Sound-juicer

I am having trouble with sound-juicer on OpenSuSE 11.3, more than one machine
Basically it does not find the CD-ROM

No CD-ROM drives found

Sound Juicer could not find any CD-ROM drives to read.

There is a CD and a DVD on one machine and a USB CD drive on the other.
This used to work some time back (at leasr May 2009)
==John ff

I have not used Sound Juicer, but I wonder what might be going on with your standard optical drive names. It might be worth checking it out here:

Multimedia Optical Drive Naming (ie /dev/dvd & /dev/cdrom) Howto in opneSUSE

Any time you have more than one optical drive and/or if you have removed a drive or two, the file mentioned in the article might be worth looking at.

Thank You,

Thank you but thta does not help. there is only one cdrom and it is correctly names
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2010-11-21 18:34 /dev/cdrom -> sr1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2010-11-21 18:34 /dev/cdrom1 -> sr0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2010-11-21 18:34 /dev/cdrw -> sr1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2010-11-21 18:34 /dev/cdrw1 -> sr0

I have tried ltrace and strace and cannot find where it accesses anythink with rom in its path.

I am beginning to think this is some gnome nasty. I do not run a desktop system; use fvwm as window manager. Coul dthere be some configuration in gtk somewhere that is missing?

==JOhn ff

Following up myself, i have found many instanmces of this being reported on many different versions of Linux so I am convinced it is a problem in sound-juicer itelf, at least in recent versions. I have an old version 2.22 running on Debian and that works correctly, so I guess until my bugzilla reoort is acted upon i will have to use the aging Debian 533MHz Via machine for organising the CD colletion.

It seems that the version of sound-juicer available from OpenSuse (version 2.280 has this bug, but it will not be fixed as it is considered obsolete. So there is little point in it being in the SuSE distribution. Wonder if it is fixed in 11.4