sudo sh netbeans-7.3beta-linux.sh

This results in the following,

Configuring the installer...
Searching for JVM on the system...
Extracting installation data...
Running the installer wizard...
Can`t initialize UI
Running in headless mode
No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.

They attempt to address a similar problem here and it refers me to this page. However, when I enter

/sbin/lspci | grep VGA

I get

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18)

They do not appear to have a driver at that site for that graphics controller.

Any assistance with resolving this problem would be much appreciated.
Peter.

Do not know anything about your Beans, but the error message points to the fact that the program tries to use a GUI window, but there is no DESKTOP set. That could be because you are working from the CLI of the real console (having no desktop running at all). Is that the case?

On 2013-02-20, hcvv <hcvv@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
>
> Do not know anything about your Beans, but the error message points to
> the fact that the program tries to use a GUI window, but there is no
> DESKTOP set. That could be because you are working from the CLI of the
> real console (having no desktop running at all). Is that the case?
>

NetBeans is Java-based application that can installs inside $HOME/ and sh netbeans-etc....sh' will happily install (doesn't need sudo) as long as there is a supported Java Runtime Environment. If sh netbeans-etc…sh’ without sudo
doesn’t work (and yes it should work inside bash), then you need to update your Java environment.

Thank you for your reply. I am using the gnome terminal as a CLI but it is running on a GNOME desktop environment. It seems that is the only way to install from a shell script file but I may be wrong.

Thanks,
Peter.

There are some Netbeans available via Yast, but not sure if those are the ones you need(soo many types of beans, lol). Eventually you can try to search into some private repositories which would allow you to install it via YAST, just some suggestions which can be ignored if you need specific java Netbeans.

Yes. It was the sudo that was causing me problems. I also installed the latest (7 update 15) version of JRE.

Thank you for your help.
Peter.