Problem with Broadcom 4313 from lenovo notebook

I have problem with opensuse factory from iso not update from 13.1. In opensuse 13.1 all works very good.
The card is working and detect all wifi networks, but when conect is too too too slow. 1kb/s or 2kb/s. I try all the post im find here and google.

I try to install the firmware with b43-fwcutter.

I try to Blacklist in /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf all the modules b43 bcma cfg80211 mac80211 and activate 1 per 1, and is the same. Packman dont have the broadcom-wl, i dont know why.

I try to compile sta drivers from broadcom and imposible for me.

When im instaling the wireless card works perfect. I think is for the kernel factory has 3.16

Some one can help me?.

Cannot help, as the open source b43 driver does not support the BCM4313:
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43?highlight=(bcm4313)

I try to Blacklist in /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf all the modules b43 bcma cfg80211 mac80211 and activate 1 per 1, and is the same.

You might need more than one of those modules.

Packman dont have the broadcom-wl, i dont know why.

I try to compile sta drivers from broadcom and imposible for me.

Right, they do not compile with the kernel in Factory, that’s why Packman has no packages yet.
Actually they do not compile with 13.1’s kernel even, but Packman has patches to fix that.

When im instaling the wireless card works perfect. I think is for the kernel factory has 3.16

So apparently the brcm80211 driver does work for you, although en:users:drivers:brcm80211 [Linux Wireless] states:

Please note: at least BCM4313 is not fully supported. Some models appears to work (users reported success), but some don’t, and there’s no indication that this is going to change.

Well, I would suggest to remove the “Blacklist in /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf all the modules b43 bcma cfg80211 mac80211”, and any other you might still have, e.g. maybe /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf as a leftover from the Packman broadcom-wl packages.

And then please reboot and post the output of “/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -A3 4313”.

PS:
Btw, you should not add blacklists to /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf IMHO.
This file is provided by the distribution. If you change it manually, it will not get adapted when installing updates any more.
Better create a new file in /etc/modprobe.d/ for your custom things, this also makes it easier to remove them again.

The file name doesn’t really matter, the files get loaded in alphabetical order though.

Thxs for your help i do it all. Delete all the lines i added from 50-blacklist.conf
And the result of

/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -A3 4313

is:

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation Device [14e4:0608]
        Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge
        Kernel modules: bcma

Ok, the bcma module is loaded now.
So it still doesn’t work?

Do you have kernel-firmware installed?
I think this is needed for the brcm80211 driver, and it might be the difference to the installation medium.

The only other option I’m aware of would be to compile the STA driver yourself. But you would need a patch for Kernel 3.16, I don’t know if one exists already.
If you downloaded the latest STA version (6.30.223.248), you could try Ubuntu’s patches:
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/restricted/b/bcmwl/bcmwl_6.30.223.248+bdcom-0ubuntu1.diff.gz
I think they are for Kernel 3.16.

And if you go that road and succeed to compile/install the driver, don’t forget to add the blacklist for the open source modules again.
You can find it here:

But as I said, better create a new file for this than append it to the existing 50-blacklist.conf.

The only patch i found are for 3.15 and for other distributions ubuntu and arch. I have to change the wifi card, allways have problem with this. Which is the best option Intel?

Thanks.

So have you verified that you have “kernel-firmware” installed?
If it works fine during installation, it should work fine after installation as well.
But as you never really told this, how did you actually install? By booting from a Factory installation medium I suppose.

If you installed Factory via zypper dup then you were of course still running 13.1/Kernel 3.11 at that point, so the fact that it worked would of course be totally irrelevant.

I did point you to Ubuntu’s patches in my previous post.
Try them, as Ubuntu Utopic ships with kernel 3.16, they should work with kernel 3.16 obviously.
And the fact that they are for Ubuntu shouldn’t matter. Those are patches for the broadcom sta/wl driver, not for the distribution/kernel. :wink:

I have to change the wifi card, allways have problem with this. Which is the best option Intel?

No idea, but intel should work fine I guess. You might have to install the package “ipw-firmware” in that case though, this is not installed by default I think.
You might have a look at http://wireless.kernel.org to see which chipsets are supported.

I only have two (randomly chosen) and both work absolutely fine out of the box.
A TP-LINK TL-321G (a bit older… :wink: ), and some Netgear, but I cannot look which model right now.

Yes, kernel-firmware is installed from the begining.
I install opensuse factory from a iso.
I think that when im installing factory the program use another kernel 3.11 for example.
I dont know why is so dificult to compile the broadcom wireless.
I have to wait packman compile the source driver. its rigth?

No.
The installer uses the same kernel as is included in the distribution.
As I don’t know which ISO you downloaded exactly, I don’t know the version, but if it’s some recent Factory ISO it has kernel 3.16.x.

I dont know why is so dificult to compile the broadcom wireless.

You’d have to ask Broadcom why they don’t update their driver to work on current kernels.

I have to wait packman compile the source driver. its rigth?

Well, that’s one possibility, yes.

Or compile it yourself, but you need a patch to “fix” it.
Did the Ubuntu patch not work?

PS: Somebody builds the driver in his home: repo and has a version for Factory available as well.
You might try this one:
http://software.opensuse.org/download.html?project=home%3Alinux_salonica&package=broadcom-wl
Add the repo (see the link for how) and install the packages “broadcom-wl” and “broadcom-wl-kmp-xxx” (according to your kernel) like you would with Packman.

uhahhh this works … XDDDD thx men …

On Sun 12 Oct 2014 06:46:02 PM CDT, wolfi323 wrote:

PS: Somebody builds the driver in his home: repo and has a version for
Factory available as well.
You might try this one:
Install package home:linux_salonica / broadcom-wl

Hi
Which is not allowed on OBS due to the license, hence the reason to
build or get it fixed on packman if it’s broken…

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.28-4-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

I have just installed OpenSuSE 13.2 on a laptop which needs the broadcom-wl driver. Wireless doesn’t work, and when I try force-updating the broadcom-wl driver from Packman I get a ‘wl.ko’ which reports ‘disagrees about version of symbol module_layout’ when I try to insmod it.

Does Packman need to update its build of this module for the 13.2 kernel ? I couldn’t see a forum page on the Packman web site which is why I am reporting the issue here.

I can use wireless on my laptop if I boot an old 13.1 kernel.

AFAICS the repo for 13.2 does contain the kernel module built against kernel 3.16.6 from 13.2.

Are you sure you use the correct repo URL?
Sounds like you only have the 13.1 package installed.

zypper lr -d

I couldn’t see a forum page on the Packman web site which is why I am reporting the issue here.

There’s a mailing list:

And a bugtracker:
https://bugs.links2linux.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa

zypper info broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop

Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

Information for package broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop:
------------------------------------------------
Repository: Packman Repository
Name: broadcom-wl-kmp-desktop
Version: 6.30.223.141_k3.16.6_2-3.1
Arch: x86_64
Vendor: http://packman.links2linux.de
Installed: No
Installed Size: 5.0 MiB
Summary: Wireless driver for Broadcom 43xx series of chips
Description: 
  These packages contain Broadcom's IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n hybrid Linux®
  device driver for use with Broadcom's BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4321-,
  and BCM4322-based hardware.

NOTE:           You must read the LICENSE.TXT file  before using this software.

-> Version: 6.30.223.141_k3.16.6_2-3.1 <-