QA issues

I am wondering if I am alone in having these issues

I have had trouble getting a Tumbleweed ISO that installs properly. Over a reasonable period of time every ISO I have downloaded has failed to install usably on two separate Dell laptops.

On both I have been left with a flashing login prompt.

Installing LEAP 42.3 was flawless

Today, on another machine “updater” informed me that I had 437 updates, after which I have a keyboard the is now US instead of UK, I have lost “system settings” in the KDE menu item “System” and any root access including through Konsole. YaST is currently useless.

If “updater” doesn’t patch these problems somehow, and soon, I will need to rebuild the machine.

Is my experience unique, please?

Hi Gavin,

I will see if I can help with this, although, no guarantees to such a complex series of issues.

1. I have been running Tumbleweed on an ASUS laptop [N76VZ] for 4 years now, with no “system” screw-ups… [Lot’s of user screws ups, but I keep on experimenting with the distro, so expected, really]

2. My original dvd-rom iso, from 4 years ago will install… BUT BIG CAVEAT!!! Tumbleweed is a rolling release, which means that depending upon the time of the ISO being download,
    either running updater or “zypper up” command at the CLI prompt, will bring a “huge” download, so when I feel like doing another build, I generally download the latest ISO.

3. “left with a flashing login prompt.” … [Try booting with recovery mode option in grub menu, under "Advanced Options, if this is successful, reboot, and test “normal” selection from grub menu]

4. “keyboard the is now US instead of UK, I have lost “system settings” in the KDE menu item “System” and any root access including through Konsole. YaST is currently useless.” … [These problems, taken together, I would not think relates to Tumbleweed, per se, but more likely corrupted configuration files]

Hi Gavin,

I will see if I can help with this, although, no guarantees to such a complex series of issues.

1. I have been running Tumbleweed on an ASUS laptop [N76VZ] for 4 years now, with no “system” screw-ups… [Lot’s of user screws ups, but I keep on experimenting with the distro, so expected, really]

2. My original dvd-rom iso, from 4 years ago will install… BUT BIG CAVEAT!!! Tumbleweed is a rolling release, which means that depending upon the time of the ISO being download,
    either running updater or “zypper up” command at the CLI prompt, will bring a “huge” download, so when I feel like doing another build, I generally download the latest ISO.

3. “left with a flashing login prompt.” … [Try booting with recovery mode option in grub menu, under "Advanced Options, if this is successful, reboot, and test “normal” selection from grub menu]

4. “keyboard the is now US instead of UK, I have lost “system settings” in the KDE menu item “System” and any root access including through Konsole. YaST is currently useless.” … [These problems, taken together, I would not think relates to Tumbleweed, per se, but more likely corrupted configuration files]

[/QUOTE]
    Completion of REPLY
    4i. ctrl-alt-F1 [Takes you to a console login screen]. Try login as root, else login as user
    4ii. if successful as root edit [nano, vi, etc] /etc/vconsole.conf : change keyboard=us to keyboard=uk… else sudo the edit command/
    4iii. Check repositories [CLI: zypper lr -d]
    4iv. If repositories seem OK, force install of packages for YasT, Konsole, etc with CLI: zypper <name of package/pattern> -f.

cheers,

Paul

Thank you

…]I generally download the latest ISO.

This is what I have been doing. (I’m lucky with my bandwidth)

1. “left with a flashing login prompt.” … [Try booting with recovery mode option in grub menu, under "Advanced Options, if this is successful, reboot, and test “normal” selection from grub menu]

I’ll give that a try, thank you

1. “keyboard the is now US instead of UK, I have lost “system settings” in the KDE menu item “System” and any root access including through Konsole. YaST is currently useless.” … [These problems, taken together, I would not think relates to Tumbleweed, per se, but more likely corrupted configuration files]

I’m not so sure

(BTW the menu item should have been KDE menu -> “settings” - > system settings

after an update, the menu items disappeared, it’s not that IU couldn’t access them, except for YaST which failed silently

It doesn’t seem like a config files issue unless there are more config files than I know about (well, there are, but you know what I mean) rather a corrupted KDE

You have used the “updater” in the system tray? Wrong. Tumbleweed NEEDS to be updated by

zypper dup

and nothing else. This is well documented. So :D, this is not a QA issue, but rather a borked system.

I think you are mistaken and I am inclined to believe, unless you can show me a reference, that you are making it up as you go along.

I would also remind you that the unnecessary use of capitalization is the equivalent of shouting in order to win an argument- in netiquette - considered fairly ignorant.

http://netiquette.wikia.com/wiki/Rule_number_2_-_Do_not_use_all_caps

The first problem was caused by downloading a new tumbleweed ISO

As for the second problem unless I (and others upon whom I have inflicted Linux) have been lucky for years across several systems - using updater has always worked for me

Give it a break. I only noticed one word in all-caps.

The first problem was caused by downloading a new tumbleweed ISO

Not clear. Was the problem from downloading, from upgrading using that iso, or from a clean install using that iso? (I’ll note that one word of yours was in all-caps).

My most recent Tumbleweed install (a clean install) was Oct 27th, and it went very smoothly.

As for the second problem unless I (and others upon whom I have inflicted Linux) have been lucky for years across several systems - using updater has always worked for me

You have been lucky. The updater is fine with other openSUSE release, but it can leave a broken system if used with Tumbleweed. An occasional use of the updater should be okay, as long as “zypper dup” is also used from time to time.

Well, you’re the one reporting QA Issues. Which aren’t there. The only capitalized word was “NEEDS” and yes, there are times I’d like to shout that, since many users even ignore the recently added zypper warning not to user ‘zypper up’. FWIW read Portal:Tumbleweed - openSUSE Wiki and you’ll see that ‘zypper dup’ is the way to go. De devs even went a step further recently, and made the ‘no-allow-vendor-change’ the default for Tumbleweed.
The ‘using updater has always worked for me’ can be ignored since the QA issues you’re reporting indicate that it didn’t,
Furthermore I suggest you leave out private thoughts about people making things up as they go along.

Yeah “zypper dup” is the way. Not sure why the gui updater widget thing is even enabled, or why it doesn’t do the Right Thing.

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 19:26:02 +0000, gerrygavigan wrote:

> I think you are mistaken and I am inclined to believe, unless you can
> show me a reference, that you are making it up as you go along.
>
> I would also remind you that the unnecessary use of capitalization is
> the equivalent of shouting in order to win an argument- in netiquette -
> considered fairly ignorant.

I think it’s also important to remember when addressing the staff, we’re
pretty experienced at what we do here - and it’s not necessary for you to
try to moderate the staff.

Let’s keep it friendly, OK?

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

If you read my original post, I believe you would find it difficult to describe it as unfriendly

If you read my original reply, I believe you would find it difficult to describe it as impolite

If you read the other replies…

e.g., in the backhanded reference to ISO, ISO is an abbreviation, it should be capitalized

e.g., the suggestion that my post wasn’t clear

I have had trouble getting a Tumbleweed ISO that installs properly. Over a reasonable period of time every ISO I have downloaded has failed to install usably on two separate Dell laptops.

I am not sure what is unclear about that

Friendliness is a two-way street.

Regarding Tumbleweed/zypper dup/etc

• the URL provided seems to point to replacing the snapshot
  • I could not see information/warnings regarding updating the installed snapshot
  • I reiterate that I have been using Tumbleweed since its inception and have not experienced any of these problems before, hence my original enquiry
  • I will heed the advice given, thank you

Details my friend details. Basically your said it is broke but not how it was broke. We can not see what you see so tell us

I was very specifically responding to the quoted text. Please don’t tell
the staff how to do their jobs - we all have experience at it.

As for your other issues, I would suggest answering the questions given -
don’t start with the assumption that there are “QA issues” - clearly lots
of people use Tumbleweed, and not everyone is having this issue
(otherwise the forums would’ve blown up with people asking about it).
Troubleshooting requires figuring out what’s different about your setup.

From what I’ve read here it sounds like you’re using the updater applet
to update a Tumbleweed application - as noted by others, that’s not
recommended, and can lead to problems. Using zypper dup is the
recommended way of updating a TW installation - so rather than telling an
experienced member of forum staff (and, as it happens, a member of the
openSUSE board) that they’re “making it up as they go along”, heed the
advice given and work with the people who volunteer to help people on
these forums to resolve it.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C