Segmentation fault (core dumped) -- BUT where?

Trying to get tesseract-ocr (installed from system package manager) working but it keeps saying:
Segmentation fault (core dumped). My question is not so much about tesseract-ocr but where are the cores going. Later questions about tesseract-ocr. See codeblock below.

Maybe look at them or maybe remove them but where are they? I did updatedb for locate database. Search in locate on core gives thousand lines of hits but don’t see any that look like core dumps.

Running tesseract as user but I assume coredumps would go into root somewhere.

(base) tom@mydesktop:~/Desktop> tesseract diesel.tif output --oem 1 -l eng
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
(base) tom@mydesktop:~/Desktop>

Any guidance? thanks, tom kosvic

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Core_dump

Show

cat /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern

@tckosvic:

The core dumps are handled by systemd – you can view them with the command “coredumpctl

If, the core dumps are still present on your system, they’re stored in ‘/var/lib/systemd/coredump/’ …

• But, systemd tends to move old core dumps to the systemd Journal …
    Check the systemd “coredump.conf” and “systemd-coredump”.

This is true if package systemd-coredump is installed. This is not installed by default on Leap 15.5 systems.
If it is installed core_pattern is set to;

>  cat /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern
|/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-coredump %P %u %g %s %t %c %h

If not and this is the 15.5 default in my opinion it is set to:

cat /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern
|/bin/false
base) tom@mydesktop:~> cat /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern
|/bin/false
(base) tom@mydesktop:~> 

don’t understand what the response to this command means

coredumpctl was not installed by default. i installed it from yast software manager. no “gold” star though.

(base) tom@mydesktop:~> coredumpctl
No coredumps found.
(base) tom@mydesktop:~> 

But maybe coredumctl had to have been installed prior to the coredumps to know about them.

tom kosvic

It means that no dumps are created.

sorry @arvidjaar , i meant response to “cat /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern” in reply above. Response was
" |/bin/false "

tom kosvic

See my previous reply.

Directory: /var/lib/systemd/coredump is empty.

I guess tessereact is only kidding about make coredumps.

tom kosvic

No, it does not. Do not confuse “process dumped core” with “this core dump was stored somewhere persistently”.

So the term “core dumped” written by a process does not necessarily mean a file was created and written and is stored someplace. It only gets stored if it is configured to get stored.

If so, I learned a new thing and I thank you.