Questions from a new User evaluating OpenSuSe

Seasons greetings,

What I’m looking to do:
I’m looking to evaluate OpenSuSe to determine if the distro would be a good fit for me as a Linux Desktop OS for general purpose computing use and for Linux gaming. For Linux gaming I would be using Steam (native Linux games), Steam Proton (Windows games), and WINE/Lutris (non-Steam windows games). If the general install, update/upgrade, and and install of packages goes well in a VM, then the OS would be installed direct to hardware on a separate hard drive from a Windows 10 Pro installation. This would result in a dual boot scenario.

Background Info:
I experimented with OpenSuSe back in the 90s (CDs/DVDs inside the back cover of a thick book). However, after 20+ years of not interacting with OpenSuSe I’m back to new user status. I have some experience with other distros (Ubuntu, LinuxMint, Manjaro).

My hardware:
CPU = Ryzen 7 5800x
RAM = 32GB (G.Skill DDR4-3200)
Mobo = Asus RoG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi
Graphics Card = Asus TUF RX 6800XT
Display = Dell S2721DGF 27" 165Hz
Keyboard = G.Skill KM780 MX Keyboard (gaming/programmable)
Mouse = Xtrfy M42 wired
Network = Gigabit wired Ethernet and WiFi 5/6 are on the motherboard.

Questions:

• I downloaded Leap v15.4 and Tumbleweed Snapshot 12-28-2022. When can I get prior versions of OpenSuSe? I want to install the prior versions and go through the upgrade process. This is to become familiar with the upgrade process.

• Does OpenSuSe come with CODECS pre-installed? If not, where would I go to get them and how would they be installed?

• What backup tools/applications are available are any installed by default?

• Do the OpenSuSe repositories have up-to-date Steam, WINE, and Lutris packages?

• What kernels are available and supported with the current release of OpenSuSe?

• Do the repositories have the up-to-date Mesa, Vulkan, and AMD GPU packages?

• Does OpenSuSe use Grub and Systemd?.. and is Grub the default boot loader?

• What versions of KDE is available during the installation?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome. Did you do some basic research by yourself already? Because nearly all of your questions can be answered by using google or openSUSE Wiki…

1 Like

One other question:

• Are there command line tools (and online documentation) available to perform updates and upgrades, and the install/removal of kenerls/drivers?

If things going well I might pull out a nVidia GTX graphics card and test with it as well.

Thanks again.

I apologize Hui. I did not do enough research in advance as I should have. It was suggested that I try out SuSe Tumbleweed and I got excited after finding out that SuSe was still alive and going strong. My excitement got the better of me in this instance.

Codecs are in packman

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Installing_codecs_from_Packman_repositories

In making your evaluation you may also want to take into account that the 15.n will likely be the last of the Leap distributions, as SUSE / openSUSE are planning to use ALP. (Tumbleweed, AFAIK, will continue as a rolling release.)

Details of ALP are available here:

You seem to stick unto this way of spelling (not as a typo). It is not only wrong, but it also never was the way any predecessor of openSUSE was named or spelled. Better keep to the same spelling as you will find on all the publications of the distribution, including this very openSUSE forums web site.

1 Like

I downloaded Leap v15.4 and Tumbleweed Snapshot 12-28-2022. When can I get prior versions of OpenSuSe? I want to install the prior versions and go through the upgrade process. This is to become familiar with the upgrade process.

Tumbleweed is a rolling release, no upgrade process is required it just rolls forward with each set of updates, which can bring new version of software along with bug fixes. As such there are no way to download a previous version, but you can download a snapshot, then another in a couple days. It’s pointless though.

You should know that Tumbleweed is generally up-to-date with upstream releases while Leap packages brings stable (aka somewhat old) versions, with regular patches.

With snapper enabled old versions are still available locally. When using the standard configuration they will be deleted after some time. Users may easily backup their system: System Backup with btrfs send / receive - #3 by karlmistelberger