QGIS does not launch after new installation on Leap 15.2

I ha have a new installation of Leap 15.2 and tried to install the latest version of QGIS (3.18.2).

However, it will not launch. If starting it from the console by entering ‘qgis’ I get this error message:
qgis: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libqgis_core.so.3.18.2: undefined symbol: GEOSCoordSeq_setXY_r

This looks like a library incompatibility in the package. Has anyone tips to overcome this?

I tried installing with both Yast and zypper. The package appears to bo quite recently compiled, April 25, as shown by the technical info in Yast

Ko van Huissteden

That is remarkable, recently there was an issue that did occur both with QGIS 3.16 and 3.18 on Open Suse Leap 15.2, x86 64 bit so for @ehjsuse QGIS was working.

QGIS Python error “RuntimeError: Cannot find any suitable spatialite module”

Also no problem for me running QGIS on Tumbleweed.

The problem looks a bit like this problem and checking what I have installed:

> sudo zypper se geos
S | Name                    | Summary                                     | Type
--+-------------------------+---------------------------------------------+-----------
  | geos                    | Geometry Engine - Open Source               | srcpackage
  | geos-debuginfo          | Debug information for package geos          | package
  | geos-debugsource        | Debug sources for package geos              | package
  | geos-devel              | Development files for GEOS                  | package
i | libgeos-3_9_1           | Geometry Engine library                     | package
  | libgeos-3_9_1-debuginfo | Debug information for package libgeos-3_9_1 | package
i | libgeos_c1              | C language interface for the GEOS library   | package
  | libgeos_c1-debuginfo    | Debug information for package libgeos_c1    | package

What is this last command giving for you?

This is what I get after running the command:
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…

Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…

S  | Name                    | Summary                                     | Type
---+-------------------------+---------------------------------------------+-----------
   | geos                    | Geometry Engine - Open Source               | srcpackage
   | geos-debuginfo          | Debug information for package geos          | package
   | geos-debugsource        | Debug sources for package geos              | package
   | geos-devel              | Development files for GEOS                  | package
i+ | libgeos-3_6_2           | Geometry Engine library                     | package
   | libgeos-3_9_1           | Geometry Engine library                     | package
   | libgeos-3_9_1-debuginfo | Debug information for package libgeos-3_9_1 | package
i+ | libgeos_c1              | C language interface for the GEOS library   | package
   | libgeos_c1-debuginfo    | Debug information for package libgeos_c1    | package
   | python2-geos            | Python bindings for Geometry Engine         | package
   | ruby-geos               | Ruby bindings for Geometry Engine           | package

Looks like geos is ok, libgeos-3_6_2 is probably left over from an attempt to to install the QGIS LTR version

Problems solved! The link to the problem with GEOSCoordSeq_getXY was helpful.

I checked with Yast which GEOS version was actually installed, it proved to be 3.6. I replaced this with 3.9, and QGIS starts fine.

Thanks a lot for the tips!

qgis is in the GEO Repo.
Do you dup to this Repo?

After dup to the Geos Repo all is fine here.

No I didn’t, how do I do this?

In Yast----Software Installation goto the Repository Tab and klick on the GEO Repository------- switching all packages to the ones from this Repository

Or:

zypper dup --allow-vendor-change --from Reponame or URL or Number(see zypper lr -d)