Pulseaudio aarch64

Still no analog audio output, only digital. Is there any way to work around this, possibly by not using pulseaudio?

Ahh … could you possibly provide more info on your PC exact hardware / configuration setup? I think not many of us have that hardware. You can do so by running in an Xterm/konsole as a regular user, with PC connected to the internet the command:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh

Select ‘share/upload’ when prompted and then let script run to completion. After its complete, look in xterm/konsole and you will see a URL/web address that you are requested to share with those trying to help. Please post that here.

As for testing without pulse audio, I have no knowledge of your hardware. Typically I would try something like:

pasuspender -- speaker-test -Dplug:surround21:PCH -c6 -t wav -l1

But given I know nothing about your hardware, that could be totally inappropriate. So more information please.

Thanks for the speedy response and concise instructions. The hardware is a Rasperry Pi4 with 2GB memory. It comes with a 3.5mm analog output that functions when booted with the Raspberry Pi OS. So the hardware works. When I play music and open pavucontrol it show a signal going to the HDMI output, but does not give me the option of switching to the analog output.

Your ALSA information is located at http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=22a2cd6d33317a6f686fc89a2f7130e1a82c3c07

pasuspender -- speaker-test -Dplug:surround21:PCH -c6 -t wav -l1

speaker-test 1.2.4

Playback device is plug:surround21:PCH
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 6 channels
WAV file(s)
ALSA lib conf.c:5206:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters PCH
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround21:PCH
Playback open error: -22,Invalid argument

Could you possibly provide more info on your PC exact hardware / configuration setup? You can do so by running in an Xterm/konsole as a regular user, with PC connected to the internet the command:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh 

Select ‘share/upload’ when prompted and then let script run to completion. After its complete, look in xterm/konsole and you will see a URL/web address that you are requested to share with those trying to help. Please post that here.

I did that and the reponse is in my previous post immediately above yours.

Ok, thank, I now see it. A favour to ask - next time please don’t include that output of /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh URL in the code ] / code ] section , as its difficult to spot a URL in there mixed in with the other different information.

Unfortunately the alsa-info-sh script doesn’t tell me much … As you note, it indicates only HDMI is detected:

!!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
!!-----------------------------

0 [vc4hdmi0       ]: vc4-hdmi - vc4-hdmi-0
                      vc4-hdmi-0
 1 [vc4hdmi1       ]: vc4-hdmi - vc4-hdmi-1
                      vc4-hdmi-1

It indicates NO PCI hardware detected with your device

!!PCI Soundcards installed in the system
!!--------------------------------------

I don’t have such a device, so I need to assume it does indeed have a PCI soundcard physical output (for analog sound)?

If it has such a PCI device, one would expect to see an error in the dmesg if it not detected. But further, the dmesg is totally blank, which frankly is surprising to me.

!!ALSA/HDA dmesg
!!--------------

Is this not having dmesg a characteristic of GNU/Linux on a Rasberry PI, or did you decide to go for some minimal install, such that dmesg, or the log it reads, is not run?

Is dmesg installed? What does this command yield?

whereis dmesg

dmesg comes with the app “util-linux” . So what does this command yield?

rpm -q util-linux

If dmesg is installed, and util-linux linux installed, and the dmesg is blank, then with my not having your hardware, I don’t have anything to work on here. So sorry, in that case, I can’t help.

Further to the above, surfing on google for “raspberry PI analog sound linux” I read this is a common problem.

The dmesg gave me no hints, so you may need a sound module that is not loaded. For example https://mike632t.wordpress.com/2013/09/09/enable-analogue-audio-output-raspberry-pi/ claims the snd_bcm2835 module is needed. Of course this is pure speculation on my part. It may be a different raspberry PI.

I don’t know if that is applicable to your raspberry PI, as there are multiple variants of the raspberry PI, I think. If it is applicable, its possible you need a special alsa firmware, or kernel firmware or other firmware that is not installed by default, or needs to be downloaded.

I don’t have this hardware, and not having such, do not have the information to give a more definitive answer at this time. Perhaps if you google on details you have not provided in this thread (such as your specific raspberry version) you may have some hints. Or provide the information here. Honestly - without your hardware I struggle even to ask the right questions.

I note this from the script:

!!All Loaded Modules
!!------------------

bcm2835_dma
bcm2835_wdt
snd
snd_compress
snd_pcm
snd_pcm_dmaengine
snd_soc_core
snd_timer 

There are bcm2835 modules loaded, but not the snd_bcm2835.

I see a bug report on this: https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1177169
Its not clear to me if analogue sound is fixed yet - as the way I read that is analog (jack output) sound was still not working as of Feb-2021. Its past my bed time - perhaps someone else with this hardware can chime in here.

I read the Bugzilla posts. That is correct, no jack output sound. HDMI sound will be fixed in 15.3. Of course I could buy an HDMI sound converter, but I already have cables on my HDMI to VGA converter, a SATA 3.5 drive bay, keyboard, mouse and USB extender. The whole concept of a compact computer case starts to turn sour. It looks like an octopus now. You’ve done more than enough research on this, so please stop and relax. Everything under the Pi OS works and I can live with that. It’s just that I like Leap 15,2 much better and if I want to do something new all the tools are at hand.

Thanks again.

If it were me, I would not give up. Lol !

Its noon here, and I am more awake now, than I was last night - I probably should know better than try to answer posts when I am half asleep.

I note these entries from the referenced now closed bug report (where the HDMI sound was fixed):

• 20-Jan-2021: Sound over the Jack depends on VCHIQ, which is a staging driver and has no support for RPi4 at the moment.
  • 22-Feb-2021: Sound via HDMI for user, but not for root. Jack output still dead.
  • 4-March-2021: The fixes (for HDMI sound) are available in Tumbleweed and in Leap 15.3 (whenever it’s released).

Also, I note the reference bug report is closed - so this issue with sound over the jack may not get fixed, unless a bug report is opened to track it.

The bug report mentioned VCHIQ. I asked myself, what is VCHIQ? I read this is the Kernel to VideoCore communication interface for the BCM2838 family of products (in BCM2835 VCIHQ).

That page has a reference to SND_BCM2835, which if I read that correctly references a 5.11.20 kernel. Your tumbleweed has a 5.12.3-1-default kernel, which is newer. So it puzzles me why you don’t have a snd_bcm2835 kernel module loaded.

If it were me, I would raise a bug report on openSUSE Tumbleweed noting:
(1) Jack sound on the Raspberry PI is not working (but HDMI sound is working)
(2) reference the closed bug report that ONLY fixed HDMI sound
(3) reference the kernelconfig.io page I found, noting it suggests there could be a snd_bcm2835 sound module for the raspberry PI in a 5.11.20 kernel, yet your tumbleweed 5.12.3-1-default kernel did not load such a sound module
(4) ask that the openSUSE packagers look into having that sound module setup to be loaded by their kernel such that you can test jack sound.

But I concede - this sort of effort to get something working, is not what most people want to do. Some of us, like myself at times < gulp > , tend to be a bit masochistic in our desire to get things working. Lol !!

Good luck.