Shutdown stalls at "Reached target shutdown"...auto power off occurs 4 minutes later

I am running Leap 15.1 on a T430 Thinkpad. Shutdown normal until “Reached target shutdown”. In the past the machine has powered off automatically in 2 or 3 seconds, now it is more like 4 minutes. This only happens in Linux shutdowns, not Win10 shutdowns, so I am assuming this is not a BIOS issue. Thanks in advance…

I have had that happen on a laptop (not a Thinkpad), but with Tumbleweed. It is mostly likely a bug, but an unusual one that might be hard to track down.

In my case, it is rare. And perhaps it happens when there is a power blackout that causes the system to start to go into sleep mode but be interrupted when power comes back on. But I’m only guessing.

You could try following the debugging procedure outlined here: (If normal reboot or poweroff work, but take a suspiciously long time, then…)

https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging/#index2h1

I see the same thing once in a while on a random Dell Latitude laptop - I shut down to add memory, replace battery, or to go somewhere. I suspect when a library got updated (libc is usually the guilty party) that shudown uses and the one in memory is the wrong version.

Most of the time they stay up until a Linux Kernal reboot is required.

I had this exact same problem, caused by the lvm2-lvmetad service. Assuming you’re not using LVM, you can disable it and the lvm2-monitor service which should solve the problem:

sudo systemctl disable lvm2-lvmetad.socket lvm2-monitor
sudo systemctl stop lvm2-lvmetad.socket lvm2-monitor

At least, this is what solved it for me. There’s an open bug report.

I have done something similar to z2 but do it only if your install involves partitions and not LVM - because then the lvm2 packages are not required. I just looked for any packages which contain the name lvm2 and uninstall them. That solved the delayed “power off” after the line “Reached Target Shutdown” on a Leap15.1 desktop and on my Tumbleweed laptop. Hope this helps.