Sound from mic coming through speakers/headphones

Glad we are on the same page now :). BTW Tumbleweed kernel is now at 3.0.3-41. Just made the upgrade and it seems to be ok here. You could get lucky…

tried adding the above line at the beginning. still no luck. i have also updated to kernel v 3.0.3.41-desktop. same situation as before:(

How was that kernel update done ? Do you now have tumbleweed installed ?

If you do (have tumbleweed), then you should start a new thread in the Pre-release/beta area of our forum.

IMHO installing tumbleweed was a wrong approach for your sound problem. But now that you have gone that route, this needs to be solved via a tumbleweed way, and not a nominal openSUSE-11.4 way.

This is the Tumbleweed forum and @smithark has Tumbleweed installed from post #1 according to signature (recently updated to correct the levels). :slight_smile:

One difference occurring to me is that a normal bug report would not be appropriate. IIRC, Greg K-H wanted bugs reported to him initially [to the Tumbleweed mailing list].

< gulp > … good point ! :shame: It would help if I looked a bit closer ! :shame:

Did you try updating to the latest cutting edge alsa ? Guide is here: SDB:Alsa-update - openSUSE

And for tumbleweed you could try try the two repositories :

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/multimedia:/libs/openSUSE_11.4/

updating (and only updating, NOT installing new) the various alsa apps, and libasound2, …

and

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/multimedia:/audio:/KMP/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/

installing alsa-driver-kmp-desktop-1.0.24.20110822_k3.0.3_41-1.1.i586.rpm (or what ever the latest version may be associated with your kernel version).

You do need to be careful thou, if you adopt that approach, as any new kernel update will break your sound.

OK, that did the trick! thank you ‘oldcpu’.rotfl!

but i didnt understand this part:
“You do need to be careful thou, if you adopt that approach, as any new kernel update will break your sound”

does it mean that i shouldnt update my kernel from 3.0.3-41-desktop in future? i usually update everything displayed in the kpackagekit list (sometimes even without bothering to go through what is being updated). then, is there a way to disable kernel update in future?

Great ! Its working now ! That means the openSUSE sound packager (who is also an alsa developer) has identified this is a problem, and has a test rpm in the ‘multimedia’ repository, and you are running their test rpm !! It may not even yet have been accepted upstream in the alsa driver. It is VERY cutting edge.

To have the kernel module (for your sound device) that comes with the kernel replaced, you installed likely alsa-driver-kmp**-desktop-1.0.24.20110822_k3.0.3_41**-1.1.i586.rpm … Note the ‘kmp’ and the kernel version. That means the openSUSE packager specifically packaged this to replace the kernel module in that version of the kernel. The next kernel update will likely break this (possibly overwrite the kernel module).

So when there is a kernel update, do NOT update. Rather LOOK in the multimedia repository, to see if the openSUSE packager has yet packaged a new alsa-driver-kmp-desktop version for the new kernel, and if they have, update the new kernel and the new kernel module. For tumbleweed this will be a MAJOR pain, but its the only way to go about this until the openSUSE packagers updates are included in the new kernel.

You could continue trying new kernels (once you confirm the alsa-driver-kmp-desktop is ready) and see if it breaks your sound. If it does, install alsa-driver-kmp-desktop of the correct version. That way you will be able to tell in what kernel version the sound driver is fixed for your hardware.

Reference disabling kernel updates ?

Stop using zypper to update. And simply pick and choose your updates with YaST > Software > Software Management. That is what I do, and in the process I learn a lot more than I do with a ‘close the eyes, kneel and fervently pray’ global update with zypper. (note that is VERY much an IMHO statement).

Well done oldcpu. Bleeding edge but encouraging, and another satisfied user. :slight_smile:

thank you ‘oldcpu’ and ‘consused’ for all your help:). i’ll keep your advice regarding updating the kernel and kmp friver in mind. thank you once again

Oops, I’ve just noticed on fully updated Tumbleweed with kernel-desktop-3.0.3-41.1.x86_64 that my lenovo notebook’s speakers are no longer muted when headphones are plugged in? :frowning: That’s an annoying regression as it still works ok with normal version 2 kernel on my standard 11.4 KDE system (same hardware).

Same problem on kernel-desktop-3.0.1-40.1.x86_64. I’m not totally sure about kernel-desktop-3.0.0-39.1.x86_64 as it’s no longer installed here, but I think it worked properly, as did previous version 2 kernels on Tumbleweed.

I also note from zypper’s history that the ALSA library was updated here to libasound2-1.0.24.1-22.1.x86_64 only a couple of days after kernel-desktop-3.0.0-39.1.x86_64 was installed. Hmm, any comments welcome…

ALSA module: snd_hda_intel
Sound chip: 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
Codec: Realtek ALC269

Consused, an ALC269 is different hardware. You may be best to start a new thread.

You could write a bug report on this.

It may be possible to solve by either :
(1) forcing an appropriate TBD option from the HD-Audio-Models.txt file alsa documentation:

ALC269
======
  basic		Basic preset
  quanta	Quanta FL1
  laptop-amic	Laptops with analog-mic input
  laptop-dmic	Laptops with digital-mic input
  fujitsu	FSC Amilo
  lifebook	Fujitsu Lifebook S6420
  auto		auto-config reading BIOS (default)

or
(2) updating alsa to a more cutting edge version.

I always recommend trying the first option first.

Indeed, and thanks for all the comments. I originally thought this most likely needed:

You could write a bug report on this.

However, will try this first:

(1) forcing an appropriate TBD option from the HD-Audio-Models.txt file alsa documentation:

ALC269

basic Basic preset
quanta Quanta FL1
laptop-amic Laptops with analog-mic input
laptop-dmic Laptops with digital-mic input
fujitsu FSC Amilo
lifebook Fujitsu Lifebook S6420
auto auto-config reading BIOS (default)

Since I have good sound anyway, I prefer to avoid doing this:

(2) updating alsa to a more cutting edge version.

Thanks oldcpu, option (1) worked using model=laptop-amic. I documented the problem, solution and failures in this new thread here.