Shutdown command broken

It seems that Tumbleweed’d KDE is not offering reboot option at all. Thus rebooting from command line is the option to go. I have noticed that shutdown does not work any more. I mentioned this also in another thread.

shutdown -r +0

Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory
Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory

Luckily, reboot still works.

Hi jiivee,

There is a reboot/shutdown option in TW’s KDE. Could you check if your system has enabled the option of **Offer shutdown options** in System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Desktop Session > General?

Works here. What “ls -l $(which shutdown)” says?

It says /sbin/shutdown is link to /usr/bin/systemctl.

Same. Probably, you have some other issue that is revealed by this particular command.

Yes indeed, there are other issues as well described in the other thread. I just don’t understand how this very complex systemctl stuff works and where to look when it is boken.

Works for me.

That is to say, shutdown from within KDE works for me (on Tumbleweed).

I haven’t recently tried the shutdown command at the terminal, so I can’t comment on that. It should also be possible to use CTRL-ALT-F1 (to get to a console screen), and then use CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot without having to first login as root.

I finally managed to solve all problems – at once! KDE now also offers options to reboot and shutdown.

OpenSuse installation allows to create /tmp, /run, /var/lock and /var/run as tmpfs filesystems. However, systemd nowdays want that /var/run is a bind mount to /run.
⇒ Solution was to comment out /var/run tmpfs filesystem line from /etc/fstab and reboot. Startup of whole KDE environment took only few seconds.

You may consider opening bug report for this.

I filed bug 1017683.