Random system freeze outs = My biggest issue

Yes but I should not need the drivers, as Kwin effects work.
If this was a driver issue no effects would work, but effects do work just not compiz.
There is nothing here telling me the issue, as I said on other distros compiz works just fine, no weird drivers needed or anything.
If there was a driver needed you would have thought I would have had to use it by now, but if kwin effects work then compiz must work also…

Maybe if I start over by installing the Gnome version of Opensuse but seems a lot to do just to get something so simple working.

Did you try my advice about the backend?

not yet, though I will try in a little bit.
Busy day for me lol!

Edit:
Nope, all is as you suggested.

Well, my deepest apologies for not being able to help you. If no effects are working I would try to manually reinstall the compiz-fusion-plugins package and emerald from Yast. Alas, it really shouldn’t be this hard to get compiz working. So once again I’m terribly sorry that you’ve been having this much of a struggle with it.

Best of Luck,

Ian

Hey,

Thanks for the input, but you didn’t tell the OP what to replace it with, and also he’s already tried this out as I have already instructed him to do it on the page before Random system freeze outs = My biggest issue - Page 2 - openSUSE Forums

It actually looks like you just copied and pasted what I said. Same capitalization and punctuation, just forgot the rest of it :wink:

Take care,

Ian

Erm

@ijbreakey

You know that you most likely answered a spammer/bot here?

Have a look at his other “posts”, especially at the changing names in his “Regards $FOO” and the advertising nature of “his” signature.

Almost forgot.

TaraIkeda,

If you’re not too fed up with the whole Compiz-Fusion problem (been there done that, decided to use kwin for a brief period before I researched and found the stuff I’ve been having you try), you could always try the old repository for compiz for version 0.7.8. Here’s the repo Index of /repositories/X11:/XGL/openSUSE_11.1

Just go into that and choose either compiz-kde.ymp or compiz-gnome.ymp and it will install compiz for you.

Once again make sure to delete any repositories added by the compiz you already have installed and remove all compiz packages, then use the repository described above. If it doesn’t work right off the bat, make sure to try all the steps mentioned before.

Here’s my actual thread from when I noticed the one-click installers had been changed New Compiz Repositories - openSUSE Forums

Good Luck,

Ian

@ Akoellh

No I didn’t notice that haha. I’ve been up all night doing work. It’s 5AM here and I haven’t gotten any sleep so I’m pretty wiped out. Just thought I’d check in and saw a response. Thanks for pointing that out :wink:

Take care,

Ian

Well I got compiz working now, and so far Gnome is far more stable then KDE and no major crashes that I got using KDE.
So my problem was indeed KDE4.

Glad you got it working! Although it’s a shame you couldn’t get it working for KDE4 :\

Hope the rest of the ride is smoother :wink:

Ian

Hi,
I’ve the same problem, when I’m using Firefox 3.0.9 and then now 3.0.10 in openSUSE 11.1 (with KDE 4.1.3), my system goes totally frozen. Nothing more works, except mouse poiter.
Please help me!

Nio