RoundCube as an e-mail client reader?

I was searching for a client e-mail reader and have tried to get RoundCube to work, but I’m starting to suspect if I’m using it for a purpose it wasn’t intended.

Will RoundCube work as an e-mail client with multiple external e-mail accounts much as Kmail or Evolution would?

If so, where do you set up the server accounts - hard coded in a configuration file?

I see that nobody has replied yet. Perhaps forum members are not familiar with the software.

I am also not familiar with it. But I did check their web page.

It looks as if this is intended for use with webmail servers. This is different from what clients such as “kmail” and “thunderbird” do. But maybe it will work for you. I don’t have any advice other than to try it out and not get your expectations too high.

I am, but so much to do that there’s no time to reply :slight_smile:

Roundcube is a webmail aimed at people who want to run an externally available email client using a browser for themselves or for multiple users. However, it’s not designed to be a multi-account local email client (that being said, you can extend it with a plugin to support multiple email accounts for one user). IMO you’re trying to cram it into something it’s not very good at.

You should use applications like KMail, Mailspring, Thunderbird, Sylpheed, Evolution or Geary/PantheonMail if you intend to use the email from your laptop/workstation. All these support multiple accounts without any additional hacking.

My ISP offers it for webmail and I use it without problems. For configuration see Configuration · roundcube/roundcubemail Wiki · GitHub

Thanks for all the responses. That is helpful to know my suspicions were correct.

I had used RoundCube on server hosts, and it seemed to work ok, so was hoping it’d work locally

What it was starting to look like. Just took me awhile. “Client” made me think it’d work for my purpose, but guess it’s more of a client targeting a specific mail host server. Which works great with your hosting provider, but if you want to check mail on multiple hosts, then you have to start cramming it as not intended. I suppose Squirrelmail and Horde are the same in that aspect?

You should use applications like KMail, Mailspring, Thunderbird, Sylpheed, Evolution or Geary/PantheonMail if you intend to use the email from your laptop/workstation. All these support multiple accounts without any additional hacking.

Thanks for some other suggestions. I just didn’t like what I had known about, but will look at Mailspring and Sylpheed.