SKYPE not working

Hi, just got OpenSuse to work on my computer and it seems to be running okay. I have just downloaded Skype from the site and loaded it from my Download file. The icon bounces about for a while and then its gone, no SKYPE. How can I get it to work and what is the right application package to download for the webcam? I have yet to get that going.

Thanks
Tony

Well, you don’t provide a lot of information. Nevertheless you can try something. For example, you can start skype from a terminal (konsole or gnome-terminal) and see if there is something missing skype needs (and maybe post the output). Or you can add this repo Index of /repositories/home:/broumbroum23/openSUSE_11.3 and install skype from there. If it does not work we’ll need more information. I assume you have openSUSE 11.3. x64 or i586?
Talking about your webcam it should work out of the box. Try Skype, Cheese, webkam or kopete to test you cam. If it doesn’t work it’s important to know what type of camera it is. Use Hardwareinformation in Yast to find out.

Most likely You’re missing the 32 bit libraries required for skype. AFAIK there is no 64 bit version of skype so You need to install 32 bit libraries in order to make it work. When You start the application from konsole it will tell You what’s missing.

Best regards,
Greg

Can you run it from a terminal and post any errors is outputs here? It will be most likely what glistwan said: 32bit libraries missing.

Sorry about the lack of info. I am totally green and totally pickled in morphine. When you have 200mg of morphine a day your head and concentration goes out the window. I have a 64bit sytem and I have just downloaded what I assume is the latest OpenSuse 11.something :shame:
I loaded it from the skype site. So how do I get 32bit libraries?

If you are totally green, then you should read some of the stickies. They are a good starting point.
You can install skype from a repo by clicking http://software.opensuse.org/search/download?base=openSUSE%3A11.3&file=home%3A%2Fbroumbroum23%2FopenSUSE_11.3%2Fskype.ymp&query=skype (that’s for 11.3)
There are several ways to find out which version you are running. Mine is cat /etc/SuSE-release; uname -a is interesting, too.
Installing from a repo should resolve your dependency issues. The hard way is the terminal thing I mentioned above. Just start skype in a terminal an post the output.
I assume you will need libpng12, libqt4 and libqt4-x11 for 32 bit. Just install them via Yast. Maybe there’s more (or less) but the terminal output will tell you (and us).
Hint: To open a terminal in KDE press Alt + F2 and type konsole. In gnome press Alt + F2 and type gnome-terminal. Once there just type skype and press enter. Copy and paste the output and post it here.
Good luck again and good night.
And get well soon! Morphine sounds sort of serious to me…

Installation process

su 
# zypper install skype 

If you run skype

> skype 

It is writing you that

skype: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

You must install this library libpng12.so.0

With

su 

and then

# zypper install libpng12.so.0

Then try to run with click skype and will run you.

It is posibbly be other library not libpng12.so.0. With same process you install it.

Always friendly!!!:wink:

If you have a 64-bit machine you can install the 32-bit dependencies skype requires like this. For example libpng12.so.0. Run these commands as root (by first doing su -):

First find out the package name:

zypper wp libpng12.so.0

This will return:

S | Name             | Type    | Version    | Arch   | Repository       
--+------------------+---------+------------+--------+------------------
i | libpng12-0       | package | 1.2.44-2.1 | x86_64 | openSUSE-11.3-Oss
v | libpng12-0       | package | 1.2.44-2.1 | i586   | openSUSE-11.3-Oss
  | libpng12-0-32bit | package | 1.2.44-2.1 | x86_64 | openSUSE-11.3-Oss

So we need to install libpng12-0-32bit. You can do so like this:

zypper in libpng12-0-32bit

Repeat this for any other dependencies skype needs.

Maybe here? RPM Search OpenSuSE libpng12-0-32bit-1.2.39-2.2.x86_64.rpm

Maybe through here? libpng12-0

stamostolias wrote:

> Code:
> --------------------
> su
> --------------------

it is my long standing opinion that there are so few times when one
should not use this

su -

that it is practically impossible to go wrong by using the dash
(-)…there is a relatively long discussion about the why in this thread:

http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/unreviewed-how-faq/424498-become-su-terminal-howto.html

be sure and read it all, because there are a variety of differing
opinions…but, please not that caf4926’s excellent how-to (post
number one) shows to use the dash…

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

That is to do with libpng12-0 for Debian.

Ooops! Sorry !!!

No need to be sorry :slight_smile:

Thank’s for your comment, You are very polite!!

Well in our job now I can not find this library for 32 bit systems. Maybe linux.com has something Linux.com | The source for Linux information
Maybe here? commit libpng12-0 for openSUSE:Factory or http://pkgs.org/opensuse-factory/opensuse-oss-i386/libpng12-0-1.2.44-6.5.i586.rpm.html. I can not use skype because on my area we have not good internet connection. That is a problem.

All the required libs are in the standard repos no need to go else where.

You probably already have the 64 bit versions you just need to load the 32 bit .

Thank you for your wonderful support. When I have my brain together later hopefully I will tackle this.

Well here SDB:Skype - openSUSE

This time I’m sure!!!

su 
 # zypper install <library> 

On 01/23/2011 01:36 PM, stamostolias wrote:
>
> Well here ‘SDB:Skype - openSUSE’ (http://tinyurl.com/368m524)

i can confirm that if read and followed the above link will today
result in a perfectly working Skype (if your machines audio system is
working, and you can find and set all the switches to adjust volumes, etc)

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.4.4
release 3, Thunderbird3.0.11,]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11

Okay, this is doing my nut here. I have looked and read and loaded from your wonderful help. But I still cannot get the Skype to work and funny enough I can’t get Google earth to do the same. Both icons bounce about but don’t deliver. Is this because its a 64bit?
Thanks friends for your assistance