Problem with grub (suse & xp)

Hi there. :slight_smile: (fist: sorry for my bad english; second: sorry for my nooby question - and befor i try some wrong things i find by google/search function i try to explain my prob)

I have a little problem with my grub, i think. And i hope someone can help me.

I installed suse (11.2) 2 weeks ago as a second OS om my pc. I only booted suse since i installed it … grub worked fine and i had the abillity to boot XP all the time but never tried/used it ^^

(there are some partitions on my hdd … primarys are XP, boot, swap and a extended with /(suse) , NTFS(D:) ) …

And now the worst case happend … i wanted to play a game and so i started XP.

Now my grub is gone and all the time i restart my pc starts XP immediately.

Now the question: waht can i do to fix this? I dont want to reinstall hole suse with the netsetup-cd :-/

Thx for ur help and wishing u merry x-mas

EDG

sry, i can only edit 10 mins after posting …

EDIT: Maybe this a important information. I remember there was a “make active” or something simmilar in the grub-menulist-entry(?) … but if this is the prob, why i dont see grub and then xp ? … that prob confuses me … ahhrg … i want back to my suse
Greets EDG

Re-Install Grub Quickly with Parted Magic

On 2010-12-25 21:06, EinerDerGing wrote:
>
> sry, i can only edit 10 mins after posting …
>
> EDIT: Maybe this a important information. I remember there was a “make
> active” or something simmilar in the grub-menulist-entry(?) … but if
> this is the prob, why i dont see grub and then xp ? … that prob
> confuses me … ahhrg … i want back to my suse

I think that you need to make active again the partition where grub is,
which can be made with any partitioner. At least with any good partitioner.
For example, boot the linux dvd/cd, rescue system, “fdisk /dev/wherever”
the HD is, change the active mark to the correct place.

If you want more precise instructions, find and run “findgrub” from “please
try again” - but I don’t have a link to it.

Later, comment out the makeactive entry in grub.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

Yep, that’s what reset the bootflag on the Windows partition and caused the problem you’re having now. All you have to do is to reactivate the partition where Grub stage1 is installed or install Grub in the MBR (1st sector of the disk).

• boot from liveCD or PartedMagic
  • find out in which bootsector grub is installed. According to our description, that would probably be the extented partition (often sda4), but to make sure, type:
su -l 
file -s /dev/sda* | grep -i grub

• Then with fdisk switch the active partition. Assuming xp is on partition 1 and Grub on partition 4, you would do:
su -l
fdisk /dev/sda
Command (m for help): a
Partition number (1-20): 1
Command (m for help): a
Partition number (1-20): 4
Command (m for help): w

• Reboot. Once in openSUSE, as root, edit the file /boot/grub/menu.lst and remove the option makeactive
    from the Windows xp boot entry.

Thx a lot for your quick answer. atm i download the iso and i’ll give replay if/when it worked.

Any suggestions to avoid this problem in future? (ok, except booting xp … from time to time i want to play a bit online xD )

EDIT: Whow, thx, thx, thx … ur all so quick even today … ill try to make the /boot-Partition active and give response.

Greetings
EDG

Just remove the option makeactive and/or (optionally) install Grub in MBR.
The latest findgrub version is here: Looking for Grub and Windows bootloader in all partitions.. This script will tell you for sure where Grub is installed. However the file -s command should do it too in most cases.

• To fix your problem, you more likely don’t have to reinstall Grub, just set the Grub partition active using fdisk.

THX to everyone … it worked.

I took the quick way. i used Acronis Disk Director and set the /boot-Partiton to active … it was the easiest way for me :wink:

Now i try to comment-out the ‘set active’ and try to reboot … and give response if xp still boots or not.

EDG

Post us the result of this from a su - terminal

cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

Here it comes … for me it worked (i know there is a lot of cra_ in that list … but im not sure what it all is … so “never touch running systems” ^^ )

IDK if i added “makeactive” by hand or if it was added by grub … sry but i still learn

linux-thlt:/home/edg # cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Wed Dec  8 21:13:36 CET 2010
# THIS FILE WILL BE PARTIALLY OVERWRITTEN by perl-Bootloader
# Configure custom boot parameters for updated kernels in /etc/sysconfig/bootloader

default 2
timeout 8
##YaST - generic_mbr
gfxmenu (hd0,2)/message
##YaST - activate

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: xen###
title Xen -- openSUSE 11.3 - 2.6.34.7-0.5
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /xen.gz vgamode=0x375 
    module /vmlinuz-2.6.34.7-0.5-xen root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-HDS722516VLAT80_VN643RCDF2GZRE-part5 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-HDS722516VLAT80_VN643RCDF2GZRE-part4 splash=silent quiet showopts vga=0x375
    module /initrd-2.6.34.7-0.5-xen

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title Debug -- openSUSE 11.3 - 2.6.34.7-0.5
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.34.7-0.5-debug root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-HDS722516VLAT80_VN643RCDF2GZRE-part5 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-HDS722516VLAT80_VN643RCDF2GZRE-part4 splash=silent quiet showopts vga=0x375
    initrd /initrd-2.6.34.7-0.5-debug

title Desktop -- openSUSE 11.3 - 2.6.34.7-0.5
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.34.7-0.5-desktop root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-HDS722516VLAT80_VN643RCDF2GZRE-part5 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-HDS722516VLAT80_VN643RCDF2GZRE-part4 splash=silent quiet showopts vga=0x375
    initrd /initrd-2.6.34.7-0.5-desktop

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe -- openSUSE 11.3 - 2.6.34.7-0.5 (desktop)
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.34.7-0.5-desktop root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-HDS722516VLAT80_VN643RCDF2GZRE-part5 showopts apm=off noresume edd=off powersaved=off nohz=off highres=off processor.max_cstate=1 nomodeset x11failsafe vga=0x375
    initrd /initrd-2.6.34.7-0.5-desktop

title openSUSE 11.3 - 2.6.34.7-0.5
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.34.7-0.5-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-HDS722516VLAT80_VN643RCDF2GZRE-part5 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-HDS722516VLAT80_VN643RCDF2GZRE-part4 splash=silent quiet showopts vga=0x375
    initrd /initrd-2.6.34.7-0.5-default

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe -- openSUSE 11.3 - 2.6.34.7-0.5 (default)
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.34.7-0.5-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-HDS722516VLAT80_VN643RCDF2GZRE-part5 showopts apm=off noresume edd=off powersaved=off 
nohz=off highres=off processor.max_cstate=1 nomodeset x11failsafe vga=0x375
    initrd /initrd-2.6.34.7-0.5-default

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows 4###
title Windows XP
    map (hd0) (hd0)
    map (hd0) (hd0)
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
#    makeactive
    chainloader +1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: floppy###
title Diskette
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
linux-thlt:/home/edg # 

I have an other question. should i start a new thread or can u give me a quick answer here?
I have only 100MB for boot and its full. Can i move some ‘large’ *.gz-Files from boot to an other place, update and move them back or can this cause more trouble for me? (ok, it possible CAN … but are there any file i can move safely? Or any link who can help me? thx therefor)

Greetings EDG

The /boot partition doesn’t grow … unless you keep older kernels while updating (which is not the default on openSUSE). But you could remove the xen kernel if you don’t use it (I bet you don’t) to free some space. As root, type :

zypper rm kernel-xen

And watch out what it proposes to deinstall before answering “y”. (i.e do not deinstall other kernels!!!)

well, for that xen-thing i want to free some diskspace. The autoupdater suggests to update the xen-kernel but /boot havent enough diskspace … Is the xen-kernel usefull for a normal user? Do i “need” it?

If you don’t know what it is … then you don’t need it.
No, you don’t need it.

And - since I know what it is about now - I can provide a clear answer to that question: No.