I am running opensuse tumbleweed on a desktop PC with an nvidia graphics card. Ever since the transition to the kernel 7.2.x Vulkan has not worked non my PC. Going so far, that testing tools like vkcube or vulkaninfo will segfault. For a while I just stayed on 7.1.x versions of the kernel, but due to the new 595.104.xx drivers being released for tumbleweed this weekend I spent some time today trying to fix this (without much success).
What I know so far: I have a full stack of 595.104.02 Nvidia drivers and my systems finds them and recognizes my graphics card. Vkcube and vkinfo work with llvmpipe. Vkcube and vkinfo segfault with my nvidia graphics card (and the vulkan drivers also dont work in any other kind of context with the nvidia card).
I have tried to diagnose the problem a little further using AI. From debug sessions it turns out that vkcube is crashing in vkGetSwapchainImagesKHR(). Chatgpt interpreted it interpreted the output as the NVIDIA code dereferncing a nullpointer in that function and thus dying of a segfault. (idk if this is uusefull for someone)
Anyways, is there a way to fix Vulkan with the current kernel? If yes, how? Or should I simply rollback to a point with kernel 7.1.x and wait there, because the 7.2.x implementation is hopeless wiith vulkan so far?
I would be grateful for any help or advice.
I understand why you are saying that this is a mess. For some reason the older G06 and G04 packages got left over at some point. Anyways , I removed them now and reinstalled the kmp package. But this changes nothing about the problems I am having with Vulkan.
Thank you very much. That just worked.
I don’t even know what nomodeset does, or why it was turned on in the first place. Since I had no similar problems before upgrading to the 7.2.x series of kernels it must have come with that update. But, deleting it certainly solved the problems I had with Vulkan.