Regular OS maintenance: software update

Hello,
can you please share information regarding regular maintenance in MicroOS with focus on software update?

I get a popup saying the system has been upgraded daily.
However, running sudo transactional-update up confirms that +100 packages are outdated.

THX

Do you reboot after such popup?

Why are you using transactional-update up That’s not how you update MicroOS. It’s an atomic/transactional update system.

Popup? So you’re running Aeon, or Kalpa, Is your desktop GNOME, or KDE?

1 Like

The popup clearly states:

“Updates successfully installed”
“System has been upgraded, on $TIME”
" please reboot to take effect."

If you do not reboot, then the changes haven’t taken effect, so any transactional-update command will act as if no updates were installed - because they weren’t yet…that only happens when you reboot

You should be using dup, not up, on MicroOS or Aeon

1 Like

I’m running Aeon.

Actually I don’t reboot daily.

Then Richard is absolutely correct, as far as transactional-update is concerned, the updates are still not applied, because you haven’t rebooted into the new snapshot, that was downloaded during the maintenance window.

I don’t get any popup about updates with Aeon. Is a new feature?
I set rebootmgr to auto-reboot because was tired to check for updates…

1 Like

This is the way.

I use transactional-update on Tumbleweed Slowroll and have it apply the update live to not have to reboot every day. On MicroOS, you could update the transactional-update.service file to have it changed to:

ExecStart=/usr/sbin/transactional-update apply cleanup ${UPDATE_METHOD} reboot

As your system is not rebooting currently, check if transactional-update.timer is enabled.

I use systemd timers for check updates before i get at work (or before i back at home), and eventually reboot instantly.
I use this method because have setted ‘auto-resume’ and ‘auto-suspend’ services, so my machine are awake only when needed.

@Gluca If it’s suspended, or system not using AC power (laptop) it will skip reboot…

Yes, but i have set a service with systemd-timer to resume at 8 am, then i edited the update service to check for updates at 8:10 am with systemctl edit transactional-update.timer, and have remootmgr set to reboot=instantly.
This is an example, i have multiple timers to resume and suspend my machines.

Don’t know if is the correct way to do things, but i like to find my pc at work and home already updated, rebooted and awake. At home i use a plex container too, so it get updated with the system reboots.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.