Reinstall openSuse from running System

Hey there,

is there a possibility to trigger a reinstall of openSuse from the System itself?

Since this Distro is running as a Server and is built-in I dont want to dismount it and so on…

Why not do an online upgrade?

That depends of course very much on what you mean with “reinstall”. When that is a real fresh installation: No. Because that requires partitioning and file system creation on the file systems you are using.

But it eludes me why you want to reinstall a system you already have running. This may mean I do not understanding at all what you want.

Upgrade to the same system? What is the use of that? He talks about a reinstall, not about an upgrade to something different.

I am using this Machine for a SAP Trial System. But I screwed up and its not working anymore. I dont know which directories were created and which were modified by the installer.

So my approach was to start with a clean, fresh system

I do not see how one can do this while the system is running.

Maybe when you have unallocated (read: unpartitioned, or unused partitions) disk space on the system. But that would need a very, very sound plan with a lot of knowledge about what all happens during an installation. Also, when you have no physical access to insert an installation medium, you must download all and everything from the net.

Nice exercise, but not on a system that really matters.

Okay I get it. Seems like a fun Saturday, again.

By the Way: Do you know a way to Backup an openSUSE System with Ext4 File System? Till now I couldnt find a way to resolve this

There are numerous ways to backup. I use rsync (and that is of course file system type independent because it works on the file level). Thus I am also able to recover very easy a single file where a user comes and says: I have deleted/borked a file, please help. This is however not a backup of the system. Installing the system fresh after a disaster is probably quicker and covers situations where you need new hardware.

Thus I backup user data and a few system places which it might be interesting to study when reinstalling. To name them in my situation:

/home
/etc
/boot
/root
/srv

The last one because I have web-server data there.

But, as said. Everybody must decide on her/his own backup policy and test the recovery procedure(s) that belong to it.

1 Like

Sounds like what you want to do is force a reinstall of installed packages. That’s certainly possible.

command line - How to reinstall all installed packages with zypper - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange provides a possible answer to this (I’d test it in a VM first, but yes, that should do the trick.).

For a backup, there are a number of options depending on what you’re looking to do. You can use rsync to back up data per hcvv’s comment. If you’re looking to create a disk image, something like Clonezilla might be a better option - but that doesn’t work necessarily on a live system (backup software has long had issues with backing up open files - databases in particular, or other transactional files).

For doing testing, I would be inclined to use a virtual machine technology with a snapshot. I do that myself using both VirtualBox and VMWare Workstation - when I need to test something, I fire up a VM, install what I want to test, and then revert it to the previously “known good” snapshot that I’ve created. I do update them about once a month (usually right before I go to use one, I update them all).

OP’s using 15.4, just weeks until out of support. Upgrade to 15.5.

That could IMHO opinion lead to a recommendation to upgrade (with your argument in the post of course), but it was not an answer to the question asked.

But I admit that the OP made a case of “Describe the goal not the step” (How To Ask Questions The Smart Way). That will often generate a wide variation of answers only partly applicable. In the mean time the OP offered some more background.