Problem in putting laptop on Sleep mood openSUSE 12.3 Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6300

Hi, I have HP Probook 4520s and I have openSUSE 12.3[size=5] [size=5]and it’s 32 bits and my problem is with the V[size=5]ideo Card, when I tu[size=5]rn my PC on S[size=5]leep it [size=5]sh[size=5]ows me black screen and it keep[size=5]s on turn[size=5]ing on white screen and then [size=5]off, white screen and then off, white s[size=5]creen and then [size=5]off and it doesn’t stops so what I do is I tu[size=5]rn my [size=5]laptop off from the [size=5]power button cause I have no other way, I [size=5]really want you guys to help me and tell[size=5] me what’s the [size=5]pr[size=5]oblem and how to fix it.
T[size=5]hat[size=5]'s my laptop [size=5]page f[size=5]or more information.

HP ProBook 4520s Notebook PC[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[/size]

Note:
OS V: 32 bits
Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6300

Also, I have Ubuntu and the driver name that works on Ubuntu is: VESA: PARK

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 16:46:03 +0000, AkiroSkullfield wrote:

> Hi, I have HP Probook 4520s and I have openSUSE 12.3 and it’s 32 bits
> and my problem is with the Video Card,
> when I turn my PC on Sleep it shows me black screen and it keeps on
> turning on white screen and then off, white screen and then off, white
> screen and then off and it doesn’t stops so what I do is I turn my
> laptop off from the power button cause I have no other way, I really
> want you guys to help me and tell me what’s the problem and how to fix
> it.
> That’s my laptop page for more information.
>
> ‘HP ProBook 4520s Notebook PC’
> (http://tinyurl.com/d6mpoc9)
>
>
>
> Note:
> OS: openSUSE 12.3 OS V: 32 bits Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6300
>
> Also, I have Ubuntu and the driver name that works on Ubuntu is:
> VESA: PARK

Note to NNTP users - I’m moving this thread to the hardware forum as this
is not a gaming issue.

Will post a follow-up when it’s been moved.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Thread has been moved. (Akiro, it helps if you post in the correct forum as well)

Hi
You have struck this bug;
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=799117

I struck the same issue on my HP ProBook 4525s (my comment #5), you need to upgrade your xf86-video-ati package to 7.1.0 from the Xorg:X11 repository;
Index of /repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_12.3

Just download the rpm for your arch, don’t add the repository.

Malcolm, I just started getting a similar white screen problem on my hp probook 4525s which is pretty new, as I bought it in early 2012, didn’t use it for a year so I’ve only used it for a little over a year. (because I didn’t find a way to shut off the synaptics software that makes the cursor jump away from where you place it, making it take much longer to do anything). The white screen only came up at first if I had been playing videos all day, like on HULU and it was really hot. Then it progressed to come on after only playing videos for an hour or two, Now it comes on immediately, and if I wait for a while, might disappear for about 2 minutes max, then at least I can put it in sleep mode by partially closing the lid, as I set it up so that closing the lid automatically puts it in sleep mode. If I select something like play all of a selection of videos displayed in one video box on YouTube, I can listen to lectures all day, but not see anything and only use keyboard shortcuts to do anything, like close the YouTube page. Even though I have unlimited internet access with my Sprint Sierra 402 aircard, with no data cutoff for $70/month, I could tell how Sprint was trying to limit my access to the internet when I replaced my old Sierra aircard with the upgraded 402 card and their computer aircard techs insisted I had to use the Sprint communication manager software to operate the card and could no longer watch the same shows I’d been watching on HULU, as they could only play for about 1 minute, then buffer for 2 minutes, play for another minute, buffer for 2 minutes and continue exactly like that. I then watched my task manager while video was playing and the sprint software was Constantly taking up 86-46% of the cpu which the video itself needed, so when I stopped using the sprint communication manager and used the Windows Communication Manager instead, the videos played without buffering as before. I believe some unscrupulous tec’s fooling around with some kind of program they’re trying to come up with that enables them to cheat customers out of using the overpriced unlimited, no data cap plan I signed up for in 2006, and now that I stopped using my hdtv for a while, they’ve made a deal with hp to help limit my access, although this is now close to permanent lack of access so they won’t be able to charge if I can’t see anything because of a constant white screen blocking the screen, but they are already dumb as a post if they don’t realize all young people want to be able to get their tv and movies on all their devices via internet, especially 4K video, and all the good countries like in Europe and Japan, New Zealand, etc. have been getting unlimited 100Mbps no data gap internet access which can handle multiple 4K Ultra High Definition, simultaneous streaming at once, on several devices, for around the equivalent of $20 USD/month. I finally set my HP to auto update all it’s software along with Windows auto update about 2 months ago, before this white screen condition started, so shouldn’t it have auto updated it’s drivers by now? However, if that patch or driver update you mentioned to Aki will stop the white screen from popping up to cover my screen so I can again see the screen, how can I apply it if the white screen has jumped from coming on after watching video for and hour or two, to coming on all the time right from the beginning in 1 day? When the white screen comes on it flashes on and off really fast and then stays on. It will be very hard to even restart it, as the last time I had it on, after 5 or 10 minutes, the white screen disappeared for about a minute or two, and I was just barely able to re-start it, before the white screen re-appeared, and it didn’t help anything. I also think it might be that unscrupulous people at HULU may have asked their technicians/ software writers to try new things to limit certain watchers, as the top execs there don’t seem to understand that some people might like to leave favorite tv shows or movies playing while taking care of house cleaning, sewing, writing, etc., and then want to play the show over again and again, because when I do that, I believe, if I don’t start at the very beginning, that I have missed some of the ads for the show. but in actuality, all the ads always play much more often than they state will occur, which I don’t mind, but the execs in charge don’t seem to understand that video via computer is SUPPOSED to be able to be controlled and replayed at will by the user, not like regular tv, if you miss something because you used the washroom during a commercial, you’re out of luck. I get the feeling that most of the top CEO’s in charge of the biggest companies, especially if one of the bigger corporations/mega-monopoly corporations has bought it, has a CEO calling the shots who was a pal of George W. and also got cia quality surveillance equipment they could utilize to let their tutors not only do all their homework, but also tell them the answers to tests while they were taking them with their better-than-Google-glasses and ear pieces, consequently they are dumb as a post as they are completely uneducated in anything other than running big scams to get as much money as possible from government coffers to pay for the building from scratch, of all their new businesses, and etc. So they have assistants do every little thing for them, and make very poor decisions since they don’t even know how to operate most of their own equipment. A page often shows asking to shut off ad blocking as they have detected an ad would not load and play, and that you may be blocked if you don’t turn off ad blocking, but I don’t have ad blocking, and watch way more ads than they say will play, it’s just that they don’t have any software set up to detect if you’ve partially rewound a show and are only seeing ads from the half mark on or something like that. Also, HP laptop computers run very hot which slows them down and can occasionally cause ads not to load, which is always compensated for by playing a lot more ads than they usually do, but they don’t seem to be able to have any software set up to record&report that info if you rewind at all, so maybe some tech is trying to cut my access at HULU without emailing me. I’m logged in always, so they could. Anyway they’re blocking my access to all sites and even to my computer when I haven’t even connected to the internet yet, if that’s the case. The white screen is there as soon as I turn on the computer now. PLEASE HELP ME! Thanks in advance for your help!:slight_smile:

[Also, you guys in Europe and elsewhere need to get all your own companies instead of microsoft etc, as the biggest corporations from the US are getting more and more like complete lowly criminals who will steal and plunder the ability of the entire population in order to squeeze even more money out of you, until you can’t function at all and the very supply chain is broken that they rely on too, because they are too stupid and too spoiled to know or understand even basic things.Plus companies like Micro soft and hp don’t even let you report anything and get a response unless you’re a big business with assistants to do all the hard work of writing and writing and writing before the slightest action is taken to fix anything.]
Thanks in advance for your help!:slight_smile:

I did not read all those run together line LOL

But from what I did read it sounds like a heating problem. Perhaps a fan has failed. You do know that hardware does break/ware out

Don’t tell us a story show use the facts. Did you ever look to the logs when the problem happens??