Setup home server

Hi I am wanting to set up a server at home. I want the server to be a DHCP server, web server, proxy server and I want all pc’s to log on to this server to gain access to the internet. I’m thinking about also making it a file server as well.

Can someone show me some websites or tutorials or if you have a few suggestions, it would be great.

Thanks

Make it a DNS server as well … and it will be perfect.
Do you really need a proxy server ?
Use openSUSE for fileserver, Apache, DHCP/DNS … but … ok, nevermind … I was about to say use OpenBSD with pf as your firewall/router … nevermind;)
openSUSE does a great fileserver. It’s always my first choice distro for fileservers.

That’s a lot of stuff …

Everything is possible - but I suggest to start with DHCP, then continue with the proxy server and finally setup a DNS server. Unfortunately I don’t have any links handy - just use google - which should give you a lot of hits. I suggest to ask concrete questions whenever you have DHCP/DNS/proxy issues :wink:

On 09/02/2010 09:36 PM, kravmaga wrote:
>
> Hi I am wanting to set up a server at home. I want the server to be a
> DHCP server, web server, proxy server and I want all pc’s to log on to
> this server to gain access to the internet. I’m thinking about also
> making it a file server as well.
>
> Can someone show me some websites or tutorials or if you have a few
> suggestions, it would be great.

http://www.howtoforge.org/howtos/linux/suse

Vahis

http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64) 2.6.34-12-default
05:59am up 0:14, 5 users, load average: 0.26, 0.26, 0.26

Thanks guys for your quick responses. Let me give you what I’m wanting to do and then if you could advise what would be the best way to achieve it.
I am wanting all users to have to log on to the server.
I’m wanting to block certain internet content.
I don’t want IP address conflicts.
I would like it if the server has/is some kind of defence to the network.
It would be great to store some data on it as well but this is not necessary.

This will be my first Linux server I have made, I’m wanting to user Linux desktops as well. I currently have Ubuntu 10,04 installed as my desktop but I may switch to Fedora.
Looking forward to learning from you.
Thanks

Brendan

If you have the money for another computer or the one your planing to use can handle virtualization, I would recommend SmoothWall Express for your firewall, proxy and dhcp/dns servers. SmoothWall does all of these and also supports separate zones on the network so that you can put the web server on a different zone from your main network to allow easy access from the outside to the web server while keeping your main network safe. And use openSUSE for everything else. If it were my network I would build one really powerful computer, install something like vmware and then install SmoothWall and 2 separate installs of SUSE, one for a web server and one to act as a file server/whatever else I needed.

to have to ? or to be able/allowed to ? If they have to, they should have their home directory on the server and it should get nfs mounted (in /etc/fstab) before they can log in.

I don’t want IP address conflicts.

You should’nt with DHCP. But the best thing to do is to set fix IPS in the DHCP server config (not on the clients!) to all knows machines (computers, printers, Ipods, Ipads, toasters) on your lan. You do that by assigning IPs to MAC addresses.

I would like it if the server has/is some kind of defence to the network.

The best defence is a separate BSD firewall running pf. :wink:

It’s common practice to have no user accounts and user data on firewalls. Then you should setup a second box - or create a second virtual machine if you go with VMs.

You can find HowTo series about home server creation on my site:

Zdenek Polach » Small and Green Linux Home Server

Maybe you can find some useful pieces of information there.

My limitation is that I only have 1 pc to use as a server for now, I should be getting a second pc in a month or two. I’m wanting to experiment with the servers so I don’t mind building 1 now then rebuilding it when I get the second pc. Since I only have this one pc what type of server should I set up? The whole point behind this exercise is to gain experience in linux administration, so with my limitation what would be the best, or most experience gaining, server to set up.

Thanks Vahis and Zdenal, I will be reading through your tutorials.

Thanks
Brendan