Redshift - GeoClue needs Internet connection every time

Hello,

Recently I switched from Ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS to OpenSUSE LEAP 42.3 (with KDE). I installed Redshift and in order to get it working I need Internet connection for GeoClue to do geolocalization, It needs Internet connection every single time when I’m starting Redshift (in most cases when I boot my computer). When I was starting Redshift on Ubuntu MATE offline, Redshift remembered my recent position. That allowed me to use Redshift without worries about Internet connection. Is there a way to do something like this on OpenSUSE or is there a way to repair it in other way (for example specify manually my location).

If there’s software similar to Redshift in OpenSUSE repos, especially if it’s integrated with KDE (unfortunately Redshift in OpenSUSE repos has only GTK version), please let me know too.

Some suggestions…

If you really want to run Redshift and are familiar with containers,
You might try deploying a Redshift Docker container and use that to create your other containers.
Seems to me that would be the simplest way of allowing you to continue to do what you are familiar with.

SUSE/openSUSE has its own managed containers project, called Kubic.
I haven’t looked at it recently, to me its early development was heavily based on SUSE with less attention to deployment on openSUSE (but it exists as a TW image)
https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Kubic

Otherwise,
If you’re not using managed features, you could just deploy Docker.

HTH,
TSU

There’s also f.lux, that has a GUI applet in a couple of OBS repo.

https://software.opensuse.org/package/fluxgui

AFAIN you have do download f.lux from their web site. Last version (also with a GUI) seems to be from 2013, however…

I’ve tried it years ago, but didn’t notice any relevant changes in my circadian rhythm.

Thanks for the help.

I didn’t understand the first answer at all. I’m just a simple guy that uses LibreOffice, not GNU Emacs. :wink: I admire such a knowledge, but I’m not “techy” enough to understand it.

I know f.lux, but the necessity of installing it from outside of the official repos doesn’t encourage me to try it out.

I’ve just found quite simple solution. I’m using a command to open Redshift and in the same time I’m omitting geolocalization by manually setting my location.

redshift -l 52.3:13.2 -t 5500:3500 -g 0.8 -m randr -v

I’ve just simply added this command to autostart. Using terminal is of course also possible, if autostart is not desired.

“52.3:13.2” stands for location. As an example: approximately Berlin (not my true location).

Reading my earlier post,
I’m also sorry I wasn’t clear and probably didn’t properly understand your question…

My earlier post supposed that you might have a network connection related to Redshift and it would depend on how you installed/deployed Redshift…
So my suggestion was to install it as a pre-built package that would work generically and be set up using common stuff to your deployment technology.

If your app is looking for its location when it first starts up,
I’d suggest that’s natural behavior.
When you wake up in the morning and perhaps not in your bed, wouldn’t you wonder where you are?
Yes, you can set the location and that’s fairly common when for instance you’e building an app, but typically for normal use there is a reason for the app wanting to discover its location. You’ll have to determine if your workaround has any downside.

TSU

Good point. I don’t travel a lot, so it’s not a problem for me to manually set my location. I just didn’t know how to do it. Now I know. :slight_smile:

Again, thanks for the help.