Pycharm and opensuse 13.2

I am a recent convert to the opensuse (and i am not disappointed) world and I am looking to continue with learning python. I have been using pycharm for about a month or so now and i really like it. But i seem to have run into a problem. In manjaro installing pycharm was very easy through the AUR, but in opensuse installing pycharm seems to be a bit of a hassle. There is no one click install for it and nothing in the repos. the only way that i have found to install pycharm is with a .tar.gz file. I have never had any luck with .tar files, but then again i never really took the time to learn anything about them. Does anyone know of a repo or any way to install pycharm in opensuse 13.2??

Thanks ahead of time.

Steve,
It’s pretty straight forward. If you go to pyCharms website, download the version you want (in my case it was the free Community edition). By default, it downloaded the file to my ‘Downloads’ file. I created a file under my home directory called ‘pyCharm’ and moved the .tar file there. Then followed the installation instructions here:

https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/download/installation_instructions.jsp?os=linux

And that’s it :). I should add that on KDE, it also created a ‘Development’ heading under my Applications menu, not sure about other desktops.

Well. I know what this means… Time to switch back to manjaro. Just kidding. its time to learn how to install from .tar files. this may be a skill that will come in useful.

thank you sparkz_alot.

lol, I’m sure you’ll do fine. Like I said, for this particular program, the folks at pyCharm made it pretty painless. The key part is the “tar xfz pycharm-*.tar.gz”. There are several options to the ‘tar’ command, but I would say, for the majority of cases, the ‘tar xfz filename.tar.gz’ will suffice.

other than pycharm. What are some good IDE’s / editors that have good support for python 3 that can be used? i was looking at leafpad since it comes installed in XFCE. any thoughts?

How about spyder? Lenwolf

do you have any experience with spyder? good? bad?

Lets see, another one is ‘Eric’, a GUI IDE like pyCharm (eric5 on openSuse download’), ‘Kate’ (KDE, advanced text editor), actually any text editor. On Windows, in addition to pyCharm, there’s again Eric, notepad++ and of course Visual Studio (with the Python plugin). Then there are some prebuilt Python distros like Enthoughts Canopy (though I think they are only 2.x) and a couple of others. These are only the ones I’ve tried and to be honest, I keep coming back to pyCharm. Just a personal choice. I would try out a couple and see which is a best ‘fit’ for you. Be careful though, some, like Canopy, if you want to add non-included modules, you will need to upgrade to the paid version. Also make sure they are suitably maintained, though if they are 3.x capable you should be o.k. Have fun

Spyder looks pretty cool, I may have to give that one a try :slight_smile:

oops, does it support Python 3.x?

never mind, just make sure you get v2.3 or newer.

It works, what’s more to say? Sorry for the delayed reply. Lenwolf

On 2014-11-21, lenwolf <lenwolf@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
>> do you have any experience with spyder? good? bad? It works, what’s more to say? Sorry for the delayed reply. Lenwolf

I use Vim rather than any IDE, but my experience with Spyder convinces me it is one of the best Python IDEs,
particularly for scientists. The only problem with it is that it Python console and/or run shell doesn’t initialise
within a native Python shell but it’s own customised one (with numpy is its namespace). Fortunately this can be easily
changed in one of its menus.

Don’t forget grandpa ! http://www.emacswiki.org/PythonProgrammingInEmacs I use emacs with ergoand have not look back since :). For my day to day script mods I use Emacs. For heavier stuff / projects pycharm gets fired up.