Quick question on using the nouveau video driver versus the Nvidia G06 package

I have a general question on remaining with the nouveau video driver in the kernel versus going to the Nvidia G06 package

inxi -G shows
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] driver: nouveau v: kernel
Device-2: Logitech CrystalCam type: USB driver: snd-usb-audio,uvcvideo
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.5 driver: X:
loaded: nouveau unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa dri: nouveau gpu: nouveau
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
API: OpenGL v: 4.3 Mesa 22.3.5 renderer: NV106

I tried to switch over, but ran into problems with the UEFI motherboard on the HP Z420 workstation and my inability to update the key in the UEFI bios. It is my understanding that using YAST2 would autoupdate the UEFI automatically, but this didn’t happen. I had a very painful time restoring my disk partition from backup to recover a working video screen.

Question: Is it worthwhile to switch to the Nvidia G06 package, or just continue with nouveau? I don’t think I am missing anything am I? I just don’t want to repeat an episode with some kernel modules locked out due to UEFI signature issues.

Thanks for your comments.

@Randall That card is too old for G06, the G05 would be the one, but I believe it has issues with the current Tumbleweed kernel.

Inxi -Gaz would show the period when the 710 would have been made, and the expected date that NVidia proprietary driver support can be expected to expire.

The process is clearly described here:
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers

1. You need the G05 driver
  2. you need to enroll the keys for secureboot as described in the SDB above

To all:

I think there is confusion as to the correct version of the Nvidia driver for the GEForce 710 video card.

Here’s what [SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE Wiki] states:

Note: Specific video cards are mapped to the following naming convention listed below. You will need this information when you are ready to install via commandline/zypper.

G03 = driver v340 = legacy driver for GT8xxx/9xxx devices (via a community user, see below)
G04 = driver v390 = legacy driver for GTX4xx/5xx Fermi devices
G05 = driver v470 = driver for GeForce 600 series
G06 = driver for GeForce 700 series (Kepler) and up (Maxwell, Pascal...)

So what information is correct?

On the nvidia site, the information is:
Screenshot_20230928_114243
and
Screenshot_20230928_114342
so their recommended version is 470.199.2, which I am running on my GT710.

After installing the G06 version, things did NOT work right, so I uninstalled that package and installed the G05 version WHICH matches the Nvidia proprietary v 470.199.02 and after installing the UEFI signature via the MOK utility, my system came up perfectly and the Nvidia gui works as expected.

THERE IS PROBLEM with https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers information, the GEForce 700 series apparently needs the G05 package NOT the G06 package, at least for the GE Force 710 card.

The documentation needs to be corrected. Personally to me, it is frustrating when I follow the instructions and the information is incorrect!

Thank you to all who replied. My question has been answered and I am currently happy with the Nvidia driver installed. Appreciate the help.

@Randall Yes, the 710 AFAIK is Maxwell, not Kepler which is only some of the 700 series…

This is wiki. You can edit it if it is incorrect. I believe it is using the same user/password as here.

Thanks for the webpage, it helped me past the UEFI password problem upon reboot, I was using an incorrect password for the MOK enrollment session.

Frankly the whole Nvidia card naming is really confusing, I’m not surprised somebody at SUSE mixed something up.

Is it already corrected or has it been like that before? As far as I can see it says that the GeForce 700 series with Kepler architecture (that includes the GT710) needs the G05 and starting from Maxwell (e.g. GTX750) it needs G06.

I corrected this part over a week ago…

1 Like