Problem with Vuze?

There must be a problem with Vuze BT client. I had it using openSUSE 11.0 recently and thought by installing a clean 11.2 it would clear up, but it appears to do that same thing, start loading but crashing. Is there a fix for this? Or is there an equally capable BT client most people are using?

Ktorrent is plain, simple and good enough for me. Altho I did find Vuze to be quicker and for some reason DHT is disabled in Ktorrent by default. Think that’s a legal issue.

It’s very stable tho.

biosol wrote:

>
> There must be a problem with Vuze BT client. I had it using openSUSE
> 11.0 recently and thought by installing a clean 11.2 it would clear up,
> but it appears to do that same thing, start loading but crashing. Is
> there a fix for this? Or is there an equally capable BT client most
> people are using?

No problem with Vuze here. I’m on x86-64 using the current Sun Java as the
openJDK combos gave me problems with some apps. Only problem I had was
when I went from 32 to 64 bits and had a problem with a missing library.

Will Honea

Vuze works as does ktorrent. Use ktorrent from Packman if you really must use rubbishy DHT

Are you using openjdk or SUN Java. If you are using openJDK just try uninstalling that and installing SUN Java. That’s has helped people before (Including me :slight_smile: )

Ok, I switched to the Sun Java, and uninstalled and re-installed Vuze, but still the same. Anything else to try?

Are you installing vuze from Packman?

I notice there is no .pm in the file name, so I guess not. How can I force an install from Packman repo?

Follow this guide and it should just happen:
Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide - openSUSE Forums

Notice the repo priorities
and the package switch: ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

Thanks. Tried this but still doesn’t seem to work. Have Sun Java installed and Vuze says the vender is packman although the pm is not in the file name. Don’t know… Will use Ktorrent for now. Anyone solve this?

Start it from a terminal with azureus
report errors

you are not the only one with problems with the 4.2.0.8 version of Vuze from packman repo, this came up in a previous thread a couple weeks ago. Crashed on startup on my machine too, and i re-installed the 4.2.0.3_B21 rpm that i had been using previously since i had no time to troubleshoot the cause. Frankly i’m surprised it works for anyone.

hopefully, caf’s suggestion will give you some insight and you can capture the terminal output and report it to packman if need be.

Hi. I got the exact same problem with 4.2.0.8 on OpenSuse 11.1 (64 bit). I tried with the latest vuze (4.3 from vuze webpage) but still the same problem. Then, I installed 32 bit version of Java-1.6 instead of 64 and now 4.3 works perfectly fine.:slight_smile: So, if you have a 64 bit computer, just give it a try.

I hope it helps.

For those running 64-bit Java and Azureus / Vuze from Packman, take a look here;
Fix: Vuze (Packman x86_64) broken for openSUSE 11.2. - openSUSE Forums

I had problems with Vuze too, and gave up trying to fix it. Another good BT client is the program Transmission, which uses very little in the way of system resources. Works quite well “out of the box.”