set priority tweaking

Hi all

I was wandering if i could make my system always responding to me…
I will try to explain myself in my word because i am learning linux
I want my system when it hang for any reason, to respond to the mouse and priorityse me.
Just an example when i was copying large file to my root drive i couldn’t open an app, I had to wait like a moron in front my pc that the file finish copying so the app did open
I saw that i could change priority of cpu sheduler and I/0 scheduler in the system monitor…
I need help for which process should i give higher priority

System:openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64)
KDE:4.8.5 (4.8.5) “release 2”
up to date

ps… sorry for bad english

Hello and welcome! The simplest way to keep the system responsive is to run a task you know will reduce responsiveness using nice. This is not as automatic or friendly as it should be though. So for example, if you want to start the file manager (assuming KDE) with low priority, press alt+f2 and run: nice dolphin

I just had a debate on Google+ where I was told there is nothing to fix with Linux desktop performance. I disagreed. And obviously your experience is evidence that I am correct. Do not let me scare you though. Performance is ‘good’ just could be better for interactivity.

Please ask if you need more specific help.

Thank you for fast answer
Correct me if i am wrong but then should i always start task using low priority to prioritize system responsiveness…
and if possible then is there a script or something i could do to do it automatically

thanks

There is no simple way to do this without modifying root owned files or creating your own custom launchers on the desktop.