RDP into OpenSUSE 11.2

I’m a bit new to SUSE, and Linux in general and I’m trying to learn. I’ve created a VMWARE instance of SUSE 11.2 and I’m interested in being able to RDP into it from my windows box. (company mandated)

Could someone please provide a helpful tip or two, or rather a link to a tutorial showing me how to setup my suse box to accept an rdp session.

Hi
You need to use xrdp, for some reason it’s not built for 11.2, so you
will need to grab a src rpm from here;
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/server:/ltsp/openSUSE_11.1/src/xrdp-0.4.1-37.7.src.rpm

rpmbuild --rebuild xrdp-0.4.1-37.7.src.rpm
sudo sypper in /usr/src/packages/RPMS/<arch>/xrdp*

Where <arch> is either i586 for 32bit or x86_64 for 64bit system.

Then have a read here;

Here is the home page;
http://xrdp.sourceforge.net/

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default
up 10 days 0:46, 3 users, load average: 0.09, 0.08, 0.09
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.53

@malcolm, I tried to build the 64 bit rpm following you lead.

I had to install these first after rpm rebuild complained: dbus-1-devel, gcc-c++, glibc-devel, libavahi-devel, libopenssl-devel (because no openssl-devel), pam-devel, xorg-x11-libXau-devel, xorg-x11-libxcb-devel.

Then your command as su runs and nearly completes except for these exit messages:

• STATUS=0
  • ‘’ 0 -ne 0 ‘]’
  • cd xrdp-0.4.1
  • /bin/chmod -Rf a+rX,u+w,g-w,o-w .
  • echo ‘Patch #0 (xrdp-0.4.1…48f00f.diff.bz2):’
    Patch #0 (xrdp-0.4.1…48f00f.diff.bz2):
  • /usr/bin/bzip2 -dc /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/xrdp-0.4.1…48f00f.diff.bz2
  • /usr/bin/patch -s -p1 --fuzz=2
    /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.O00N5H: line 32: /usr/bin/patch: No such file or directory
    error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.O00N5H (%prep)

RPM build errors:
InstallSourcePackage at: psm.c:232: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 67b8ac90
Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.O00N5H (%prep)

No RPM was lodged in /usr/src/packages…etc

Is there anything I can do to fix this, that you can see?

Hi
You need to install patch with zypper;

sudo zypper in patch

The build service builds assume a standard setup, I have started adding
as a build requires on my packages lately.

Also don’t build as root user, just standard user with rpmbuild command.

openSUSE 11.2 (i586) Kernel 2.6.31.12-0.2-desktop
up 10:20, 3 users, load average: 0.08, 0.10, 0.11
ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME

Thanks malcolm, this time, as a standard user, I get this result:

john@suse112:~/Desktop/xrdp112> rpmbuild --rebuild xrdp-0.4.1-37.7.src.rpm
Installing xrdp-0.4.1-37.7.src.rpm
warning: InstallSourcePackage at: psm.c:232: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 67b8ac90
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/xrdp-0.4.1..48f00f.diff.bz2: cpio: rename failed - Operation not permitted
error: xrdp-0.4.1-37.7.src.rpm cannot be installed

Any thoughts?

Hi
Did you initially run as root? If so check the permissions on all the
directories under /usr/src/packages

ls -la /usr/src/packages/
total 28
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 2009-11-02 11:17 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 2010-03-02 22:22 ..
drwxrwxrwt 6 root root 4096 2010-04-07 09:16 BUILD
drwxrwxrwt 4 root root 4096 2009-04-28 11:49 RPMS
drwxrwxrwt 3 root root 4096 2010-04-07 09:16 SOURCES
drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 4096 2010-04-07 09:16 SPECS
drwxrwxrwt 2 root root 4096 2010-04-02 23:00 SRPMS

up 10 days 4:22, 3 users, load average: 0.12, 0.14, 0.15

Hi
If it’s not chmod 1777 will sort it.

up 10 days 4:28, 3 users, load average: 0.05, 0.09, 0.11

Fixed that, now it exits with this:

+ STATUS=0
+ '' 0 -ne 0 ']'
+ cd xrdp-0.4.1
+ /bin/chmod -Rf a+rX,u+w,g-w,o-w .
+ echo 'Patch #0 (xrdp-0.4.1..48f00f.diff.bz2):'
Patch #0 (xrdp-0.4.1..48f00f.diff.bz2):
+ /usr/bin/bzip2 -dc /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/xrdp-0.4.1..48f00f.diff.bz2
+ /usr/bin/patch -s -p1 --fuzz=2
+ echo 'Patch #1 (xrdp-NOMAD.diff):'
Patch #1 (xrdp-NOMAD.diff):
+ /bin/cat /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/xrdp-NOMAD.diff
+ echo 'Patch #2 (xrdp-avahi.diff):'
Patch #2 (xrdp-avahi.diff):
+ /bin/cat /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/xrdp-avahi.diff
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file xrdp/xrdp.h.rej
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.TmkwOF (%prep)

RPM build errors:
    InstallSourcePackage at: psm.c:232: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 67b8ac90
    Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.TmkwOF (%prep)

Ouch :frowning: Try an earlier one;
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/11.1/standard/src/xrdp-0.4.1-16.5.src.rpm

Need to download the src and have a look what is happening :frowning:

openSUSE 11.2 (i586) Kernel 2.6.31.12-0.2-desktop
up 12:42, 3 users, load average: 0.26, 0.43, 0.65
ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME

Hi
I’ve managed to track down a version with the fixed patch and also an
additional one to get it to build. I have it up on the OBS for an 11.2
build so hopefully won’t take long. Before I found this build I had
fixed the avahi one, just borked on the install, but this one build
locally OK.

up 10 days 17:28, 3 users, load average: 0.39, 0.64, 0.60

Ouch :frowning: Try an earlier one;
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/11.1/standard/src/xrdp-0.4.1-16.5.src.rpm

Need to download the src and have a look what is happening :frowning:
[/QUOTE]
Hi
I’ve managed to track down a version with the fixed patch and also an
additional one to get it to build. I have it up on the OBS for an 11.2
build so hopefully won’t take long. Before I found this build I had
fixed the avahi one, just borked on the install, but this one build
locally OK.
[/QUOTE]
Hi
They are built hopefully they will appear on the OBS;
http://software.opensuse.org/search?baseproject=openSUSE%3A11.2&p=1&q=xrdp

Here is the src rpm if you want to rebuild;
http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/4/6/2393623/RPMs/openSUSE_11_2/xrdp-0.4.1-85.1.src.rpm

As always with home repositories I recommend the above is used as a
proof of concept to see it works as I won’t provide updates :wink:

I suggest the OP asks on IRC, Mailing Lists or openFATE to see why it’s
not in 11.2?
http://en.opensuse.org/Communicate
http://en.opensuse.org/OpenFATE

up 10 days 18:30, 3 users, load average: 0.35, 0.14, 0.11

Hey thanks a heap Malcolm.

All this to me is like reading a text in Latin, but I get the drift [never built an RPM before].

I’m currently away from the office until Monday for some R&R. I’ll try the RPMs when I return and report what happens.

@kelfuego, try the rdp RPM out and let us know how it goes for you.

Because of the dependencies first I needed to install xorg-x11-server-dmx-7.3.99-29.8.x86_64.rpm and xorg-x11-server-rdp-7.3.99-12.7.x86_64.rpm from Index of /repositories/server:/ltsp/openSUSE_11.1/x86_64. Then xrdp rpm from http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/malcolmlewis:/Playground/openSUSE_11.2 installed OK.

I confirm that works for me too with 64 bit 11.2 and KDE.

Make sure that these RPMs are installed: kernel-source, make, gcc, gcc-c++, binutils, patch. Missing items can be installed in Yast → Software Management. You can check whether they are installed by opening a console window and entering this command:
rpm -qa | egrep “kernel-source|gcc-|make|binutils|patch”

Now check that you have kernel development tools installed. This command will show you:
rpm -qa | grep kernel | grep devel

It should return an answer similar to this:
kernel-xxxxxx-devel-2.6.31.12-0.2.1.x86_64

If you don’t get a similar return you need to install the missing RPM. The string xxxxxx is your kernel type, which you have to discover by running the command uname -r. For example if I run the command uname -r I get this:
gertrude@linuxtest:~> uname -r
2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop

My kernel type is desktop so I need the RPM kernel-desktop-devel. Other common variants of the kernel type are pae, xen, default, debug, vanilla, etc. Run uname -r to discover yours.

Download and install the VMware Server RPM package. It’s available on this link. The package I used is VMware-server-2.0.2-203138.x86_64.rpm (64 bit version) but as time passes the version number will increase from 2.0.2. The 32 bit version of 2.0.2 also works in openSUSE 11.2 with the method on this page. You will need your software key later. Register to receive the key. Install the package with Yast (e.g. right click and select to install).

Next, open a console, enter su to get rootly powers, change to directory /usr/src/linux and prepare the scene for configuring VMware by entering a series of make commands like so:
gertrude@linuxtest:~> su
Password:
linuxtest:/home/gertrude # cd /usr/src/linux
linuxtest:/usr/src/linux # make mrproper; make cloneconfig; make modules_prepare
(the ensuing dialogue finishes when this prompt comes back):
linuxtest:/usr/src/linux #

Apply patch to allow installation in kernel 2.6.3x (Credits: MiMe)

VMware Server 2.0.2 doesn’t support kernel 2.6.3x. Ubuntu Geek provides a workaround. I’ve put a copy of the patch here vmware-server.2.0.1_x64-modules-2.6.30.4-fix.tgz for your convenience. That patch was developed for 64 bit Ubuntu. It works equally well with both 32 and 64 bit versions of openSUSE.

Save the tgz file in a working directory anywhere you like (e.g. I created a folder called patch on my Desktop to work in). Extract the contents and place them in the working directory, they are the patch file vmware-server.2.0.1_x64-modules-2.6.30.4-fix.patch and a shell executable file vmware-server.2.0.1_x64-modules-2.6.30.4-fix.sh. Make sure the .sh file is executable (e.g. right click and select properties → permissions → executable). If you haven’t done this you’ll get a permissions error. Now open a console/terminal and install the patch by running the shell executable as follows:

• change to the working directory: cd /home/gertrude/Desktop/patch
• run su to get root permissions: su
• run the shell executable:
./vmware-server.2.0.1_x64-modules-2.6.30.4-fix.sh

You’ll see a very long dialogue, which will contain many warning messages like this:
/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmci-only/./include/vm_atomic.h:1536:7: warning: “_MSC_VER” is not defined

which you can safely ignore – and will finish with these lines if the patch ran successfully:
Replacing original file vmnet.tar with patched file Replacing original file vmmon.tar with patched file Replacing original file vsock.tar with patched file Replacing original file vmci.tar with patched file Done! etc etc This command should work now, to install the modules: vmware-config.pl -d

The final thing in the patching is to delete the directory binary which you will find at location /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary. Browse there in a superuser file manager and send it to trash or run this command in a console (NB with caution): sudo rm -Rf /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary

Configure VMware

NB: all the steps above must have been completed successfully before you attempt this.

Open a console, enter su to become root and then enter the command: /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl to begin the process.

You will be asked to accept the licence agreement. Press enter and the space bar to scroll through and enter q at the end to quit. At this point the actual configuration starts and in most cases you can accept the defaults.

Error messages: you’ll see many occurences of this error message
/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/./include/vm_atomic.h:1227:7: warning: “_MSC_VER” is not defined

Ignore it because it is just a warning message.

Tip: if you want your “Guest” operating systems to join your LAN, share resources over the LAN (including share with the “Host” Suse machine) and also connect to the Internet through the LAN’s router, then choose “Bridged” for the networking option.

Tip: when asked the question “Please specify the user whom you wish to be the VMware Server administrator”, I chose my username. If you choose root, you will run into permissions problems when you want to change the configuration parameters (like virtual RAM) for a virtual machine.

Tip: If asked “Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for your system?”, then answer “yes”

Tip: If told that there’s a difference between various “gcc” modules and then asked if you want to proceed anyway, you should answer “yes”.

Finally, after entering the software key, you should get this sort of message “The configuration of VMware Server 2.x.y build-zzzzzz for Linux for this running kernel completed successfully” and you can then exit.

Starting Vmware

You can set VMware to start at boot by configuring it as a Service in Yast → System → System Services (Runlevel). Enable vmware in the the “Service” list, leaving the other vmware services alone. In “Expert” mode, vmware is set to runlevels 2, 3 and 5 and the other vmware-related services aren’t set for any runlevels.

You must also stop the four vmware services (that you see in Yast’s System Services [Runlevel]) from running concurrently at boot time. They are supposed to run consecutively. Edit the file /etc/sysconfig/boot and find the line RUN_PARALLEL=“yes”. Change yes to no. That will cause the startup scripts to run consecutively.

However if you don’t want VMware perpetually on as a service, then do not set any runlevels for VMware scripts as in the paragraphs above. Instead you can start it when you need it with this command in a console:
sudo /etc/init.d/vmware start

Opening the VMware Control Panel (Console)

You create, start and control your virtual machines in a console that displays in a web browser. In late 2008 I could only get the console to work in Firefox. Now, in April 09 it works OK for me in Firefox, Konqueror, Seamonkey & IE6_4_Linux. Enter either of these addresses into your browser’s address bar: http://127.0.0.1:8222 or the secure address https://127.0.0.1:8333. Log in and follow the bouncing ball.

If you receive a message in Firefox 3.x telling you that the Remote Control Plugin is not installed and advising you to download it on a link titled “Install Plugin”, just click and follow the bouncing ball to install the plugin.

Disk Space

Don’t forget that a virtual hard drive will be created for each virtual machine that you create. Make provisions before you create the machines or you could fill up a partition unexpectedly. I installed Windows 2000 Pro for everyday use because one doesn’t have to go through that incredibly irritating Microsoft activation nonsense with Win2K. Pop an install CD in the drive and have a good one!

USB Support

If your USB devices don’t present themselves in the drop-down list at the top of the Management Console in the web browser, you can activate USB support as follows:

* • Select your VM in the Management Console and check under the Summary Tab that a USB Controller has been installed. If not, then on the right panel locate the list headed Commands, activate Add Hardware and select USB Controller.
* • Mount the USB file system with parameter auto with this line in fstab:
  usbfs     /proc/bus/usb     usbfs     auto     0     0
  [requires reboot to activate]
* • Make sure VMware Tools is installed on your running Guest operating system.
* • Each Guest O/S has its virtual configuration storage, including the virtual hardware config file with extension .vmx. Ensure that .vmx file contains this line:
  usb.present = "TRUE"
* • View and activate/deactivate your USB devices in the drop-down list under the usb icon at the top of the Management Console in the web browser.

Mouse Pointer Issues

If your mouse is behaving erratically in the web browser console, as if intoxicated, then modify your environment parameters to sober it up. Open the file profile.local located at /etc/profile.local in a superuser text editor and insert this line:
export VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK=yes

The fix will become effective next time you boot. Here’s more on that. [Tip: don’t use the file /etc/profile, it’s transient. The file boot.local is permanent].

Finished: Yahoo

Credits: Thanks to MiMe for outlining the patching method to me. Thanks to MB / bearymore for insight re mouse issues. And to Mattias O for causing me to look closely at 32 bit installs.

Asus Eee PC 1001P

@malcolm: Just to let you know that your xrdp rpms that you built for 11.2 – they also work in 11.3 if I team them with the x11-server-rdp and x11-server-dmx RPMs from openSUSE 11.1, to make a very nice working version of xrdp server in openSUSE 11.3. I wrote it up here: Windows Linux RDP Remote Desktop Connections using openSUSE as Client or Server (terminal server)

Hi
Did you rebuild the 11.1 rpm’s on 11.3 or just install the 11.1 versions?

We used the 11.1 RPMs in 11.2, so I wondered if stretching it to 11.3 could work. I held my breath, added the 11.1 RPMs, clicked apply and looked the other way – when I looked back all was well. Is there a better way?

Hi
Well I’ve looked at them, just trying to build against 11.3 but there are some python library issues (location). If it’s 32bit, it should be fine, 64bit I’m not sure. What are you using?

I’m using 64, how’s that for luck, tested OK in Gnome & KDE4 in 11.3 64 bit. But I haven’t tried 32 bit. So I’ll install 32/11.3 over the top of a test 64/11.3 I have, and see what happens for 32 bit, looking promising so far.