Problem with internal mic in acer aspire 4736z

I have installed suse 11.1 and have updated the multimedia drivers , still internal mic does not work , and also there is no sound on the headset . External mic and internal speakers of laptop are working.

I may be able to help with the external headset. Internal mics are notoriously difficult to get working with Linux, and I do not think I can help there.

Can you provide more information on your Acer 4736Z laptop’s hardware and software sound configuration? You can do so by posting the output URL from running a diagnostic script that is on your PC.

If using openSUSE-11.1, you can do that, with your PC connected to the internet, by opening a gnome-terminal or a kde konsole and typing “su” (no quotes - enter root password) and then and typing and executing twice :
/usr/sbin/alsa-info.shthe first time you run that script it will ask you to update. Select YES for the update. The second time you run the diagnostic script it will post the output to the alsa web site on the Internet. It will give you the URL of the web site. Please post that URL here. JUST the URL.

Also provide the output of:
rpm -qa | grep alsa
rpm -qa | grep pulse
rpm -q libasound2
uname -a
cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=ceee1584a14529691801cbe1fb5721e90036ed73
alsa-oss-1.0.17-1.37
alsa-driver-kmp-pae-1.0.20.20090520_2.6.27.21_0.1-1.1
alsamixergui-0.9.0rc1-584.132
alsa-tools-1.0.20-4.2
alsa-utils-1.0.20-4.2
alsa-1.0.18-8.7
alsa-plugins-1.0.18-6.12
alsa-devel-1.0.18-8.7
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.18-6.12
alsa-tools-gui-1.0.18-1.13
alsa-firmware-1.0.20-5.1
alsa-tools-devel-1.0.20-4.2

pulseaudio-module-zeroconf-0.9.12-9.6
pulseaudio-module-x11-0.9.12-9.6
libpulse-mainloop-glib0-0.9.12-9.6
pulseaudio-utils-0.9.12-9.6
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth-0.9.12-9.6
pulseaudio-module-lirc-0.9.12-9.6
libpulsecore4-0.9.12-9.6
libxine1-pulse-1.1.15-23.3.3
pulseaudio-esound-compat-0.9.12-9.6
libpulse0-0.9.12-9.6
vlc-aout-pulse-0.9.9a-2.6
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.18-6.12
libpulse-browse0-0.9.12-9.6
pulseaudio-module-jack-0.9.12-9.6
pulseaudio-0.9.12-9.6

libasound2-1.0.18-8.7

Linux linux-ggmt 2.6.27.21-0.1-pae #1 SMP 2009-03-31 14:50:44 +0200 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

options snd-hda-intel model=auto
options snd slots=snd-hda-intel

u1Nb.A_DJhMLZSqC:82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel

one more question , how can i upgrade alsa to 1.0.19 . It seems the problem of internal mic is solved in 1.0.19 .

I looked at that output. I note your PC has an ALC888 hardware audioc codec on openSUSE-11.1 with the 32-bit 2.6.27.21 pae kernel.

I checked the mixer settings on your PC, and I could not spot something obvious there. A question, when you plug the headset in, is your speaker sound muted? This is important to know.

I see you decided to use the model option “auto” in your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file. Did you try any of the others? The list of possible model options for an ALC888 from the 1.0.20 alsa HDA-models.txt file is this:

ALC883/888
==========
  3stack-dig	3-jack with SPDIF I/O
  6stack-dig	6-jack digital with SPDIF I/O
  3stack-6ch    3-jack 6-channel
  3stack-6ch-dig 3-jack 6-channel with SPDIF I/O
  6stack-dig-demo  6-jack digital for Intel demo board
  acer		Acer laptops (Travelmate 3012WTMi, Aspire 5600, etc)
  acer-aspire	Acer Aspire 9810
  acer-aspire-4930g Acer Aspire 4930G
  medion	Medion Laptops
  medion-md2	Medion MD2
  targa-dig	Targa/MSI
  targa-2ch-dig	Targs/MSI with 2-channel
  laptop-eapd   3-jack with SPDIF I/O and EAPD (Clevo M540JE, M550JE)
  lenovo-101e	Lenovo 101E
  lenovo-nb0763	Lenovo NB0763
  lenovo-ms7195-dig Lenovo MS7195
  lenovo-sky	Lenovo Sky
  haier-w66	Haier W66
  3stack-hp	HP machines with 3stack (Lucknow, Samba boards)
  6stack-dell	Dell machines with 6stack (Inspiron 530)
  mitac		Mitac 8252D
  clevo-m720	Clevo M720 laptop series
  fujitsu-pi2515 Fujitsu AMILO Pi2515
  fujitsu-xa3530 Fujitsu AMILO XA3530
  3stack-6ch-intel Intel DG33* boards
  auto		auto-config reading BIOS (default)

Its possible acer, or acer-aspire, or acer-aspire-4930g will work better than “auto” in your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file. Indeed its possible one that does not say “acer”, such as “3stack-dig” or any of the others may work better than “auto”. Did you try others? To try, just substitute auto for the appropriate option in your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file, and then restart your sound driver with su -c ‘rcalsasound restart’, enter root password when prompted, and restart your mixer and test your sound (headphone).

The script indicates you have a partial update to 1.0.20 of alsa, as is also confirmed by the rpm list you provided. I suppose its partial having only a partial update to 1.0.20 could be causing the problem, … So you could complete the update to 1.0.20. But I suspect the problem is your model option (noted above)

You already have 1.0.20 implemented partly. To provide a complete implementation, open a gnome terminal or a kde konsole and with your PC connected to the internet in that konsole/terminal type “su” (no quotes - enter root password) and then copy and paste the following lines, one at a time, executing them in sequence:

zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/multimedia:/audio/openSUSE_11.1/ multimedia
zypper install alsa-utils alsa-plugins alsa-tools-devel alsa-plugins-pulse alsa-tools alsa-tools-gui alsa-oss
zypper rr multimedia
zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/multimedia:/audio:/KMP/openSUSE_11.1_Update/ multimedia
zypper install alsa-driver-kmp-pae
zypper rr multimedia

Then restart your PC and test your sound, headphones, mic …

Its possible the complete 1.0.20 alsa will have a better auto probe than the incomplete 1.0.18/1.0.20 that you have installed now, and hence ‘auto’ or the auto probe with no option specified in the /etc/modprobe.d/sound will work better. And its also possible you will need to try each model option, one at a time.

I hope you have success. It took me a long time to type the above.

Thanks fo your detailed reply .

I checked the mixer settings on your PC, and I could not spot something obvious there. A question, when you plug the headset in, is your speaker sound muted? This is important to know.

No as i was plugging in the headset the internal speakers were not getting disabled .

I see you decided to use the model option “auto” in your /etc/modprobe.d/sound file. Did you try any of the others? The list of possible model options for an ALC888 from the 1.0.20 alsa HDA-models.txt file is this:

ALC883/888

yes i tried with all the model options and in few the voice was coming on speakers not only from internal speakers but from mic port as well . On some the internal speakers were not working so i settled for Auto . Now the internal speakers are working . in Front Mic i can pluggin external MIC and that is working .

But internal MIC which to me should be through some digital input option as it is with internal webcam is causing trouble.

The script indicates you have a partial update to 1.0.20 of alsa, as is also confirmed by the rpm list you provided. I suppose its partial having only a partial update to 1.0.20 could be causing the problem, … So you could complete the update to 1.0.20. But I suspect the problem is your model option (noted above)

I have upgraded the above . But internal MIC still does not work for headset i will check in and confirm as i was not able to test it .

I hope you have success. It took me a long time to type the above.

Thanks for all your help . The base package of alsa is still 1.0.18 though the addon modules have gone to 1.0.20 (alsa-1.0.18-8.7) . Should this also not go to 1.0.20?

Did you keep specific notes as to which work better than others? “auto” means it applies an auto probe. If the “auto probe” is not working, then “auto” may not be the best setting … Also, with your having done some updates, the behaviour now may be different with some of the model options.

As I noted in my first post, I do not think I can help you with your internal mic. Internal mics function poorly under Linux.

The headset is what I am curious about.

I don’t know. I would need to see again what alsa rpms you have installed, and also the output of the /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh script.

And on connecting headset internal speakers are not deactivated and also no sound on headset .

OK, I think you need to check the other model options again, other than just “auto”.

If your alsa update was ok, and if your mixer setting (as indicated by the alsa-info.sh script is ok), then my next step will be to refer you to the bug reporting site:
Submitting Bug Reports - openSUSE
Be certain to raise the bug report on component “sound”. The Novell/SuSE-GmbH developer who addresses the bug reports is also an alsa developer, and if anyone can solve your headset problem, they can.

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=b91863b9ff007a0fb4c0a4bcfa70faf3237998e7

model is currently on auto . i tested with all other models also , the status is absolutely same as was before . is there a way to get the settings from windows xp driver as it works properly with windows ?

alsa-tools-devel-1.0.20-4.3
alsamixergui-0.9.0rc1-584.132
alsa-tools-1.0.20-4.3
alsa-utils-1.0.20-5.1
alsa-plugins-1.0.20-4.4
alsa-1.0.18-8.7
alsa-plugins-pulse-1.0.20-4.4
alsa-driver-kmp-pae-1.0.20.20090522_2.6.27.21_0.1-1.1
alsa-devel-1.0.18-8.7
alsa-firmware-1.0.20-5.1
alsa-tools-gui-1.0.20-4.3
alsa-oss-1.0.17-2.6

You could update alsa-devel to the 1.0.20 version (I missed that you had that installed in the zypper command I gave you), but that will not affect your sound. Overall, those versions look correct.

Which is what exactly? What exactly do the acer model options yield for sound, headphone, mic playability ?

Its not so important that you give me that information, but I suspect there is a high probability that the SuSE-GmbH alsa developer will want that.

My logic is this: You have an acer aspire 4736, and you are saying the “acer-aspire” setting does not work, but you provide no detail as to exactly how much of it works and how much does. I believe you will need to be more precise for the SUSE-GmbH / alsa developer, if you wish this solved.

Yes, I know its a royal pain to have to research and document this, but I know of no other way.

NO your windows settings will NOT help you here.

So I recommend you write a bug report.

With model as Acer there are more config options that come up

1. surround
  2. centre
  3. LFE
  4. CD
  5. side
  6. MIC
  7. Beep
    There is no Digital option there , the internal speakers continue to work but internal mike and headset speaker does not work.

with acer-aspire internal speakers stops working .

with auto there are less number of settings i.e the above 7 there is a additional digital capture option .

I was able to break a lot of ice . Went though the ALC888 documentation and found that it has 5 pcm input 2 spdout and 1spdin . so i chose model as 3stack-6ch-dig .

By default 2 ch comes in kmix so i changed that to 6 channel and after that the headset started working . also by putting a tick on mute on second front speaker setting the laptop internal speaker were getting mute .

Though the autosensing of headset is not working but it is still better .