Setting the time zone??

Can someone tell me the secret/correct way to setting up the time zone and having it stick??? (for all users/desktops etc.)
This is really annoying…

I set up the time zone via yast-.system-> date and time, setup NTP,
I also go to the tool bar, right click on time, Adjust date/time and Digital clock settings…

still wont show the correct time…NTP is running (shows in process table), so, what the heck is going on?

I shouldn’t have to be this difficult…
J

It really isn’t that difficult.

For the system-wide setting you should use YaST.
This should work for all users/desktops.

Unless one/the user overrides it in the user’s settings.
For this you should tell which desktop you are using.

If it’s KDE, try “Configure Desktop” in the application menu, other desktops should have similar settings.

Note that some versions of Windows can reset the hardware clock to local time if you dual boot.

There are 3 times the hardware time the system time and the user time. Linux like to use UTC the system time then should be set to the local time for where the system lives. Each user then can set time to where they may live. Remember Linux is multi-user

Windows tends to think that the hardware time is set to local time though it can be set to use UTC

Ummm, yea, that is what I did…used YaST, and I do have KDE desktop. I didn’t try Configure Desktop (at least I don’t recall doing that).
I want the change to affect both desktops, which is why I did it in YaST. So what is wrong?

J

Here are 4 commands that I have just run (the “$” is just the shell prompt).

$ ls -l /etc/localtime

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 Dec 14 07:44 /etc/localtime -> ../usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago
$ echo $TZ

$ cat /etc/adjtime

0.0 0 0.0
UTC
$ date

Mon Jan 18 21:36:32 CST 2016

$

The first command tells me what the timezone is set to.
The second command shows that I am not overriding that with a shell environment variable.
The third tells me that the BIOS clock is set to UTC.
The fourth gives me the time and date (and zone) at the time I did those commands (a few minutes ago).

Please provide the corresponding output from your system. Use a code block (generate with “#” icon).