Seeing the home computer from outside.

There is a computer in a home running opensuse into which I would like to login.

As usual, the computer is connected wirelessly to the home’s router. I cannot control the router in order to direct incoming connections, say, on sshd port, to that computer.

Is there a way to log into that computer from outside?

The computer is fully under my control, as distinct from the home router. I know all relevant IP addresses. I can start any service on the computer, or start any command, or ask somebody to start a command while I am not at home.

Typically the router does NAT, so if you cannot control it to do port forwarding, you’re out of luck.

However if you have a server outside under your control, you can establish a persistent connection to that server, and set up a reverse ssh tunnel to your home computer. For this use the -R option:

homecomputer$ ssh -R 2200:localhost:22 remoteserver

On the remote sever you would do

remoteserver$ ssh -p 2200 localhost

and you’re connected to your home computer’s sshd.

Hi
The other option is to install something like teamviewer I use it for the MIL’s openSUSE 11.3 system. TeamViewer - Free Remote Access and Remote Desktop Sharing over the Internet

Totally agree. The team viewer is very easy to use and free for non commercial usage.

Best regards,
Greg

wow! Thats pretty neat ! I HAVE to try this sometime.

I cannot figure out how KRDC works and I cannot get into a windows system with my opnsuse on Remote Desktop Viewer. Hep would be appriciated. Also, my dad and I cannot figure out how to get VM to work. We ca gen into XEN but all that happens is that there is a black screen and if we open the manager, I gives us a small blue screen. EXPLANATION please???

-Miro