Size difference between 11.0 and 10.3

I noticed a while ago that several application packages were considerably smaller in openSuSE 11 than it had been in 10.3. Most noticeably was k3b, which in openSuSE 10.3 was above 100mb (packman repo), while in the new distro,11.0, k3b is around 20mb?

Does this mean that k3b has limited features compared to the previous one?

Cheers

No, you can’t tell that from the size of the binary. The size of the binary is affected by the code itself, what compiler version was used, what libraries are linked in, whether they are dynamically or statically linked, what architecture it was compiled for, and a host of other factors.

If for example one binary is statically linked with a lot of libraries, and another is dynamically linked with a lot of libraries, then the former will be larger than the latter, but it may actually have less features.

More reliable is to compare the version numbers of the software. It’s rare that a developer removes features altogether, so later versions are likely to have more features.

On 10/04/2008 F Sauce wrote:
> I noticed a while ago that several application packages were
> considerably smaller in openSuSE 11 than it had been in 10.3.

http://www.suse.de/relnotes/i386/openSUSE/11.0/RELEASE-NOTES.en.html#05

Uwe

Ok, thanks for replying:)

‘RPM Packages Now LZMA Compressed’, I meant the size of it installed, not the size of the rpm package. I was a bit unclear I suppose. Anyhow, the information was informative, as I have a second computer with openSuSE 10.2.

Cheers!