Realtek HD Audio

I have a Asus F3sa notebook with Realtek HD Audio (ALC660), but I don’t know how to make it works!

I’m not an expert on linux, so speak clearly :smiley:

Try working your way through the openSUSE audio troubleshooting guide:
openSUSE AudioTroubleshooting -

If that does not work for you, please provide us more information (for example, which openSUSE version are you using?). … Anyway, please paste here:
a. the output URL(s) generated by running the two diagnostic scripts in the audio troubleshooting guide: Scripts_to_run_to_obtain_detailed_information

b. the output of typing the following commands in a terminal/xterm/konsole:
rpm -qa | grep alsa
rpm -qa | grep pulse
rpm -q libasound2
uname -a
cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

I have tried to follow step 1 with no goal … doing rpm -q alsa alsa-utils alsa-firmware, I have:

alsa-1.0.16-39.1
alsa-utils-1.0.16-35.1
alsa-firmware-1.0.16-24.1

I’m using openSuse 11 Gnome x86 on a Asus F3sa (intel core2duo, ati hd2600, realtek hd audio alc660) …

rpm -qa | grep alsa
alsa-oss-1.0.15-48.1
alsa-utils-1.0.16-35.1
alsa-firmware-1.0.16-24.1
alsa-1.0.16-39.1
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.16-57.1
alsa-plugins-1.0.16-57.1

rpm -qa | grep pulse
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth-0.9.10-26.1
gstreamer-0_10-pulse-0.9.5-54.1
pulseaudio-module-lirc-0.9.10-26.1
libpulse0-0.9.10-26.1
pulseaudio-module-x11-0.9.10-26.1
pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-0.9.10-26.1
libpulse-mainloop-glib0-0.9.10-26.1
pulseaudio-0.9.10-26.1
pulseaudio-module-gconf-0.9.10-26.1
pulseaudio-esound-compat-0.9.10-26.1
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.16-57.1
libpulsecore4-0.9.10-26.1
libpulse-browse0-0.9.10-26.1
pulseaudio-utils-0.9.10-26.1

rpm -q libasound2
libasound2-1.0.16-39.1

uname -a
Linux linux-452y 2.6.25.5-1.1-pae #1 SMP 2008-06-07 01:55:22 +0200 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound
options snd slots=snd-hda-intel
# u1Nb.ULiNFUWt9WF:82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel

:(:(:(:frowning:

How about the two diagnostic scripts? Any luck in running those, and pasting their output URLs here?

Also, that is a lot of pulse audio applications. Are all those necessary?

Anyway, I did a search on the ALSA web site for an ALC660, and I did not see any recent software upgrades. I note this in the ALSA-Configuration.txt file, giving guidance for asus users with an ALC660:

ALC861/660
	  3stack	3-jack
	  3stack-dig	3-jack with SPDIF I/O
	  6stack-dig	6-jack with SPDIF I/O
	  3stack-660	3-jack (for ALC660)
	  uniwill-m31	Uniwill M31 laptop
	  toshiba	Toshiba laptop support
	  asus		Asus laptop support
	  asus-laptop	ASUS F2/F3 laptops
	  auto		auto-config reading BIOS (default)

So can you edit you PC’s /etc/modprobe.d/sound file, such that it looks like this:

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel model=asus-laptop

save the change, and then restart your sound from a terminal/konsole/xterm with rcalsasound restart Then test your audio.

If that doesn’t work, then maybe try the following instead in your PCs /etc/modprobe.d/sound file:

options snd-hda-intel enable=1 index=0 model=asus-laptop

save the change, and then restart your sound from a terminal/konsole/xterm with rcalsasound restart Then test your audio.

If that doesn’t work remove those pulse audio applications, reboot your PC, and try those two /etc/modprobe.d/sound file possibilities above again.

I have problem with my Realtek ALC660 on OpenSuSE 11.0.
Sound works fine, but I can’t mute laptop speakers.
Even if headphones switch is on in KMix it would still produce sound from speakers.

Changing model option in YaST doesn’t work (doesn’t change anything, and next time I run utility it shows now change made).

When editing /etc/modprobe.d/sound directly I get errors:

Starting sound driver: hda-intelWARNING: Error inserting snd (/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-pae/kernel/sound/core/snd.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_hwdep (/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-pae/kernel/sound/core/snd-hwdep.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_timer (/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-pae/kernel/sound/core/snd-timer.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_pcm (/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-pae/kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
FATAL: Error inserting snd_hda_intel (/lib/modules/2.6.25.5-1.1-pae/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

/etc/modprobe.d/sound

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel model=3stack

5Dex.IOFetRyhSn6:SBx00 Azalia

Any option gives this error.

To help propose to you what model option might be best, I need more information.

• Desktop? Laptop?
  • Which manufacturer/model#?
  • How many audio jacks on the back of your PC’s sound device? (ie input/output/mic)?
  • Output of the diagnostic scripts noted above?
  • Which alsa versions? Note the specific commands are given above. Please, if you think your problem is similar, and you are thus going to tag on a thread, follow some of the suggestions in the thread and post similar output.

Thank you for participating in our forum, and good luck with sorting your audio. I would like to try help, but I need more information.

I have tried all … nothing!

how you enabled your sound, internetnightmare? can you help me?

Dark_Edo, I don’t know how anyone can help you, if you can not provide information that was requested. We can not see over your shoulder as to the results you get when you type on your PC. So while it may seem to be a waste of your time having to retype and answer detailed questions, to the things you tried, a simple statement “I have tried all … nothing!” helps no one. Especially, it does not help you.

We need detailed answers.

I would like to try help you, but with the dearth of information from you, I can not. Please provide answers to the questions I asked. If you don’t understand what is wanted from the question, please advise.

you’re in right! but i’m very noob with linux and it’s so difficult to follow your guides…

i have tried your suggestions but still no sound. i have the impression that my opensuse is “corrupted” because all the attempts…possible? the sound icon from systray is disappear and the sound panel have some problems, sometimes isn’t any sound card in the list… i don’t know how to return original config without reinstalling system.

recently i have tried ubuntu and all works fine, here not :frowning: may be easier with previous version of opensuse?

IMHO if you only have sound problems, then re-install is horrible overkill.

You can always go back to a default sound setting by opening an xterm/terminal/konsole, and renaming the file /etc/modprobe.d/sound to something like /etc/modprobe.d/sound-22june08-bak

Then either:
a. go to YAST > HARDWARE > SOUND and try to configure your sound, or
b. in a terminal/xterm/konsole type: alsaconf #and try to configure your sound. You NEED to pay special attention to your mixer settings, to ensure they are not blocking your sound.

I have the same problem with the ALC880 Chipset. Please try the following:

sudo rcalsasound stop
sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel model=3stack

Then press alt+F2 and enter “kmix” to restart the mixer tray icon.

This is working for me, but you have to redo it after each boot (You can also put this into a (init)script, but i’m still hoping to find a better solution)…
Good luck…

Thank you. But it doesn’t seem to be changing model options.

I guess I’ll have to go with OSS. It supports my card fully.

Have You tried other models, too? if you have an ALC660, you maybe should use “model=3stack-660”, but try them all, just to be sure :wink:

ALC861/660
	  3stack	3-jack
	  3stack-dig	3-jack with SPDIF I/O
	  6stack-dig	6-jack with SPDIF I/O
->	  3stack-660	3-jack (for ALC660)
	  uniwill-m31	Uniwill M31 laptop
	  toshiba	Toshiba laptop support
	  asus		Asus laptop support
	  asus-laptop	ASUS F2/F3 laptops
	  auto		auto-config reading BIOS (default)

Hi, I have a ALC883 card in my notebook, I have exactly the same problem with internetnightmare. I have rebooted hundreds of times. And did 4 times whole new SuSE 11 installations, I know it’s stupid, but at one of these 4 time, I did get the sound control working properly, the bad thing is this only time i get it working, the video codec can not work, all my dvdrip can not play with Mplayer, vlc,kaffeine,… I did install the win32 codec. Though, for the only one working time,I didn’t know the reason how I got the sound working, because, too many combinations, when selecting software packages.

I also tried specify the “model=XXX” during installation, surely, I tried using alsaconf, I tried yast’s sound. I noticed that alsaconf 's configuration has no effect on yast’s sound. This sound card is driving me mad. Any one please help me out of this.

one more thing, the only one time my sound control worked I mentioned, the Kmix panel was a little different from other times. It has not only a “PCM” channel but also a “Speaker” channel which acted as master control to mute all other channels.

I recommend you take notes, so you can keep track of what you are doing.

Note after a fresh install, openSUSE will not work for audio. This is typical, and due to openSUSE not providing direct “fresh install” support for proprietary codecs. So do not do a re-install because of one’s multimedia. Instead be patient, take notes, and work the problem through. What you are experiencing is class newbie difficulty. Typically after a fresh install, I have all my multimedia working with no problem within 30 minutes of an install. Which means, with the very fast 11.0 install, I have openSUSE-11.0 up and running the way I want (on a test pc) within one hour.

Good luck with your efforts. You had sound working once, so surely you can succeed again.

Hi, oldCPU,
I used to use previous version of SuSE, though encounter some problems, all can be solved after some googling, digging.
but this time,SuSE 11 seems becoming more difficult. I have a bunch of problems, since day one on Apr. 19, none of them solved.

1.sound control problem, the right “model” can not be saved by SuSE. This is the most important problem for me, cuz I use this computer as VoIP client
2.Kcall has no configuration windows. when clicking “Settings”->“Configure KCall…”. nothing happened. This problem exists since 11 RC version.Kcall In Opensuse 11rc - openSUSE Forums ----from another user. I also want this solved, but I can use other SIP client.
3.SCIM starts two instances. As you can tell, I’m not good english speaker. I have to use Input method to communicate with non-english speakers. Lucky enough, I don’t need to stick to SCIM, I can also choose other Input method. so this SCIM problem, I don’t really care much.
4.KWrite can not start from a console. that’s wired. it even does not give error message. but that’s OK, though I do need start Kwrite from console to edit a txt file encoded in non-English, I can alter to log in a kde session as root to do that.
5. Realplay can only play audio file. Why?I never have this problem in previous SuSE. Realplay is a proprietary player, all the codec should be included in its installation file. Maybe only me have this problem.
6.after turning on compiz, I have problem with window focusing, and window title bar. This one I can solve, by the means of turning off compiz.
And…maybe too many complaints. Did you meet some of them? if any solution, please help. The most wanted solution is the HDA sound card model saving problem. My SIP phone have not worked for several days, while the solution seems still beyond my googling. When I got it working once, I took a snapshot for the Kmix. My card is Realtek ALC883 HDA intel sound card. my notebook has two internal speaker, one internal mic, one headphone jack , and another jack working as both mic and spdif out. This is the snapshot of the right model. other models Kmix panels don’t have the “speaker” control channel.http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2203/2603664897_ce9315f595_o.png

I have it working for me now (usual case of RTFM :))

All you have to do is adding a line to /etc/modprobe.d/sound

Before:

# u1Nb.Tpl9SMkJSdD:82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller

After:

options snd-hda-intel model=laptop-eapd
# u1Nb.Tpl9SMkJSdD:82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller

Be sure to replace “laptop-eapd” with the right model :wink:
after that run “rcalsasound restart”, press alt+F2 and enter “kmix” to restart the mixer tray applet (Or simply reboot)
Good Luck…

terwarf,

i have no luck with your line added.

spent a whole night on this…

BTW, where did you get this information, maybe I can go to ask them

And could you please tell me what alsa packages you have in your SuSE 11? and also what versions of them? Thank you.