Problem with SATA controller ASM1164

Hi. I have a card with ASM1164 SATA controller in one machine. It happens to me that the drives are inaccessible or data is not loaded or cannot be written to. I tried another distribution (live-usb) to verify or refute the HW problem. It has been running for a few days with no problem. Anyone have any idea what might be missing/wrong?

Distribution: openSUSE Tumbleweed

lspci

01:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1164 Serial ATA AHCI Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])

Card:

Welcome to the forum!

Does lspci see the card? Same question for the other distribution.

If so, please share the output of “lspci -k” of tumbleweed and the other distribution, for me it is showing:

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
        Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device b005
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
        Kernel modules: ahci

Thank you.

lspci -k

Tumbleweed

SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1164 Serial ATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: ZyDAS Technology Corp. Device 2116
        Kernel modules: ahci

Manjaro

SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1164 Serial ATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: ZyDAS Technology Corp. Device 2116

This card acts weird in Tumbleweed and I can’t replicate it. For example, for 3 days everything works properly and then it won’t let me write anything to the disks. I’ll try to catch such a case in dmesg to see if it gives any hints, but it’s odd.

1 Like

So I “lived to see it”. Attached is the dmesg at the time of the incident and after reboot (system in safe mode). Next, lspci -k reported the ahci module loaded and used. After reloading the kernel module ahci there was a message when trying to remount the disk “unavailable superblock”.

If anyone can think of anything, I’d be glad to. To me it looks like the messages when the just dies. But it’s not as I mentioned last time, in another distribution it runs ok and I don’t completely understand…

Thanks in advance for any idea

PS: I can’t paste that much code here, so I’ll use pastebin

dmesg ssh

dmesg local

dmesg after reboot

The ASM1064 and ASM1166 Sata controllers have an incompatibility with Intel 600 series MB and above.
Asmedia has released updated firmware for these cards.
You must use another pc if the card is not detected in 600 mb intel series and above.

Description:

Asmedia ASM-2116/116x Sata 6G Controller Firmware Version NC sous windows:

Info: Please make sure you are using Non-Intel 600series chipset motherboard to update the firmware.

Release note: support Intel 600 series motherboard)

I had problems with ASMedia ASM106x.
After firmware upgrade it works OK.