Raw Therapee soewhere in sight for Suse?

Hi all.

I am currently looking for high quality RAW-Image converters and I happened to stumble across RAWTherapee. This is by far one of the best software out there and I was wondering whether this is on the agenda for integration into the standard Opensuse distribution?
It is even more imporant as they mentioned to support batch converting by late this summer.

Kind regards,
Martin

go to: Download RT v2.3
way down & just before disclaimer is Linux version download it
click on the targz file and copy RawTherapee2.4m1 folder to /home/yourname
then:

jim@MF570:~> cd /home/jim/RawTherapee2.4m1
jim@MF570:~/RawTherapee2.4m1> ./rt

and I get

processing file ./profiles/neutral.pp2...
processing file ./profiles/crisp.pp2...
processing file ./profiles/default.pp2...
//.pulse-cookie

Bingo it’s up;)

Well, OK then.

Do I get it right that software that runs out of any given dirctory with (or without) any dependencies regarding other libs will not be included in a standard repo?
So I will never be able to benefit from the advantages of a package-management in these cases (like centralised distribution of security-patches, exporting software-list for automated setup of new installations…)?.
There are downloads out there for OOo in rpm as well. Why the heck is it included in the Opensuse-Repo?

regards,
Martin

RawTherapy is not free software, you will never find it on openSUSE repositories. Try ufraw instead, or have a look to the new app for kde4 called “darkroom”:
cberger.net : Darkroom

Hmm.

At least there is a Non-OSS Repo as well. And there eventually WAS Software on the Suse-DVD that was not “Free”. Like Moneyplex. Or one of the CAD-Suites that only came as demo.
I can not see any difference compared to RAW Therapee, that - when I download and unpack it - runs free of charge.

Regards, Martin

This is the classical “free as in free speech vs. free as in free beer” case: you can use rawtherapy free of charge but this doesn’t mean that it is free software.
IMO, ufraw is by far better than rawtherapy: its denoising tools are neat and the whole app is really well designed, plenty of powerful tools. It is difficult to believe that ufraw is a gtk app… :stuck_out_tongue:

All I wanted to say is that Opensuse has shipped non-free Applications before. Therefor “This is not FREE software” is not nearly an argument to not include it in the Non-OSS-repo, is it?

Dears,

RawTherapee is under GPL now: RawTherapee 3.0 alpha 1 and license changes

And it is really much better than other software.

RawTherapeee doesn’t work in 11.3:

> ./rtstart
terminate called after throwing an instance of ‘Gdk::PixbufError’

I get the same error with RT 2.4.1 and 3.0 alpha 1. Google says that using libpng14 may cause this, but I also have libpng12 installed.

I managed to install a new build of 3.0.

I tried to compile it myself, but cmake crashes with the following error:

CMake Error: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER not set, after EnableLanguage
CMake Error: Internal CMake error, TryCompile configure of cmake failed
-- Performing Test OpenMP_FLAG_DETECTED - Failed
-- Could NOT find OpenMP  (missing:  OpenMP_CXX_FLAGS)

I found a build for Ubuntu here (you may want to look for a newer build here).
To get this to work on openSUSE 11.3 I had to:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4