Questions from a total Linux newbie.

Guys,

I just managed to install Suse 11.0 (after a few hours wrestling with the error 18 loading grub)
But I must say I am delighted with this new OS.
I am quite experienced with windows XP, but here I have some questions I can’t solve.
1)The window screens are too big for the my Philips 220VW monitor(22").There is always a small but annoying part on the right side falling off.My video card: Nvidea GForce4 MX460.I Tried with SAX2, but it did not keep my changes…even after reboot.
2) I realized afterwards that when i installed Suse I provided a wrong password, so I changed it,but now after I changed it again, Sometimes I have to provide the old password, sometimes the new one.How does this work?
3)Suse is incredibly good in recognizing my scanner, printer etc…, but for my scanner I have no good program for scanning documents, can someone advize me?
4)In windows I had Microsoft Outlook as email client.I tried in windows Thunderbird, but was not a real fan of it.Are there some alternatives?
5)What to use as alternative for Windows Messenger?
Iknow a lot of these questions sound rather stupid, but as I said, I am totally new here, so if there was somenone who could help me out with this, I would be increibly grateful…

Thanks in advance.

Nick55

1. Have you tried adjusting the monitor? Might be the simplest solution.

2. You may have changed only your user password and not the root one. Keep a note of when you have to use the old password. If in root-only situations, like using YaST, then that’s the one you have to change.

3. Alternatives include Kmail, Evolution, Sylpheed. No experience with those. Try it and see.

4. Pidgin, a multi-protocol IM client.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

In reverse order, since I only know a couple:

1. Pidgin is better than messenger… and it is probably installed
    already. Alt+F2, then type ‘pidgin’.

2. Outlook can probably be best replaced by Evolution. I believe it is
    part of Gnome (vs. KDE) but you can run it in either Gnome/KDE as long
    as it is installed.

3. Not sure

4. Strange indeed… I’ve never seen a password not stick properly
    unless I was authenticating to something outside my local system like
    LDAP, active directory, etc.

5. Not sure.

Good luck.

Nick55 wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I just managed to install Suse 11.0 (after a few hours wrestling with
> the error 18 loading grub)
> But I must say I am delighted with this new OS.
> I am quite experienced with windows XP, but here I have some questions
> I can’t solve.
> 1)The window screens are too big for the my Philips 220VW
> monitor(22").There is always a small but annoying part on the right side
> falling off.My video card: Nvidea GForce4 MX460.I Tried with SAX2, but
> it did not keep my changes…even after reboot.
> 2) I realized afterwards that when i installed Suse I provided a wrong
> password, so I changed it,but now after I changed it again, Sometimes I
> have to provide the old password, sometimes the new one.How does this
> work?
> 3)Suse is incredibly good in recognizing my scanner, printer etc…, but
> for my scanner I have no good program for scanning documents, can
> someone advize me?
> 4)In windows I had Microsoft Outlook as email client.I tried in windows
> Thunderbird, but was not a real fan of it.Are there some alternatives?
> 5)What to use as alternative for Windows Messenger?
> Iknow a lot of these questions sound rather stupid, but as I said, I am
> totally new here, so if there was somenone who could help me out with
> this, I would be increibly grateful…
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Nick55
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIvy5g3s42bA80+9kRAi1HAKCCqso3Z15iwHE7xXzxNfgtIi60mgCfYkoh
Y1G+t7srzurCyIhIQlvN7yk=
=Mi3s
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Hi
as far as the monitor and password im not sure about
if your useing kde for the scanner theres kooka
for email theres kmail for kde evolution in gnome
good windows messenger theres a few of them amsn and kopete

hopefully somebody smarter than me will answer the others lol

Guys,

Already a great thx for all your posts, I am trying it out.
The prblem with the monitor and messenger is already solved thx to you all.

Many many thanks.

Nick55

Fundamentally, even the most basic Linux system will likely have two user accounts and possibly two passwords. One user will be the administrator’s account, where the user name must be “root”. There will be a password associated with that account. Root (the administrator) has tremendous capabilities / permissions, to the point of it being down right dangerous to run Linux as user “root”. One can completely destroy their system when running as “root”. Also, if someone were to hack into your system when you are running as “root”, they in turn can do very very damaging things to your system, from making it totally unrecoverable, to hiding something obscure that you may never find (such as a clever root kit).

Hence one must use root permissions sparingly and as little as possible.

The other user is the normal user account that one has. One can have many normal user accounts. For example on my PC I have accounts for user root, oldcpu, and oldcpus-wife. On my mother’s PC, I have accounts for user root, oldcpus-mother, oldcpus-wife and oldcpu. Each user will have their own password, in addition to their own user name.

The permissions and capabilities of a regular user are restricted, for both safety and security reasons. When it becomes necessary to perform an activity that can break one’s account, typically one has to change to root permissions, enter the root password, and then do the necessary activity, and as soon as the activity is done, either close the application that required a root password, or get rid of root permissions by some other means.

With a bit of experience, this becomes second nature, and moderate-to-experienced users do not think twice about this. But it tends to drive newbies “up the wall”. :slight_smile:

Also, its far easier for a knowledgeable user to hack in your PC (via the Internet) if you are constantly running as user root (and then they can do lots of damage to your PC, have it do 'bot type activities, infect other PCs in your LAN, etc … ) than it is if you run as a regular user (which is MUCH more secure).

Commencing with openSUSE-11.0, Novell changed it for single user systems, such that one’s regular user password and the root password are the same. I do not like this, and on my PC I always have different passwords for both. If you went and changed the regular user password, the odds are the root password is still the old password you had. and visa versa … If you went and changed the “root” password, the odds are that your regular user password is the old password.

I hope that clarifies this.

You may wish to take a look at some basic openSUSE Linux concepts:
Concepts - openSUSE

Good luck!