Samba with Windows 7

Hi,

I am trying to connect to a Windows 7 PC through Samba, and while samba can find the Windows 7 PC, it cannot access it, asking for a username and password instead.

However, I can access the another Windows XP share perfectly fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

On Mon March 22 2010 03:16 pm, beardo41186 wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to connect to a Windows 7 PC through Samba, and while samba
> can find the Windows 7 PC, it cannot access it, asking for a username
> and password instead.
>
> However, I can access the another Windows XP share perfectly fine.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
>
> Thanks in advance
>
>
beardo41186;

Provide the username/password for a valid Windows 7 user. There are some
differences from XP and Vista in how Windows 7 handles workgroups/domains. I
wrote an outline for setting this up a while back. You might find this
helpful:
http://forums.opensuse.org/network-internet/428658-proposed-howto-sharing-windows-7-files.html

P. V.
“We’re all in this together, I’m pulling for you.” Red Green

I might suggest you look at my post at:

Samba SMB file sharing in openSUSE 11.2 - openSUSE Forums

Here is the section on some Windows Vista and 7 issues and settings from that document.

**Windows Computer file Sharing:
The intent of this document is to not go over how to share files from a Windows computer. In general file sharing in Windows XP just seems to work with Samba, however you may need to check a few things in Windows Vista and in Windows 7. On the Windows Vista or Windows 7 machine go to:

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy

In the application “Local Security Policy” open up “Local Polices” on the Left Tree options and select “Security Options”. On the right look for the setting called “Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level” and double click this setting with your mouse. On the first tab called “Local Security Setting” select the pull down option that says “Send LM and NTLM – use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated”. Hit the Apply button and then the OK button.

On the same “Security Options” page find the options called “Network Security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP based (including secure RPC) clients” and “Network Security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP based (including secure RPC) servers. Both should say next to them “No minimum” as its setting. If either security option does not say “No minimum” then double click that option and on the first tab labeled “Local Security Setting” uncheck the options for “Require NTLMv2 session security” and “Require 128-bit encryption” then press Apply and then OK to set the required options

After the above changes I still had an issue with a computer running Windows 7. When I entered my login name and password, it would not be accepted, even though it was correct. After searching the Internet I found the suggestion to uninstall the “Windows Live Sign in Assistant” on the windows 7 system. To do this on the Windows 7 machine select:

Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features

Allow the loaded application Window to populate with all of your applications then find the “Windows Live Sign in Assistant”, highlight it with your mouse and select to “Uninstall” the application. Reboot your computer when done and see if you can not log into your Windows 7 computer.

Thank You,