Problem after installing ATI-Driver

Hello,

I work with SuSE 11.1 and just installed the newest driver for my ATI Radeon HD 3670 graphics card. The installation went without problems but after rebooting the picture flow of the monitor is really slow (I think it’s called refresh rate?). I tried to configure it via SaX2, but I got the following message:

X configuration: Data incomplete in file /var/lib/sax/xorg.conf Undefined Screen “aticonfig-Screen[0]-0” referenced by ServerLayout “Layout[all]”

Here’s what I found in that file (I copied just the important parts):

# /.../
# SaX generated X11 config file
# Created on: 2009-11-24T18:40:13+0100.
#
# Version: 8.1
# Contact: Marcus Schaefer <sax@suse.de>, 2005
# Contact: SaX-User list <https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/sax-users>
#
# Automatically generated by [ISaX] (8.1)
# PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE!
#
Section "Module"
  Load         "extmod"
  Load         "dbe"
  Load         "glx"
  Load         "freetype"
  Load         "dri"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
  DisplaySize  408 255
  HorizSync    30-83
  Identifier   "Monitor[0]"
  ModelName    "HP W1907"
  Option       "DPMS"
  Option       "PreferredMode" "1440x900"
  VendorName   "HWP"
  VertRefresh  43-76
  UseModes     "Modes[0]"
EndSection

Section "Modes"
  Identifier   "Modes[0]"
  Modeline 	"1440x900" 106 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 903 909 934 +hsync -vsync
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  DefaultDepth 24
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth      15
    Modes      "1440x900" "1366x768" "1360x768" "1280x800" "1152x864" "1280x768" "1280x720" "1024x768" "1280x600" "1024x600" "800x600" "768x576" "640x480" 
    Virtual    3840 1200
  EndSubSection
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth      16
    Modes      "1440x900" "1366x768" "1360x768" "1280x800" "1152x864" "1280x768" "1280x720" "1024x768" "1280x600" "1024x600" "800x600" "768x576" "640x480" 
    Virtual    3840 1200
  EndSubSection
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth      24
    Virtual    3840 1200
  EndSubSection
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth      8
    Virtual    3840 1200
  EndSubSection
  Device       "Device[0]"
  Identifier   "Screen[0]"
  Monitor      "Monitor[0]"
EndSection

Section "Device"
  BoardName    "ATI Radeon HD 3670"
  Driver       "radeonhd"
  Identifier   "Device[0]"
  Option       "monitor-default" "Monitor[0]"
  Screen       0
  VendorName   "ATI"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier   "Layout[all]"
  InputDevice  "Keyboard[0]" "CoreKeyboard"
  InputDevice  "Mouse[1]" "CorePointer"
  Option       "Clone" "off"
  Option       "Xinerama" "off"
  Screen       "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Group      "video"
    Mode       0660
EndSection

So, um, I don’t really know how to change the configuration to the standart norms (1440x900 , 60Hz), could someone please help me? :slight_smile:

see if there is anything in this thread for you, you may want to check back a bit from where I link you to:
How to discover which video driver is in use - Page 4 - openSUSE Forums

Well, the 2 commands written there

aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

and

aticonfig --initial -f

I’ve already tried. But after rebooting it was the same. I also tried “amdcccle”, but I got the following:

X Error: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation) 1
  Extension:    129 (Uknown extension)
  Minor opcode: 19 (Unknown request)
  Resource id:  0x17
amdcccle: xcb_io.c:454: _XRead: Zusicherung »dpy->xcb->reply_data != 0« nicht erfüllt.
Abgebrochen

It’s a german computer, so the words below mean something like

amdcccle: xcb_io.c:454: _XRead: Insurance »dpy->xcb->reply_data != 0« not fulfilled.
Process stopped.

my guess is that the radeonhd driver is being loaded (from the driver line in your post) and you have unremoved libraries from a previous fglrx install (the ati-monitor line that sax2 dislikes). If it were me, as root after a console login, i’d run “sh fglrx-uninstall.sh” or "rpm -e $(rpm -qa ‘fglrx’) depending on how you originally installed the fglrx driver.

this will make sure it’s gone…

then “sax2 -r -m 0=radeonhd” … set up the screen

reboot and you should be back to normal.

trying to install the newer ATI driver might not be advisable until some problems are ironed out, especially if you are using 11.2. iirc, all the ATI proprietary drivers from 9.9+ will enter some xorg.conf lines that sax2 will not interpret and force you to use amdcccle only.

good luck.

Neither of the commads has worked for me, it says it can’t find the directory/rpm package. The first time I tried to install it via YaST, but that caused problems so I uninstalled it and downloaded the version directly from the ATI Support site.
Also, I actually do not really want to uninstall the ATI driver, because I wanted 3D graphics… Thanks for the advice, though. :slight_smile:
Is there any other way to make my screen normal again and to keep the fglrx driver?

if you still want the ati proprietary driver, by all means, download the version you want and install it via rpm per the recommended instructions, or run the ati installer. Be aware that it may lead you right back to where you are now, usually the ati-installer removes everything it installed if there is something wrong, but in your case, you were able to use aticonfig --initial, even thou the install was incomplete (which gave you the xorg.conf entry that sax2 dislikes).

you could probably run “sax2 -r -m 0=radeonhd” as root from a console login and at least have a serviceable desktop, and deal with learning to install the ati driver when you have a better feel for what needs to be done.

good luck.

From what I can see, the “ServerLayout” section tries to use a screen identified as “aticonfig-Screen[0]-0”. However, the screen defined in your config is identified as "“Screen[0]”.

I had to do some manual changes in xorg.config when I had installed the propiatery drivers. Send me a pm or something and I will try to help you.

Completely remove your xorg.conf, then execute

aticonfig --initial

and reboot to see what happened.

The SaX2 issue is solved. Still trying to find out why the picture flow is slow.

Ok, so now the SaX2 works fine, and resolution etc. is ok, too. Still, when I scroll webpages or even my own files, it’s very slow. I know for sure that my graphics card isn’t too slow, because before the installation of the proprietary driver everything was fine. I’ve also googled my problem and it seems I’m not the only one having this problem. I haven’t found any solutions, though.
Here’s the Device section of my xorg.conf file:

Section "Device"
  BoardName    "ATI Radeon HD 3670"
  Driver       "fglrx"
  Identifier   "Device[0]"
  Option       "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"
  Option       "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
  Option       "Capabilities" "0x00000000"
  Option       "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
  Option       "FSAAScale" "0"
  Option       "FSAAEnable" "off"
  Option       "VideoOverlay" "on"
  VendorName   "ATI"
EndSection

The option “MigrationHeuristic” “greedy” I’ve put in myself because I’ve read it would help here: Your ATI Radeon very slow on Xorg X server 1.3? | LinuxInsight
It did give me a minor improvement, not much though.
Anyone an idea, please? :slight_smile:

What guide did u use installing the driver?
Can u use the catalyst control center?

I dont think u have to change anything in the etc xorg.conf

When computer starts has there been added startupalternatives try the new 1 if …then remove the old if u not need them.

I’ve installed the driver with the german guide found in the OpenSUSE Wiki - I’ve downloaded the file directly from the ATI support website and then installed it with the command

sh ./driver-name.sh

No, for some reason I can’t use the Catalyst Constrol Center. When I select it under “Applications”, nothing happens, when I type “amdcccle” in the console, the following comes:

X Error: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation) 1
  Extension:    129 (Uknown extension)
  Minor opcode: 19 (Unknown request)
  Resource id:  0x17
amdcccle: xcb_io.c:454: _XRead: Zusicherung »dpy->xcb->reply_data != 0« nicht erfüllt.
Abgebrochen

It’s a german computer, so the words below mean something like

amdcccle: xcb_io.c:454: _XRead: Insurance »dpy->xcb->reply_data != 0« not fulfilled.
Process stopped.

No, I haven’t noticed startupalternatives during the computer start… Just the normal boot menu like always.

I think that something is broken with your installation and the proprietary driver is no t working.

I suggest that you remove your xorg.conf (and all its backups in the /etc/X11 folder so there is no conf file in there - keep a backup although) and reinstall the ATI binary driver:

Boot to init 3 and login as root,

sh ati-driver-installer-9-11-x86.x86_64.run

After the installation has finished,

aticonfig --initial

and reboot.

If your resolution is wrong DO NOT USE SAX instead put the correct values for your monitor in the xorg.conf by editing the file manually.

Here is my xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"                             
        Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"          
        Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0 
EndSection                                         

Section "Files"
EndSection     

Section "Module"
EndSection      

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
        HorizSync    30.0 - 83.0             
        VertRefresh  56.0 - 75.0             
        Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
        Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
        Option      "DPMS" "false"
        Option      "PreferredMode" "1680x1050"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Driver      "fglrx"
        BusID       "PCI:3:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
        Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1680x1050"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

If again after that (it happened with me) the resolution is wrong, execute as root:

aticonfig --set-pcs-str="DDX,EnableRandR12,FALSE"

Try that and report.

It is amazing to me that no one has asked the basic question. What do you mean by “picture flow” and why do you say it is slow?

Refresh rate has nothing to do with speed of display. Refresh rate is the number of times per second the screen is drawn; a slow refresh rate might make the screen appear jerky or jumpy to some users. These days anything from 60 on up will give a smooth display without any jumpiness.

I think I’ve experienced this “picture flow” issue and usually take it to mean the driver install failed and fell back to VESA.

Please run the following command:

glxinfo | grep direct

This will tell us if direct rendering is actually enabled.

For me, I had to mv my xorg.conf (that way it’s created from scratch by the atidriver)

then use aticonf --initial

Sax2 method the I usually used in 11.1 always hangs.

With picture flow I mean that when I scroll something, it’s like there are waves rolling over the screen (big waves) ant with each wave the image moves, meaning it’s really slow. And sometimes the whole image on the screen is shaky, it’s like there are many small waves rolling really fast. I know, it’s hard to imagine, sorry that I can’t explain better.
This is what came after I tried your command:

vera@linux-dsz6:~> glxinfo | grep direct
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  143 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
  Serial number of failed request:  12
  Current serial number in output stream:  12

I think you’re right and the driver was somehow installed wrongly. I’ll try reinstalling it as soon as I have some time. :slight_smile: