 0 [0%] -62.00dB] [off]
Simple mixer control ‘LFE’,0
Mono: Playback 0 [0%] -62.00dB] [off]I recommend while trying to get functional audio, you move your volume levels up to 95%. Then after you get the sound working, back off to a lower % value to avoid distortion.

You asked about sound on 6 speakers. I believe that is known as surround and IMHO you will get nothing with volume set to zero and those channels switched OFF (even though I suspect there are also other problems with your PC’s config).

Now in one place you provide an indication your PC has an ALC889, and in another an ALC883:

Researching the ALC889 on the alsa web site I get this: Search results - AlsaProject
which in turn suggests there are updates in 1.0.17 of alsa.

I note this from your script output:
!!ALSA Version
!!------------

Driver version: 1.0.16rc2
Library version:
Utilities version: 1.0.18which suggests to me that you may have tried and failed to properly update your PC’s alsa version as you have a mix of 1.0.16rc2 alsa and 1.0.18 alsa.

So I recommend you 1st try to properly update your alsa version, and only if that does not work, should we try to apply a custom model option to your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file.

So please remove any custom settings from the /etc/modprobe.d/sound file that you may have tried (as you noted you tried “model option with auto and enable_msi=1, stll no luck” ) and then open a gnome terminal or a kde konsole and then type ‘su’ to get root permissions, and with your PC connected to the internet, in that terminal/konsole session copy and paste the following one line at a time in sequence:

zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/multimedia:/audio/openSUSE_11.0/ multimedia 
zypper install alsa alsa-utils alsa-tools alsa-firmware libasound2
zypper rr multimedia
zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/multimedia:/audio:/KMP/openSUSE_11.0_Update/ multimedia
zypper install alsa-driver-kmp-default
zypper rr multimedia

and then restart your PC and test your sound. Pay attention to your mixer, especially in light of my comments above wrt your mixer.

For a sound test, I recommend you copy and paste the following into a gnome-terminal or a kde konsole:speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twavwhere you should hear a ladies voice saying ‘Front left’ 'Front right ’ five times. Note -c2 indicates testing 2 channel sound. Instead -c6 would test 5.1 channel sound. -l5 indicates 5 times for the ‘Front left’ 'Front right ’ . -l9 would be 9 times.

If that does not work for basic 2 channel sound, please post here, and I can give you some edits to your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file (be certain to copy here the contents of that file so I can provide recommendations).

Thank you for the quick and clear reply. I tried the zypper commands, restarted my laptop and changed my mixer controls to almost 100%. Still no sound.

My Alsa info report is at http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=03353559874312ba3028a88df5052a79c8f68f55

/etc/modprobe.d/sound looks like so
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel

To clarify, this is a clean install of openSUSE 11 using a DVD and then running the updates. I know of the hardware in the laptop only through SUSE’s Yast->Hardware->hardware info. I do have vista on other partition, should I check (rather can i check) what hardware is being used using vista?

Thanks.

You can check with Vista, but I suspect openSUSE has identified this correctly.

I think what we need to do next, is try to come up with a tuning of your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file, to see if that will help. First, could you immediately after a fresh reboot, with your PC connected to the Internet, copy and paste the following command into a gnome terminal or kde konsole: dmesg > dmesg.txt && curl -F file=@dmesg.txt nopaste.com/aand then post the URL that you are given. Sometimes that gives some hints.

Also, are you using Gnome ? KDE3 ? KDE4 ? Knowing that could affect my recommendation.

Now, I note the following list of model options (in the ALSA-Configuration.txt file for 1.0.18a of alsa) for an ALC883 (which is close to an ALC889):

ALC883/888
	  3stack-dig	3-jack with SPDIF I/O
	  6stack-dig	6-jack digital with SPDIF I/O
	  3stack-6ch    3-jack 6-channel
	  3stack-6ch-dig 3-jack 6-channel with SPDIF I/O
	  6stack-dig-demo  6-jack digital for Intel demo board
	  acer		Acer laptops (Travelmate 3012WTMi, Aspire 5600, etc)
	  acer-aspire	Acer Aspire 9810
	  medion	Medion Laptops
	  medion-md2	Medion MD2
	  targa-dig	Targa/MSI
	  targa-2ch-dig	Targs/MSI with 2-channel
	  laptop-eapd   3-jack with SPDIF I/O and EAPD (Clevo M540JE, M550JE)
	  lenovo-101e	Lenovo 101E
	  lenovo-nb0763	Lenovo NB0763
	  lenovo-ms7195-dig Lenovo MS7195
	  lenovo-sky	Lenovo Sky
	  haier-w66	Haier W66
	  3stack-hp	HP machines with 3stack (Lucknow, Samba boards)
	  6stack-dell	Dell machines with 6stack (Inspiron 530)
	  mitac		Mitac 8252D
	  clevo-m720	Clevo M720 laptop series
	  fujitsu-pi2515 Fujitsu AMILO Pi2515
	  3stack-6ch-intel Intel DG33* boards
	  auto		auto-config reading BIOS (default) 

So can you please edit your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file, and add a 3rd line, changing it to:
alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel model=acer-aspire
and then restart your alsa with root permissions in a gnome-terminal or kde konsole (it type “su” (no quotes - enter root password first) with “rcalsasound restart” (no quotes), restart your mixer, and test your sound.

Note, for testing basic sound, I recommend you copy and paste the following into a gnome-terminal or kde konsole: speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twav
and you should hear a ladies voice saying ‘Front left’, ‘Front right’ five times.

If that gives you no sound (with “acer-aspire” ) then replace “acer-aspire” with another of the items in the ALSA-Configuration.txt file list, and try again (restart sound, mixer, test sound) etc … going thru the entire list until you have success.

Good luck!

Hi, I added the line
options snd-hda-intel model=<name from the list>
in /etc/modprobe.d/sound. Still no sound.

In the meantime, I upgraded to openSUSE 11.1 and then followed the zypper commands (ofcourse pointing to 11.1 repos rather than 11.0) and then tried the various models. If I do not include the 3rd line in file sound, all the channels are shown but no sound. If i use model=auto, i get sound from front left and front right, but nothing else.

Here’s the output of
dmesg > dmesg.txt && curl -F file=@dmesg.txt nopaste.com/a

dmesg.txt - nopaste.com (beta)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

I’ve always believed that if “auto” works, then one of the other models should also work. But I could be wrong. There are no manuals on this that I know about … one can only learn by experience.

If your sound works (front left , front right) then its working. Congratulations. I’m surprised by your lack of jubilation. :slight_smile:

I do not know what you man by “nothing else”. Note that Novell/SuSE-GmbH do not support proprietary video nor proprietary audio formats (which IMHO is over 80% of the formats, including mp3 and most content inside mpg and avi files). That is because openSUSE is openSUSE where Novell/openSUSE-GmbH follower closer than most other Linux distributions the open source free software philosophy. Codec support, drivers, software in general are not included if the are not “free to copy”, not “free to give away copies” , not “free to modify copies” , not “free to give away modified copies”.

Now you can work around this very easily with the right 3rd party packages (and I mean EASY). Simply setup your software package manager repositories with only OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman. Do NOT add any others. Just those 4. ONLY add others if you know what you are doing, if you know the risks, know the incompatibilities that can arise, know the dependency problems that can arise, and know how to work around them. There is guidance here for adding those 4: Repositories/11.1 - openSUSE-Community Again ONLY packman, OSS, Non-OSS and Update. Do NOT add videolan. I’ve lost count of the number of new users who added that and then had problems because of incompatibilities between videolan and packman packaged packages.

So, once those 4 repos are added, go to YaST > Software > Software Management, and set the filter for search, and add the Packman packaged versions (replacing any Novell/SuSE-GmbH versions) of: smplayer, mplayerplug-in, libxine1, xine-ui, xine-skins, amarok, amarok-xine, vlc, libffmpeg0, w32codec-all. That should get you started with a few powerful players.

Now if you have 5.1. sound, and that is the meaning of your comment “nothing else” then that is a different issue.

Can you please post the output of:
cat /etc/modprobe.d/soundI want to confirm that file is setup correct with just the one option at a time (and not multiple).

I tried several options like

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel

u1Nb.c5VPFxTP8V8:82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller

options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1

This shows all channels, no sound

Same as above

options snd-hda-intel model=auto enable_msi=1

This shows only 2 channels (FL/FR) and produces sound

options snd-hda-intel model=auto

Same as above

Please note that I have also tried the different models with no success.

Thanks.

Now I am confused. In a previous post you noted that using the option “auto” gave you sound in the speaker-test. So you do have sound with that option? Yes?

Use this option if it gives you sound.

I have set my sound file with that option. But that’s like the consolation prize :slight_smile: I would like to see all the speakers working… hate to go to Vista just for multimedia!

Is there no way i could turn on 5.1 on my laptop?

Thanks.

Whats wrong with Vista? :slight_smile: … (joking … of course).

Anyway,** you are welcome** for getting basic sound running.

I suspect it is possible to get 5.1. running, but I do not have a 5.1 system, and the 5.1 users tend to get there systems working, and then never contribute to helping others with the 5.1. systems that others have. Buy me a 5.1 system, and I’ll show you how to get it running. :slight_smile:

I know of a Gnome user who got 5.1 working (who has contributed in providing details as to what they did), but I have no idea if their solution is applicable to you, because you did not answer my question about your desktop. Specifically:

So Gnome? KDE3 ? KDE4 ?

Also, with your PC setup such that your 2 channel sound is functional, can you run the diagnostic script so that I can see what it reports reference your mixer? ie with your PC connected to the Internet, type:/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh and post here the output URL that is provided (only the URL). Maybe I’ll see something in the mixer that has been missed.

I know what’s wrong with Vista? hee hee

The only devices I dont have working is the sound (5.1), TV Tuner, fingerprint reader, blueray drive (to read Blueray disks)

Anyhow, Sorry i forgot to answer that question - I use KDE3 or Gnome or Xfce (more on the mood of the day;) )

Output of the alsa-info.sh is at http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=1969747b0bef76785dafee3ab97532962f875958

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

It does look like the surround options are not in your mixer. Still did you try switching on IEC958 (I see it in your mixer):
!!Amixer output
!!-------------

!!-------Mixer controls for card 0 [Intel]

Simple mixer control ‘IEC958’,0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Mono: Playback off]
Simple mixer control ‘IEC958 Default PCM’,0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Mono: Playback [on]

I take it surround does not work in any of those desktops.

Please take a look at this thread:
sound card, surround 5.1 not working in opensuse 11.1 - openSUSE Forums

Note they had to play with PA Device Chooser, and from there configured the server. Given you have Gnome installed, you likely have the padevchooser, pavucontrol, pavumeter, paman, and paprefs apps installed.

hi there, my name is jane…

i hope that you could help me… i just got a new acer aspire 8930g. everything in the audio is fine except when im playing a bluray disc, coz i can hardly hear the character voices. the background sound audio is perfectly fine, its just the caharacter voices which is coming out on the front speakers which is the problem… but whenever im playing music or watching a video stream, the audio is perfect… i’ve tried and searched on how to adjust it but to no avail… can you help me out please… thanks