Power profiles issue

Hi,

I am on openSUSE Tumbleweed and I ran into a problem. Going to the battery icon, there is no bar to set the energy profiles (power saving, balanced and performance). However, a message appears saying to try to install the power-profiles-daemon package, but when I try to install it via zypper from the terminal it gives me the following error:

Problem: 1: tlp-1.6.1-1.3.noarch installed conflicts with 'power-profiles-daemon' provided by power-profiles-daemon-0.21-1.1.x86_64 to be installed

Solution 1: The indicated actions will be performed:

uninstalling tlp-1.6.1-1.3.noarch

uninstalling tlp-rdw-1.6.1-1.3.noarch

Solution 2: do not install power-profiles-daemon-0.21-1.1.x86_64

Choose from the previous solutions by number or undo [1/2/a/d/?] (a):

Which option should I choose? Will something break if I decide to uninstall tlp and therefore it is better to keep it? Will it conflict with anything?

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to the openSUSE forums.

This points to a desktop environment. But you failed to explain what DE is used.

Also, please do not only post the part of the output that you think is important. Always post complete, including the line with the prompt and the command. Only so can others see what you did and what you got exactly as you see it.

Sorry about that.
I’m on KDE Plasma 6.0.4, and the command I gave to try to install is:
sudo zypper in power-profiles-daemon

The output I posted, however, was full!

I see the same on Plasma 6 (no energy profiles on th battery systray icon). Seems like this is connected to the power profiles daemon, which collides with tlp.

TLP however is the default energy manager on openSUSE installations (if you stick with the defaults during the installation process) and a highly configurable energy management tool. If you are interested into tweaking it you can edit /etc/tlp.conf. There is a very detailed documentation here: Settings — TLP 1.6 documentation

You can also just let it run with default settings and do nothing. The defaults are set in a logic manner that probably fit the average needs.

I personally use tlp and not power-profiles-daemon.

For very simple settings regarding screen brightness behaviour and such you can also use the KDE settings section “energy saving mode” (free translation).

Up to you… you should use the tool you prefer, power profiles daemon or tlp.

1 Like

Thank you very much, very satisfactory answer. If you tell me that it is all handled logically I will leave it as it is, without creating any conflicts or problems!

1 Like

Hello again,
I was just looking into tlp for different reasons again and realized that on a standard openSUSE install (at least on tumbleweed) it is not enabled by default.

So, if you want to use it make sure that it is enabled.
To check:

sudo systemctl status tlp

to enable and start tlp:

sudo systemctl enable --now tlp
1 Like

Thank you very much!!

1 Like

Update:
I studied the TLP configuration file for a while and set some values to my liking and I must say that, at least for now, the computer responds well. I wanted to set it up to make it as balanced as possible, but in such a way that when the computer is connected to the AC, TLP prioritises performance when necessary. I hope I have done well and I hope I can be of help to someone.

Below are the values I have given (the configuration file can be found in /etc/tlp.conf):

CPU_SCALING_GOVERNOR_ON_AC=ondemand
CPU_SCALING_GOVERNOR_ON_BAT=ondemand
CPU_BOOST_ON_AC=1
CPU_BOOST_ON_BAT=0
PLATFORM_PROFILE_ON_AC=performance
PLATFORM_PROFILE_ON_BAT=balanced

1 Like

Edit:

After becoming better informed and discovering that the parameters “ondemand” and “schedutil” are not supported in my case, I made the following and final changes specific to my case:

TLP_ENABLE=1
TLP_WARN_LEVEL=3
TLP_PERSISTENT_DEFAULT=0
CPU_SCALING_GOVERNOR_ON_AC=performance
CPU_SCALING_GOVERNOR_ON_BAT=powersave
CPU_ENERGY_PERF_POLICY_ON_AC=balance_performance
CPU_ENERGY_PERF_POLICY_ON_BAT=balance_power
CPU_BOOST_ON_AC=1
CPU_BOOST_ON_BAT=0
CPU_HWP_DYN_BOOST_ON_AC=1
CPU_HWP_DYN_BOOST_ON_BAT=0
PLATFORM_PROFILE_ON_AC=performance
PLATFORM_PROFILE_ON_BAT=balanced

I thought it was only fair to share and hope to be of help to someone who has had the same experience as me.

1 Like