should booting to init level 1 work? it hangs

When I add “1” to the kernel options at grub time, it appears to hang at the point networking wicked would normally show some information.

Am I missing something? In run level 1 (rescue.target) networking is not started. Thus how can wicked even do something?

I’m not saying wicked hangs. I’m saying that’s the point where it hangs if it were init 3. I don’t know what it’s waiting for. Init level 2 doesn’t hang. Does booting to level 1 hang for you on Tumbleweed?

Solution: Haha ugh, it’s actually waiting for the root password. But there’s no visible prompt for the password … until pressing enter once …

That was for SysV init. The post-boot state for systemd is set by a symbolic link at /etc/systemd/system/default.target. To enter the rescue state (approximately equivalent to run-level 1), change this link. The following commands will demonstrate the possibilities.
An alternative, even more minimalist state than rescue is emergency.

To change the post-boot state by editing the Grub menu during start-up, add on of these strings to the kernel parameters:

systemd.unit=emergency.target
systemd.unit=rescue.target

rayh@y3:~> ls -lh /etc/systemd/system/default.target
 ... /etc/systemd/system/default.target -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/graphical.target
rayh@y3:~> 
rayh@y3:~> ls -lh /usr/lib/systemd/system/runlevel?.target
 ... /usr/lib/systemd/system/runlevel0.target -> poweroff.target
 ... /usr/lib/systemd/system/runlevel1.target -> rescue.target
 ... /usr/lib/systemd/system/runlevel2.target -> multi-user.target
 ... /usr/lib/systemd/system/runlevel3.target -> multi-user.target
 ... /usr/lib/systemd/system/runlevel4.target -> multi-user.target
 ... /usr/lib/systemd/system/runlevel5.target -> graphical.target
 ... /usr/lib/systemd/system/runlevel6.target -> reboot.target
rayh@y3:~>

Brilliant!
Much less typing even than “init=/bin/sh”.

It work just fine with systemd.

systemd.unit=emergency.target
systemd.unit=rescue.target

Sure you can do it if you insist on typing more.