Setting up openSUSE on an Acer computer

I bought an Acer T3-710 computer at the weekend. This came with windows 10 pre-installed and I installed opensuse (the latest tumbleweed ISO) – as I wanted to have both opensuse and windows on my computer. The install went fine but on re-booting my computer started windows. I went into the UEFI settings (tap the delete key) and there was no sign of any opensuse boot option.

The problem was that Acer hard code the boot option to windows in their uefi coding and it simply disregards any other boot options that are added. With considerable help from forum members (especially malcolmlewis) I managed to sort out the problem and show my steps below. These are based on Secure Boot being turned off in the uefi settings.

Warning Note - before following these please make sure that you have created a windows recovery disc and that any data on your computer has been backed-up.

**1) To check the boot entries start the computer using a Live KDE DVD (you may need to change your uefi settings to boot from the DVD first). Then select the programme 'Terminal – Super User Mode’ **(there is no need for a root password as it is a live DVD) and enter the command:

efibootmgr –v

This will show the boot entries and an example would be:

Acer-PC:~ # efibootmgr -v
BootCurrent: 0002
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 0002,0000,0001
Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager HD(1,GPT,2cb386ed-3aa3-4e2f-ad10-389625f3b61b,0x800,0x32000)/File(\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi)WINDOWS…x…B.C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{.9.d.e.a.8.6.2.c.-.5.c.d.d.-.4.e.7.0.-.a.c.c.1.-.f.3.2.b.3.4.4.d.4.7.9.5.}…}…
Boot0001 opensuse-secureboot VenHw(99e275e7-75a0-4b37-a2e6-c5385e6c00cb)
Boot0002* UEFI: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GUE1N PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x17,0x0)/Sata(3,65535,0)/CDROM(1,0x42f,0x2000)…BO
Acer-PC:~ #

2) You then need to remove all boot entries listed using the example command below:

efibootmgr -b 4 -B 4

(the number is the last digit in the boot order so to remove opensuse-secureboot entry in the above example it would be efibootmgr -b 1 -B 1)

3) Once you have removed all entries run the command:

efibootmgr -c -L “opensuse” -l \EFI\opensuse\grubx64.efi

This will then add opensuse as the boot entry. Reboot and opensuse should start

4) Replace the Windows Boot with the following:

Firstly copy the file bootx64.efi (in the folder \EFI\boot) to bootx64-old.efi. Then copy grubx64.efi file (in the EFI\opensuse folder) into the EFI\boot folder and rename this as bootx64.efi

5) Again remove the entries in the boot list (as per 2) and run the command:

efibootmgr -c -L “Windows Boot Manager” -l “\EFI\boot\bootx64.efi”

If you then reboot your computer you should get the standard opensuse boot menu option – which should have included a windows boot option. Then choose which system you wish to use.