Skype /Mic problems

Hello so i have sound but my mic capture seems to be not working in skype or well anything else and I’m confused on what to do after searching. It’s an integrated mic somewhere in my laptop. I enabled capture in Kmix but that didn’t seem to do anything.

Used

head -n 1 /proc/asound/card0/codec*

and got this. Don’t know if that helps any.

==> /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 <==
Codec: IDT 92HD71B7X

==> /proc/asound/card0/codec#1 <==
Codec: LSI ID 1040

==> /proc/asound/card0/codec#3 <==
Codec: Intel G45 DEVCTG

Not really sure what else i’m suppose to give you to help me out.
Thanks in advance!

Integrated mics tend to be digital, and hence require the corresponding “digital” controls adjusetd in the mixer. Did you check with an EXTERNAL mic and if so, does an EXTERNAL work ?

What openSUSE version are you using? What desktop (KDE ? Gnome ? )

Please can you provide some additional information?

Please configure your mixer exactly the way you think it should be configured for your mic to work.

Note when testing your mic, I recommend you use a terminal with this command:

arecord -vv -fdat foo.wav

“foo.wav” is an arbitrary name I made up. Instead you could call it whatapain.wav or whichwaythewindblows.wav or anything …

Then assuming mic does not work, please provide the information recommended to be provided here: Welcome to multimedia sub-area - openSUSE Forums and I will quote this for you:

please post … the following information:

• provide the URLs (of a summary webpage) that are created by running the diagnostic script noted here:
    SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE - Script to run to obtain detailed information. On openSUSE-11.1 and newer that will ask you to run the script /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh and after the script finishes it will give you a URL to pass to the support personnel. Please post here the output URL. Just the URL. You may need to run that script twice (the first time with root permissions to update in the /usr/sbin directory, and the second time to get the URL).
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -qa ‘alsa#and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -qa ‘pulse#and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: rpm -q libasound2 #and post output here
  • in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: uname -a #and post output here
  • for openSUSE-11.1 or earlier, in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound #and post output here
  • for openSUSE-11.2 or later, in a terminal, or xterm, or konsole, type: cat /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf #and post output here

Note that if for some reason the “/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh” script does not give you a website URL then run it with the no upload option this way:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh --no-upload

and that will create the file /tmp/alsa-info.txt. Open that file with a text editor and paste it here: New - Pastie and press paste and post here the website URL it provides.

That will provide more information that can help in figuring out your problem.

Turned on everything in the mixer without it doing anything.

Using a fresh install of 11.2 with KDE 4 I got it off the live CD so i’m guessing it’s 4.3 if that makes any difference?

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=eb1410b02f535d23aeb16cbba7fb37bc5d46dcc2

alsa-utils-1.0.21-3.1.x86_64
alsa-1.0.21-3.2.x86_64
alsa-oss-32bit-1.0.17-25.2.x86_64
alsa-oss-1.0.17-25.2.x86_64
alsa-plugins-1.0.21-3.3.x86_64
alsa-firmware-1.0.20-3.2.noarch
alsa-plugins-32bit-1.0.21-3.3.x86_64

libxine1-pulse-1.1.16.1-7.6.x86_64
libpulse0-0.9.21-1.2.1.x86_64

libasound2-1.0.21-3.2.x86_64
Linux linux-twyr 2.6.31.12-0.2-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2010-03-16 21:25:39 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel
# u1Nb.MqlQq_lmxP3:82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel

Also sorry for double post i forgot that the recording worked as in that a file appeared but it was just white noise.

The KDE version, if not KDE-4.3.5 might matter, but I see other problems, so lets ignore potential KDE problems for now.

I note this in your mixer, some of which is definitely not set up correct. I note you want to use an integrated mic. NOTE that integrated mics are typically digital, and hence you must set up your mixer for a digital mic.

Now look at your settings (from the script):

**!!Amixer output
!!-------------

!!-------Mixer controls for card 0 [Intel]

Card hw:0 ‘Intel’/‘HDA Intel at 0xdc700000 irq 22’** Mixer name : ‘Intel G45 DEVCTG’
Simple mixer control ‘IEC958’,0
Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control ‘Capture’,0
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Front Left: Capture 13 [87%] [19.50dB] [on]
Front Right: Capture 12 [80%] [18.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control ‘Capture’,1
Front Left: Capture 8 [53%] [12.00dB] [off]
Front Right: Capture 8 [53%] [12.00dB] [off]
Simple mixer control ‘Digital’,0
Front Left: Capture 120 [100%] [30.00dB]
Front Right: Capture 120 [100%] [30.00dB]
Simple mixer control ‘Digital Mic’,0
Front Left: Capture 3 [100%] [30.00dB]
Front Right: Capture 3 [100%] [30.00dB]
Simple mixer control ‘Input Source’,0
Items: ‘Mic’ ‘Front Mic’ ‘Digital Mic’
Item0: ‘Mic’
Simple mixer control ‘Input Source’,1
Items: ‘Mic’ ‘Front Mic’ ‘Digital Mic’
Item0: ‘Mic’
Simple mixer control ‘Mux’,0
Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
Simple mixer control ‘Mux’,1
Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB]
I put in green selections that appear ok, in orange selections that I am not sure, and red selections that appear definitely incorrect to me.

From what I can see, your mixer settings guarantee there will be NO sound detected by the integrated mics, because you have “mic” and not “digital mic” selected. You MUST change that. You also have capture OFF and at 0% in some cases.

You can use kmix to change those settings. Note you can add extra controls to kmix via its “channels” ( ? ) menu selection.

I’m not at a Linux PC right now, so this is all by memory and a glance at your script output.

hi
just curious, did you check under (kde) system config/sound/audio capture/communication to make sure that you move up the mic. (mine is usb logitech quickcam pro 900 and is sitting first) .

cheers

K i now have sound but it’s all noisy and distorted. Anything i can do to remedy that ? EDIT after playing with levels have a functional mic but it’s still not 100% is there anything else i can do? Thanks for the speedy response!