Removing ATI drivers

I installed the Radeon proprietary drivers last night, they broke Gnome Shell and forced me into “fallback” mode, normally I would have edited xorg.conf or run sax2 to fix the problem, however, xorg.conf does not exist and sax2 isn’t there…

So, what’s the best way to remove these drivers and use the open source drivers again?

Hi Parenthesis

Have a look at please_try_again’s script

Upgrading ATI driver with atiupgrade

This should allow you to remove the proprietary driver and revert back to the open source radeon driver.

This might be useful too:

SDB:ATI troubleshooting - openSUSE

If all else fails:

1. boot by appending “3” to the end of the grub commandline, of the selected boot entry, when the grub screen appears; this gets you to the commandline login screen after booting; log in (as root avoids problems). Using run level 3 ensures no ATI driver components are loaded year, to interfere with removal of the driver.

2. “cd /usr/share/ati” and then “sh ./fglrx-uninstall.sh”. This is the usual process to delete the driver.

3. After successful removal, reboot and Suse’s regular video driver should load and be available.

4. If step 2 is unsuccessful, try “sh ./amd-uninstall.sh” instead. And if that should fail, try “sh ./amd-uninstall.sh --force”, but only if prior uninstall messages reveal you won’t end up borking something.

This assumes you installed the ATI driver manually after d/l from AMD; if, instead, you used the module available through Yast Software Management, then simply use that process to delete the driver/module.