Set the same power management settings on ac on and Battery?

Hi Forum, i`m still new to this so please be patient.

I have a question related to power management settings, i have already managed to disable my 2 ATI Graphics-card and solved all problems with powertop.

Still, i recognize that my laptop is getting pretty warm, but it stays cool (like it used to be on Windows) when i`m on battery mode.

So, my Question is is there a script or something or can anyone guide me to set the settings that the laptop is on when in Battery mode when plugged in?

Though i would like to keep the Soundcard not in Powersave-mode because i had some sound related issues when running on battery.

I already tried laptop-mode-tools, but i can`t get them to work.

Thanks in advance.

You got to tell us your openSUSE version and Desktop that is being used. In the mean time have a look here:

C.F.U. - CPU Frequency Utilitiy - Version 1.10 - For use with the cpufrequtils package - Blogs - openSUSE Forums & YaST Power Management - Control Your CPU Energy Usage How To & FAQ - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

Oh, of course; My OpenSUSE Version is 12.3 64bit with Gnome Desktop.

Thanks for helping me out. :slight_smile:

Did you look at or use either of the two links I posted? What speed is your CPU running at? The CFU utility allows you to determine and select the default speed governor. YaST allows a round about way of setting it on each restart. It is possible to run CFU on startup to select the default speed governor if you wish or you can compile your own kernel and set the default speed governor to be used by the Linux Kernel. CPU speed affects heat and thus fan speed required to cool it down.

Thank You,

Yeah, i looked at both links, CPU Power isn`t my problem though, the CPU is not getting that hot anyway, it must be something else that is built in in my laptop.

I thought there must be some way to set the settings when in battery mode on ac too. Isn`t?

So you indicated you solved the ATI video card problem I thought and the CPU is the next highest heat generator and power consumer. Other choices includes the motherboard chipset and hard drive, but dealing with these specially is different. For instance, allowing the hard drive to go into standby is one solution, but has a noticeable delay when allowed to startup. I am unsure of your next direction.

Thank You,

You`re right, maybe at first i should try out bringing the CPU Power down, maybe it helps for heat in General and it cools down the Pc and there are no other steps necessary.

Hopefully.

Also, a good cleaning of video card and CPU heat sinks, cooling fans and making sure they all work is important. Unless you pulled a new PC out of a box today or just finished cleaning it yesterday, do not discount the effect of dust build up in any PC or Laptop when heat is being a problem for you. I actually have had a Dell Laptop come up and tell me it was shutting down due to over heating once. I pulled out a can of duster spray and blasted all of the heat sinks through the vents and was amazed at the amount of dust that came out. The Laptop then fired right up as normal. I suggest you try to clean all PC’s at least once a year in normal operation.

Thank You,